how much time to spend doing paralell flaws?

flash21

how much time to spend doing paralell flaws?

Postby flash21 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:35 am

I've never really drilled them much, but let me explain why,

I've been focusing more on questions that I am bad at that appear more frequently, but when I do parallel flaws I'm almost certain to get them wrong.. how much time do you guys spend on them? I ask because they are not very frequent but at the same time I shouldnt neglect them

nothingtosee

Re: how much time to spend doing paralell flaws?

Postby nothingtosee » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:49 am

flash21 wrote:I've never really drilled them much, but let me explain why,

I've been focusing more on questions that I am bad at that appear more frequently, but when I do parallel flaws I'm almost certain to get them wrong.. how much time do you guys spend on them? I ask because they are not very frequent but at the same time I shouldnt neglect them

What score are you aiming for on test day?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 am

Parallel flaw questions are not difficult once you break them down. Read the stimulus like you would with a normal flaw question. Prephrase the flaw in the stimulus, as usual. Then quickly process the actual structure of the stimulus, in the same way as you do a normal parallel question. When looking at the ACs, you treat them like normal parallel reasoning ACs, but you make sure that the answer that matches has one added dimension of parallelism, which is just that its flaw is similar. In the same way you break down a parallel reasoning Q, then find the AC with matching argumentation and structure, you find the AC with matching argumentation and structure, but make sure that the argument is ultimately faulty in the same way as the stimulus. Which is sort of similar what you do in parallel principle Qs.

Which is just a really long-winded way of saying: take stimulus, read like flaw Q, process structure like parallel Q, let rise for 45 minutes, attack answer choices.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:57 am

aiming for 160.

Thanks dangerous LG, that was some good info.

Nightingale

Postby Nightingale » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:52 am

My advice for parallel flaw (or just parallel reasoning in general) is to break the argument down into x's, y's, and z's. (If x, then y... if y then z...). And the most important thing to look for is the conclusion. The conclusions must match. If the conclusion in the argument uses strong language (must, definitely, always), the conclusion in the correct answer will be the same. Conversely, if the conclusion in the argument uses weaker language (some, probably) look for that in the correct answer. If an answer does not follow this, it will be wrong.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”