. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BerkeleyMan5

New

Post by BerkeleyMan5 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:14 pm

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Chriz

Bronze

Re: Cancel?

Post by Chriz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:45 pm

I wouldn't cancel. I know I would want to know what I got and it won't hurt you. It counts as a take either way so you might as well just check it out and kill it next time.

BerkeleyMan5

New

Post by BerkeleyMan5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 am

There's really no benefit to cancelling unless your situation was extreme- ie, you misbubbled or for some reason didn't complete a significant amount of questions, because then you could possibly have to deal with an LSAC investigation if you went from a 145 to a 175 in 2 months.

It sounds like it's very possible that you still got a decent score and since some schools review completed applications when another score is in progress, you could still get accepted to some schools before you get your Dec score (and you could use the higher score to negotiate scholarships later). Btw, if your score is too low they will just hold your application until the new score comes in.

It also seems like you "weakness" is your psychological issues/anger management problems/stress issues. You should get these addressed before the Dec LSAT because having LG be your first section is not really a big deal. You should do all PTs now with LG first if it's really that big of a deal, and in the meantime, try to do some yoga and think happy and positive thoughts about the Dec LSAT.

BerkeleyMan5

New

Post by BerkeleyMan5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:54 am

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:28 am

BerkeleyMan5 wrote:Thank you Jordan. That is very good information. I'm going to try and learn how to keep calm even when faced with LGs in section 1. And you're right, that shouldn't have been enough to throw me off. I really just think I was burnt out on the exam going into it. I don't even want to calculate how many hours I've spent on this test in the last 4 months.
I completely understand and am glad you didn't think my remarks were rude. I'd really recommend starting a yoga class or some other type of exercise that helps you feel better. This is the only thing that helped my burnout that I got occasionally during undergrad.

Also, and this may seem unorthodox, perhaps you could talk to your doctor about getting a beta-blocker prescription. They are apparently very common among musicians and other performers who have to perform under pressure. They basically help you "keep your cool" without tranquilizing you (like anti-anxiety drugs). I'm taking the LSAT in Dec and I'm going to ask my doctor about them. Right now I feel like my studying is going well but I'm terrified that when I actually sit for the test I'm going to be next to some guy that has a foot tapping problem (or any other very trivial scenario) and I'm just going to lose it, so I completely empathize with you.

I'd also recommend taking this week off before you go back to studying to get some distance.
Last edited by jordan15 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BerkeleyMan5

New

Post by BerkeleyMan5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:39 am

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

splitcity

New

Post by splitcity » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 am

honestly, I think you should cancel. It sounds like you underperformed significantly and pretty much gave up midway through if not earlier. One of the most important skills the LSAT tests is your ability to move on unphased after being thrown a curve ball so that's something you should focus on for december.

From the info you gave, I think you should expect a score in the low 160s so if you're fine with that then just keep it and retake.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:01 am

That's a tough one...I usually recommend not to cancel, but it's a toss-up in your situation. It does sound like you pretty clearly underperformed. I might lean toward canceling if I were you. Anyway, if you do cancel (or even if you don't but plan on retaking):

1. Take a little vacation. Even if it's just a weekend at the beach, take some time to relax and not think about the LSAT at all. Make sure you still keep your mind sharp (read the Economist/Scientific American/interesting books and do some sudoku, etc.), but don't touch any LSAT material for a week.

2. Get exercise. I went to the gym 4-6 days a week leading up to the LSAT, and this definitely relieved stress. Yoga is great if there's a good studio that's convenient for you, but just running on a treadmill and lifting weights can do wonders too. There's something about running and lifting weights that just melts away all anxiety.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”