At what point is too much drilling?

At what point is too much drilling?

Postby kennedy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:04 am

Currently PTing mid 150s. Barely scratched the surface for LG, currently trying to intensely study LR using Powerscore. I'm using corresponding Cambridge packets, but at what point is it just a waste of time and too much drilling? Or, is it never too much? For example, there are 228 questions for necessary assumptions in Cambridge. Did you do all of them? I want to do all of them, but I'm just wondering if there's like a diminishing return at some point, if that makes any sense. My goal is to be ready by Feb., but I'm studying with a full course load and worried about getting everything done in time to be prepared.
Last edited by kennedy on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: At what point is too much drilling?

Postby JWP1022 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 am

At the very very least, do all of: Necessary Asssumption, Sufficient Assumption, Strengthen/Weaken, and Flaw.

Postby magickware » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 am

Diminishing return is when you know you know everything and your results show that you know everything and yet you continue to drill those particular question types.

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Never, or at least that point lies beyond having done every LR question once. Probably somewhere around having done every LR question twice. If you want to do your absolute best, you should keep working and not worry about diminishing returns.

Also, make sure you're drilling efficiently, e.g. reviewing your wrong answers and right answers you weren't 100% sure of.

Postby Iroh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 pm

I wouldn't say there's diminishing returns with doing them all once. I also don't know what you would be doing with your time that would be more productive. It never hurts to see new questions, particularly if you get them wrong and learn from your mistakes. The only reason I would say NOT to do most of the questions in the packet is if you plan on testing heavily from the PTs they're drawn from. But ideally, you'll be PTing from 40 and upwards.

Postby koalacity » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Ditto what everyone else has said-definitely do all of the major LR types at the very least. What's your goal score? If you're aiming to move up to the high 160's or 170+, I would do all questions for every LR type-you've got enough time if you're not taking it until February. Most critically, as others have said, make sure you review and review effectively. I personally didn't take the time to review questions for which I was 100% certain about my answer, but I reviewed all of the ones I wasn't sure about (I circled them while drilling to indicate) and, of course, any that I got wrong. Usually, I'd look up explanations on the Manhattan forums and write out an explanation next to the question about why the right answer was correct and why the incorrect answers I hadn't been able to confidently eliminate were wrong. I know it's tedious, but LR is 50% of the test, so it's a worthwhile investment. I found it easiest to do 10-25 of a question type in a sitting, then review them immediately afterward-if I put it off until the next day or even later the same day, I tended to get behind and it wasn't as effective as reviewing when it was fresh in my mind.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”