RC material Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jmjm

Bronze

RC material

Post by jmjm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:21 pm

After having exhausted RC from all PTs I'm looking for new RC material with passages and questions similar to Lsat. I'll be redoing some RC from PTs but will need fresh RC passage-questions to gauge progress.
Is there fresh books/material or lsat-type passage and question combo to practice?

Edit: for LG I used the book ace-the-lsat that had made up but more difficult questions by book authors than the lsat. I'd like something similar for RC if it exists.

jordan15

Bronze

Re: RC material

Post by jordan15 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Princeton Review has tons of original LSAT problems.

After I exhaust all of those, I'm going to see if the GMAT, MCAT, or GRE has a similar section...I'm assuming they do.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 pm

I think its Cambridge that sells the PDFs of RC passages by subject type. If you haven't exhausted them already, they are definitely worth it.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:00 am

Went to B&N today to check out PtonReview book. The PR's "cracking the lsat" book only has 3 practice tests (with made-up questions that are presumably more difficult than real lsat), which means only 3 RC sections. Thus, still looking for RC material..

The passages/question types for MCAT RC is too different to be applicable for LSAT. Also, from my first-hand experience, no point doing GMAT RC. GMAT RC is nothing compared to LSAT RC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

You can try doing some GRE RC passages, but I think they will be of limited value. They are far too simple, vary in length, and aren't as harshly timed. That said, if your main issue is that you zone out or you just want to practice an annotation strategy, I suppose they could be useful. You can also use the Indian versions of the LSAT: --LinkRemoved--

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 am

I had this same issue studying for my October retake, as I had already read all but 7 or so passages before the June test. Personally, I found that redoing passages did not change my approach very much; for the most part, I had forgotten those passages.

As for new material, I am not aware of good third-party fake passages, but the TLS consensus seems to be that reading the Economist and Scientific American is helpful. I also recommend the Atlantic, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, NYT op-eds, WSJ op-eds, New York Magazine, David Foster Wallace's "Consider the Lobster and Other Essays" and "Infinite Jest" (the latter is really good for concentration), and The Noam Chomsky Reader. Plus whatever else you stumble across.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

banjo wrote:You can try doing some GRE RC passages, but I think they will be of limited value. They are far too simple, vary in length, and aren't as harshly timed. That said, if your main issue is that you zone out or you just want to practice an annotation strategy, I suppose they could be useful. You can also use the Indian versions of the LSAT: --LinkRemoved--
Wow, LSAT-Indian? I didn't even aware of that.

But I think the first free test is just PT 51.5 June 2007

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”