To those who work full time, what is your study schedule?

tbesancon

To those who work full time, what is your study schedule?

Postby tbesancon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:55 pm

I am signed up for the December LSAT, but find that it is really difficult to get an LSAT study routine in while working full time. I took the June 2012 LSAT while still in undergrad, and it was much easier to incorporate study sessions with the flexibility of my school schedule. It is not so much the case anymore.

Right now, I study Mon-Fri from 1-2 hours a day, and then on Saturday I will do a PT, review it on Sunday. What do your study schedules look like? Any advice?

Also, I took my first PT Saturday since taking the LSAT back in 2012. I received a 163 on it which is about where I expected to be having not taken an actual test since then. With working full time, is getting around 175 a feasible goal for Decembers test? If it helps, I just switched from Kaplan to Manhattan but have yet to finish the LR or LG books.
Last edited by tbesancon on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuneiform

Re: To those who work full time, what is your study schedule?

Postby Cuneiform » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I commute to work via train, so I was able to make time in the morning and evening to study while commuting. After I got home in the evening I would study for another 2-4 hours. Saturdays and Sundays were filled with nothing but PTs and drilling.

It actually got to the point where it was almost like an addiction. I found myself unable to focus at work because I constantly felt compelled to crack open my study books and go to town. I genuinely enjoyed my study time.

Spending 8 hours a day studying on the weekends helped train me for endurance. When I got out of the test on Saturday, I thought, "That's it? But we have plenty of daylight hours to keep going!"

I still hate mornings though. I wish I had taken the June test.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 pm

I wrote this guide for TLS about how to fit in studying time while working or in school:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/lsat-pre ... chool.html

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 pm

I worked ~10h/week at a ridiculously low-key job while going to school from February to June. Finding study time was no problem at all.

From June-October, I worked 11-8pm, 5 days a week. I would get up at 7, do a PT, go to work, then review it when I got home. I had the luxury of already being very good at the LSAT before I started this schedule, though. It would have been a lot tougher to also fit in the kind of drilling that made Feb-June so productive.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I studied at night for 2ish hours and then on weekends for 3-5 hours per day. (i work full time)

This time I am going to try to add in a full section when I wake up, as well as being MORE productive/focused during my normal sessions, plus at least 4 on the weekends. I am doing a dedicated day off versus just taking one (or 5) when I needed it.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I worked full time while also a part time grad student, so I know how difficult it is. For that reason, I actually studied about 7 months since occasionally I had days or weeks I couldn't get much studying in.

My typical schedule: 2-4 hours each week night. Often this consisted of drilling or doing 35min PT sections individually. I would do a PT every saturday morning beginning around 7 or 8am. I would then have a small brunch after the test and immediately review the exam. Then in the afternoon I would do more drilling and sometimes a second full PT. Sunday was typically just drilling and going over my latest PT answers to ensure I understood them fully. Sat and Sun I would devote 6-12 hours, depending on my work/class workload at the time. I was typically able to get in about 25+ hours of studying each week, but obviously I had to sacrifice my social life (and time with the gf) a lot as my life literally consisted of working 40-50 hrs per week, grad school classes, and LSAT. If you're serious about doing well and commit to at least a couple hours each night of FOCUSED studying with full days on weekends, you should do well. Good luck.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:I wrote this guide for TLS about how to fit in studying time while working or in school:

Read this.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:42 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:I wrote this guide for TLS about how to fit in studying time while working or in school:

Read this.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I followed a modified version of the LSAT Blog's guide. So I'd recommend checking it out as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”