Preptest 36 Sec 3 #13

dadownclub8

Preptest 36 Sec 3 #13

Postby dadownclub8 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:40 pm

I ended up choosing A which is the correct answer however feel that answer choice E is tempting as well. Can anybody clarify why E is definitely a wrong answer choice?

allsystemsgo

Re: Preptest 36 Sec 3 #13

Postby allsystemsgo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:36 am

E is wrong because the argument doesn't ignore that possibility. "rather are caused by some sort of purely organic condition, such as..." What follows are two obvious examples of organic conditions/factors. The argument doesn't say these are the only possible organic conditions/factors at work.

nooooo

Postby nooooo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:39 am

Answer (E) mentions neuroses, when the argument is based on psychoses.

The stimulus brings up neuroses simply as a means to contrast factors of psychoses. While it does ignore the possibility, it doesn't hurt/help the argument in the sense that it's about psychoses (and factors about it) essentially.

At least, that's how I read it. I always double check the wording when my answers vacillate between A/E. Those test-makers know you're on the way out of the question, then BAM, reasonable answer as E. Switch a word around and they trapped you.

allsystemsgo

Postby allsystemsgo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:20 pm

nooooo wrote:Answer (E) mentions neuroses, when the argument is based on psychoses.

The stimulus brings up neuroses simply as a means to contrast factors of psychoses. While it does ignore the possibility, it doesn't hurt/help the argument in the sense that it's about psychoses (and factors about it) essentially.

At least, that's how I read it. I always double check the wording when my answers vacillate between A/E. Those test-makers know you're on the way out of the question, then BAM, reasonable answer as E. Switch a word around and they trapped you.

Damn..it's a good thing it was still wrong with me not noticing the psychoses/neuroses switch. It's always good to be reminded to be extramega vigilant.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”