Possible to abandon previous preptests and still score 170+?

modusponen

Possible to abandon previous preptests and still score 170+?

Postby modusponen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi guys. I wanted to know if anyone had gone against the grain and not purchased all of the previously released LSAT's and still managed to score over 170? I've tried to focus in on the recent LSAT's with the new layout for logic games, but I see a lot of people suggesting getting tests 1-69, which(along with supplemental books) would constitute a great financial hardship. It has been a blessing to see how many successful lsat takers are so willing to help those without a lot of cash to spare. 7sage and Graeme Blake's breakdowns of logic games and logical reasoning are worth some sort of humanitarian prize I'm sure. But I want to know if it's possible to not be as voluminous with prep tests and still crack the magical 170 or more?

bobtheblob916

Re: Possible to abandon previous preptests and still score 170+?

Postby bobtheblob916 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:53 pm

I definitely don't think it's necessary to buy ALL of them. It's only partially about how many PrepTests you do - HOW you do them is more important. As in:

- are you drilling properly?

- are you taking full time preptests (when the time is right)?

- are you carefully reviewing all incorrect answers AND any questions you found difficult (I recommend circling hard Qs as you're taking the test)?

- are you redoing questions/passages/games that gave you a lot of trouble, once enough time has passed where you don't still remember the solutions?

I think once you get to the full preptest stage, you'll start to want as many full tests to take as possible. But that's further on down, and besides, time is an issue. There's no reason to buy all the tests on day 1. Get things as you require them. It's really impossible to predict what you'll need now. For example, I plateau'd on RC, fluctuating between -7 and -2 with only a few weeks left. So I got a bunch of new PTs, just for the RC, and started doing 2-3 a day on top of my regular study plan. I also took the extra LRs and started doing the last 10 Qs on each section, since those are the hardest. Completely ignored the LGs.

I'd say PTs 60-69 are absolutely essential. I just took the October exam, and these ten are very similar to the style of that test, so save them for full PTs. 50-59 are very useful, too. Beyond that I'd generally go for what's most affordable. There are a bunch of hard PTs in the 20s and 30s that provide good practice.

In total, I probably did 25-30 full timed tests, but I'm guessing that I dipped into 55-60 of the PTs. More is generally better, but it's not essential. If I didn't have the spare cash for those PTs, I'm sure I could have benefited from redoing more old sections. Once you're studying for hours upon hours every day, you tend to forget specific questions in lieu of concepts and approaches. A sections from two months ago is as good as new, for me at least. But that's my main point, it really depends on YOU.

redsox

Postby redsox » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Of course it's possible. There are people who could walk in cold and score a 170.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:36 am

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25 am

I have plenty of students in my classes who break into the 170s with only taking 15-20 PTs. However, they also did a ton of problems as part of their prep, both in my class and outside.

If you're brute forcing your studies (JUST taking PTs), then you'll have to take more, as it will take you a longer time to find the patterns by looking through a large amount of data. If you're using prep materials, it will take fewer PTs, as you're being given those patterns on an intellectual level and then use PTs to solidify your practical understanding of those patterns.

That being said, taking more PTs (until the point where you burn yourself out) is generally better than taking fewer PTs.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:38 am

Used book stores around me always have tons of barely used or unused copies of the Bibles and various other supplements. I see preptests in their sometimes too. You should definitely look around and see what you can find.

modusponen

Postby modusponen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Does date of publication of prep materials matter? Is getting some books from 2009 and 2010 a huge drop off from what I need to know for this year's test?

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:18 pm

The only thing I can think of that might bite you from getting older study books is lack of prep for rule equivalency questions on LG (I assume newer versions of things have this?). Fortunately, Manhattan has a free white paper on it. So you would probably be okay without the newest editions.

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:37 pm

modusponen wrote:Hi guys. I wanted to know if anyone had gone against the grain and not purchased all of the previously released LSAT's and still managed to score over 170? I've tried to focus in on the recent LSAT's with the new layout for logic games, but I see a lot of people suggesting getting tests 1-69, which(along with supplemental books) would constitute a great financial hardship. It has been a blessing to see how many successful lsat takers are so willing to help those without a lot of cash to spare. 7sage and Graeme Blake's breakdowns of logic games and logical reasoning are worth some sort of humanitarian prize I'm sure. But I want to know if it's possible to not be as voluminous with prep tests and still crack the magical 170 or more?

It is absolutely possible to do that. Taking that many pt's is overkill for plenty of people.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”