What would you do in my situation? Answer please! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
doooook

New

What would you do in my situation? Answer please!

Post by doooook » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Last minute question. I am a senior, taking LSAT in June. I live in Hawaii, there are no other in-class courses offered here except for Kaplan. Today they have 20% off, class starts tonight, and I could get a full in-class course 2x p/week at night, for a month and a half for $1,119.

As I said, other prep classes by powerscore, etc are not available to me due to my isolated location! Is it bad to take a prep class 7 months before the lsat prep? What do you guys think about this? I constantly hear kaplan getting trashed, however it's my only option, besides studying on my own of course.

advice???? mahalo

rebexness

Gold

Re: What would you do in my situation? Answer please!

Post by rebexness » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Don't take kaplan.

You can take an online course through a reputable test prep company or you can self study using the 85673538759 methods available.

izzy895

New

Post by izzy895 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:31 pm

I agree that kaplan is not worth it. I took a prep course with kaplan when I initially started studying and although it was helpful to a degree, definitely not worth the 2gs. I learned a lot more with the bibles and Mlsat books and using the manhattan lsat forum for explanations. I can't speak on behalf of using a tutor but the consensus all over here was no and I am glad I listened.

Edited to add that I took the course with kaplan.

doooook

New

Post by doooook » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Appreciate the replies ! I decided to enroll, my parents basically want me in it just to give it a try.... so not much to lose on that end. If I don't like the instructor, I can cancel within a week and get all my $ back (which only came out to $1139 with a 20% off). Not as bad as I thought. With that is another free course from april - june next semester that I can enroll in when I am done with this one to refresh myself for june9 lsat.

I honestly do not have high hopes for this. Will see how it goes, I already have powerscore books, so I will be using those as well. As I said it's the only choice i have on the island, and I would kick myself if I ended up sucking on the actual test because I didn't give this a try. Thanks again

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Although I can't actually say anything about Kaplan based on personal experience, the fact that there is a universal consensus on TLS that they aren't worth your time should really tell you something.

What I can tell you from experience is that the #1 thing that will raise your score is disciplined self-study. I had 10 hours of tutoring, and it was helpful, but self-study is what got me there. Work through some books (read the stickies for ideas about which), drill till you drop, do lots of PTs, and always thoroughly review your mistakes.

If you really feel like you need something more structured like a class, there are several ones online that have good reputations (Blueprint, Manhattan, and 7sage come to mind). There are also plenty of tutors who offer remote tutoring if you can't find a good one in Hawaii.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iroh

Bronze

Post by Iroh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Like the others, I have never taken a Kaplan class (or any class, for that matter). But I trust the members of this forum when it comes to LSAT prep. I would jump ship ASAP. 7sage and Velocity have reputable online courses ( I used Velocity for games and thought it was great). I think the ideal combination is Velocity for LG and Manhattan for LR and RC. So what I would do is save that whopping $1,119 and buy the Manhattan LR and RC to supplement your Powerscore books, and sign up for Velocity's LG only section. Or, if you want to go all Velocity or all 7sage, that's cool too. Pick up the Cambridge packets or the 10 most recent LSAT books, or some combination of the two, and pick up PTs 40-70. But please, forget about Kaplan. You are fortunate enough to have a huge chunk of change to spend on prep. Use it wisely.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:45 pm

I tried Kaplan. It's worthless.

Load up on the manhattan series books. And practice! Good luck.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 pm

If you really need a course, try manhattan interactive lesson.

I tried it and like it a lot.

RC is extremely helpful.

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 am

Take that $1200 and buy the bibles and get a private tutor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm

I took the full Kaplan course. I found it helpful bc you had a scheduled time to study but when working full time it's not very helpful. If you're working, take a leave of absence from your job. Also, download all of the Kaplan tests that are available online in case you do have to retake. Once the course is over, you can no longer access anything even though you pay more than enough.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Nicolena. wrote:I took the full Kaplan course. I found it helpful bc you had a scheduled time to study but when working full time it's not very helpful. If you're working, take a leave of absence from your job. Also, download all of the Kaplan tests that are available online in case you do have to retake. Once the course is over, you can no longer access anything even though you pay more than enough.
LJL at anyone that needs to take off work to study for the LSAT.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:01 pm

It depends a lot on your self-discipline. I have no self-discipline so my course (Princeton Review, probably comparable to Kaplan) was really, really helpful because it gave me a time to show up in person, and a living, breathing human being who would hold me accountable for studying. If you're like that, I don't think self-study or an online course would be very useful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Motivator9

Bronze

Post by Motivator9 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 pm

cinephile wrote:It depends a lot on your self-discipline. I have no self-discipline so my course (Princeton Review, probably comparable to Kaplan) was really, really helpful because it gave me a time to show up in person, and a living, breathing human being who would hold me accountable for studying. If you're like that, I don't think self-study or an online course would be very useful.
Get the Manhattan books and the cambridge drilling packets. Stay away from Kaplan

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 pm

^ That really doesn't help someone who needs the structure of a class or needs a person to whom they can be responsible. Self-study isn't for everyone. It's great that it worked for you, but please understand that even the worst course can be really helpful in that it provides a structure to studying.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 am

If your parents want you to enroll, and they're paying for law school; do it.

SecondWind

Bronze

Post by SecondWind » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 pm

doooook wrote:Appreciate the replies ! I decided to enroll, my parents basically want me in it just to give it a try.... so not much to lose on that end. If I don't like the instructor, I can cancel within a week and get all my $ back (which only came out to $1139 with a 20% off). Not as bad as I thought. With that is another free course from april - june next semester that I can enroll in when I am done with this one to refresh myself for june9 lsat.

I honestly do not have high hopes for this. Will see how it goes, I already have powerscore books, so I will be using those as well. As I said it's the only choice i have on the island, and I would kick myself if I ended up sucking on the actual test because I didn't give this a try. Thanks again

When you get your online account, download and save all their explanations so you'll have them after the course is over.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:09 pm

do not take kaplan no matter what. tcr is self study with manhattan if blueprint is not available.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:16 pm

jordan15 wrote:Take that $1200 and buy the bibles and get a private tutor.
Do this.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:22 pm

skip powerscore... this isn't 2008 anymore.

lsat trainer and manhattan package > powerscore

all day everyday

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”