Writing sample

jmjm

Writing sample

Postby jmjm » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:20 am

So since it's been a while since I wrote an essay for a test and even though the essay isn't probably the most important part of the lsat test, I wrote a sample response to an lsac writing prompt today. It raised a couple of questions for me about the nature of writing expected in such a sample. It'd be useful for me if someone critiqued the sample.

If an LS student or someone who's good at lsat or such writing is reading this and can critique my sample, could you please pm. Thanks.

JWP1022

Re: Writing sample

Postby JWP1022 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:31 am

jmjm wrote:So since it's been a while since I wrote an essay for a test and even though the essay isn't probably the most important part of the lsat test, I wrote a sample response to an lsac writing prompt today. It raised a couple of questions for me about the nature of writing expected in such a sample. It'd be useful for me if someone critiqued the sample.

If an LS student or someone who's good at lsat or such writing is reading this and can critique my sample, could you please pm. Thanks.

Sure, PM it to me. You're probably fine. If it's at least relatively coherent you'll be ok.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:08 pm

JWP1022 wrote:Sure, PM it to me. You're probably fine. If it's at least relatively coherent you'll be ok.

PM'd

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 pm

P1
2 sentences - State which option you're going with, and assert that it will help reach the two goals.

P2
4 sentences - State that the option you picked will help with the first goal, and give reasons why. State why the option you didn't pick won't help with the first goal, and give reasons why.

P3
4 sentences - Same as P2, only with the second goal.

P3
1-2 sentences - Reassert that the option you picked will better achieve both goals.

Shouldn't be more than 12 sentences; shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 pm

bp shinners wrote:P1
2 sentences - State which option you're going with, and assert that it will help reach the two goals.

P2
4 sentences - State that the option you picked will help with the first goal, and give reasons why. State why the option you didn't pick won't help with the first goal, and give reasons why.

P3
4 sentences - Same as P2, only with the second goal.

P3
1-2 sentences - Reassert that the option you picked will better achieve both goals.

Shouldn't be more than 12 sentences; shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

I second this. It's essentially the exact format I went with on the October LSAT and I was done within 15min.

BFlanagan

Postby BFlanagan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 pm

This makes sense to me.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:54 am

All writing prompts seem to have the following form. And, usually one of the options is better on one criterion and slightly worse on another criterion than the other option. How formal could one go in these essays? Can it involve raising potential objections synthesized using provided facts about an option (say opt-1) when choosing it for a criterion over another option, say opt-2, using 'some critics may say' or some language of that form?

Prompt
Opt-1
Opt-2
Criterion-1
Criterion-2
Opt-1 information: Fact1_a fact1_b fact1_c…
Opt-2 information: Fact2_a fact2_b fact2_c…

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:42 am

jmjm wrote:So since it's been a while since I wrote an essay for a test and even though the essay isn't probably the most important part of the lsat test, I wrote a sample response to an lsac writing prompt today. It raised a couple of questions for me about the nature of writing expected in such a sample. It'd be useful for me if someone critiqued the sample.

Understatement of the forum.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”