am i late if im starting preparing now for LSAT DEC 2013

jaslin25

am i late if im starting preparing now for LSAT DEC 2013

Postby jaslin25 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 am

is self study sufficient for LSAT or do i need to take coaching classes?
what all books should i buy ? is Kaplan a good pick?

Howl

Re: am i late if im starting preparing now for LSAT DEC 2013

Postby Howl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:29 am

For the love of God...do not buy Kaplan unless it is the "LSAT Mastery Practice" book, where they only use real questions.

The three Powerscore Bibles are widely acclaimed and I used them to good effect. In addition, I got ManhattanLSAT Logical Reasoning, which together with the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible is great for mastering LR and giving you a really solid base on conditional reasoning and formal logic.

Howl

Postby Howl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:34 am

In terms of scheduling and being prepared for the Dec LSAT - that really depends on how much time you can spare for the LSAT from here on out. Are you taking classes? Are you working? These factors will limit how many hours you can put into LSAT every day, every week. If you are doing absolutely nothing but studying for the next 2 months, I think it is definitely doable. If you have other stuff going on in your life, you need to consider how many hours a week you can actually spend on the LSAT.

jaslin25

Postby jaslin25 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:39 am

Howl wrote:In terms of scheduling and being prepared for the Dec LSAT - that really depends on how much time you can spare for the LSAT from here on out. Are you taking classes? Are you working? These factors will limit how many hours you can put into LSAT every day, every week. If you are doing absolutely nothing but studying for the next 2 months, I think it is definitely doable. If you have other stuff going on in your life, you need to consider how many hours a week you can actually spend on the LSAT.

im solely preparing for lsat for 2 months. and there is this kaplan centre available for classroom classes. so im confused if i should go for the classes or buy the powerscore bibles n prep tests and prepare all by myself

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:11 am

jaslin25 wrote:
Howl wrote:In terms of scheduling and being prepared for the Dec LSAT - that really depends on how much time you can spare for the LSAT from here on out. Are you taking classes? Are you working? These factors will limit how many hours you can put into LSAT every day, every week. If you are doing absolutely nothing but studying for the next 2 months, I think it is definitely doable. If you have other stuff going on in your life, you need to consider how many hours a week you can actually spend on the LSAT.

im solely preparing for lsat for 2 months. and there is this kaplan centre available for classroom classes. so im confused if i should go for the classes or buy the powerscore bibles n prep tests and prepare all by myself

Read stickied forums. Also, yes. Study for June.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am

do moar

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 am

Unless you can devote 50+ hours per week to LSAT prep over the next two months, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to perform at your maximum potential in December.

As others have said, the Kaplan books are not very good. Consult the stickied threads for recommendations.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 am

Yes, youre late.

Noodley's guide in the stickies lists the best resources, imo

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

If you have the motivation, self study is def sufficient for this test, also necessary for the most part.

Two months is probably not enough time. It could be, but the vast majority of people here need more than that. See if you are (at least somewhat) CONSISTENTLY PTIng at or above the level you want to be at two weeks or so before the test. And don't sell yourself short- set expectations high. If you aren't at the level you want, strongly consider waiting a cycle. It sometimes sucks to decide this (I did it, twice), but it's absolutely worth it.

And don't do Kaplan. They are a large test company that appeals to the average taker. The average taker doesn't put nearly enough time into this test (and scores around 151). If you have the motivation, paying for a course isn't worth it. Get the LSAT trainer, get Cambridge packets, get PTs, and you are set.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”