Post removed.

CookieDough

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby CookieDough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:46 pm

bee wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
dosto5 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:The sad thing is, it's easier said than done. I very, very clearly remember halfway through the first section thinking, "shit I need to cancel" and was totally unable to shake that mantra for the entire test.

Yeah I know it's extremely tough and probably the toughest part of the test for many people imo. But at least now you've been there, you've been in that situation, you've reacted the wrong way (kind of), and now you can use that experience to your advantage. Again these are a bunch of hollow words because they don't really give any substantive advice, but I still think that visualizing different test day situations and having a plan ready is a good idea. Anything you can fall back on in case something happens, really.

I also did PTs in ridiculous conditions to get used to being upset during a test. Really helped the day of to not get thrown. I'd probably suggest finding question types that are very difficult/strange for you and just drill them until you get used to being uncomfortable.

this is something i should've done in october, but i just didn't have the time. i'll definitely try to do this the second time around :?

Not gonna lie, most of this was good studying and maaaaaybe once I did a PT on a beach in Mexico while drinking :oops:

I got a 174 though, so...? :)

ETA: On the PT. Clearly not on the real thing, or I wouldn't be freaking out :)
Last edited by CookieDough on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm

PrizeFighter wrote:
CookieDough wrote:For me, my nerves are shot leading up to the test (and obviously waiting for scores) but the day of I was fine. I honestly thought I was doing ok, which is somehow way more unsettling than thinking I was bombing...

I know that feel. My LR sections felt so smooth at the time, so I was floored with the results. I've got to find a way to keep myself from going on autopilot.

If you figure this out let me know lol I convinced myself that autopilot was a good thing... clearly not.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PrizeFighter

Postby PrizeFighter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 pm

CookieDough wrote:
PrizeFighter wrote:
CookieDough wrote:For me, my nerves are shot leading up to the test (and obviously waiting for scores) but the day of I was fine. I honestly thought I was doing ok, which is somehow way more unsettling than thinking I was bombing...

I know that feel. My LR sections felt so smooth at the time, so I was floored with the results. I've got to find a way to keep myself from going on autopilot.

If you figure this out let me know lol I convinced myself that autopilot was a good thing... clearly not.

There is a balance I need to find because I felt like it helped me on RC but hurt me on LR. I think the plan for this month isn't so much to sharpen my LSAT skills but to practice a mindset during timed conditions. Now, if I only knew how to go about doing that...

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:52 pm

arunanona09 wrote:
bee wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
dosto5 wrote:
Yeah I know it's extremely tough and probably the toughest part of the test for many people imo. But at least now you've been there, you've been in that situation, you've reacted the wrong way (kind of), and now you can use that experience to your advantage. Again these are a bunch of hollow words because they don't really give any substantive advice, but I still think that visualizing different test day situations and having a plan ready is a good idea. Anything you can fall back on in case something happens, really.

I also did PTs in ridiculous conditions to get used to being upset during a test. Really helped the day of to not get thrown. I'd probably suggest finding question types that are very difficult/strange for you and just drill them until you get used to being uncomfortable.

this is something i should've done in october, but i just didn't have the time. i'll definitely try to do this the second time around :?

My room/environment was terrible for october so ill definitely need to try this for december as well...prepare for the worst :cry:

It seems a little silly, but using a tiny desk, with AC blasting and music playing is actually a really good prep environment to get used to... Getting surprised by a desk that doesn't even fit your answer sheet is the worst :x

Edited b/c I apparently can't TLS and work at the same time :/
Last edited by CookieDough on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:55 pm

dosto5 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:hmm.. I should try the beta blocker thing..but prescription?

:(

I may be in the minority, but no way am I even interested in messing with any sort of medication. Especially if you don't have sufficient time to prep with it and see how it affects you. Just seems like a bad idea to be out of your normal mental state on test day.

I think 30+ days is enough time for me personally seeing as through my life I've had a smorgasbord of medications in me at one given time because I'm a walking medical mess.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:55 pm

dosto5 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:hmm.. I should try the beta blocker thing..but prescription?

:(

I may be in the minority, but no way am I even interested in messing with any sort of medication. Especially if you don't have sufficient time to prep with it and see how it affects you. Just seems like a bad idea to be out of your normal mental state on test day.

CookieDough wrote:Pretty sure this is exactly what happened to me. I also think I'm going to avoid people day of next time. Talking to them really shook my focus during break.

Haha, I avoided everyone during break. Just ran into a corner and stared out the window.

This is clearly the best answer. I will give in to my antisocial tendencies!

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Please PM me the link for the PT 57 review as well

MinuetinG

Postby MinuetinG » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm

I just quietly ate my snack and avoided contact with all people during my test. I'd love to join the review of PT57 on Sunday too.

santoki

Postby santoki » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:20 pm

might i ask where this review is taking place?

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Yeap, I avoided everyone during the break. I might be all loud here and stuff on the boards but IRL I'm about as shy as shy can be.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't know of any beta blockers available over the counter (at least that contain effective doses of propranolol or oxprenolol). Also, if you do get a prescription for a beta blocker, you should know that the FDA has not approved them as effective treatments for anxiety. I can certainly see BBs reducing the physical [somatic] aspects of anxiety or stress (b/c they work by lessening the release of both epinephrine [adrenaline] and norepinephrine [noradrenaline]). What they certainly won't stop is the mental and emotional aspects of test anxiety. I think adrenaline/noradrenaline are a big part of the extreme focus you get on test day, so I personally wouldn't advocate using BBs to reduce the body's "fight or flight" response. No drug I know of will stop someone's pessimistic thoughts or psyching yourself out on test day. Though you could always just use a shitton of beta blockers and nootropics and see what happens.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:33 pm

bee wrote:
Austinbound wrote:Hello December Retakers. When are ya'll submitting your apps? I have an LSAT score from October 2012 but I'm taking this test again in December. I obviously want them to use my December score because I know that I will have a much better outcome this time. Should I wait until we get our scores in January? :/ I hate the thought of waiting that long but part of me thinks that it's best

okay, since this has been asked a lot in the last few pages: the tls consensus seems to be that schools won't look at your app if you tell them that you have a score incoming. therefore, it is completely up to your personal taste when you complete your apps/submit them.

i personally am going to submit them during the waiting period, before christmas, so schools will have my complete app as soon as scores come out and can start reviewing ASAP.

Thank you for telling me this so that I didn't have to scroll through 20 pages of text

And I also think that's what I want to do. I would rather know that all they have to wait on is my new score. I may hold off on my reach schools if I don't feel confident about the test.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:38 pm

arunanona09 wrote:
PotenC wrote:Checking in. Misbubbled the last section (offset by one) and went -12, with only -5 in all the other sections combined. Got a letter back from the LSAC handscoring department this morning that there was going to be no change.

How much of a detriment do you guys think applying at the end of December and two retakes is for top schools?

I've had this thought too. I talked to the pre law advisor at my school and she said that while apps are down this year (meaning it doesnt hurt you AS much to apply late), there is still some benefit to getting your apps in around thanksgiving/before christmas. I've had law schools counselors tell me that if you do submit your apps in nov/dec but note that you are planning to take december lsat, your app will just sit there. Anyone else have any thoughts?

My pre-law advisor told me the opposite. He said submitting late would be detrimental in past years, but not so much now due to the decreasing number of (high quality) applicants.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Trainer is going really well so far guys. I am already feeling good about December.

Still haven't taken a PT in almost a month

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm

re: beta blockers. I might take the herbal approach to this one.

Considering this: http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Capsul ... ta+blocker

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:47 pm

jk148706 wrote:Trainer is going really well so far guys. I am already feeling good about December.

Awesome! :D I can't wait to get home and dive into it. I'm pretty scared to do a PT... might jump on board this 57 Sunday review thing though...

Domke

Postby Domke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Just did my first PT since before the October test. 8 below my average :shock: the LSAT trainer cannot get here soon enough :)

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 pm

dosto5 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Trainer is going really well so far guys. I am already feeling good about December.

How far into the trainer are you? I suggest taking a PT asap just to get back into it. I took one last night and it felt good.

I have been through the Trainer already once so I'm working my way back through. I think I will take PT54 tomorrow morning and report back. Little nervous about jumping back on the PT train.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Domke wrote:Just did my first PT since before the October test. 8 below my average :shock: the LSAT trainer cannot get here soon enough :)

This is exactly why I'm hesitating. I haven't studied at all (arrogantly thought I wouldn't need to retake) and I'm suuuuper rusty!

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Should I start back up with a fresh PT or one I used for my June prep? I don't really have many more fresh PT's, especially in the 60's.

PrizeFighter

Postby PrizeFighter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:11 pm

CookieDough wrote:
Domke wrote:Just did my first PT since before the October test. 8 below my average :shock: the LSAT trainer cannot get here soon enough :)

This is exactly why I'm hesitating. I haven't studied at all (arrogantly thought I wouldn't need to retake) and I'm suuuuper rusty!

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:12 pm

CookieDough wrote:

Same here :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”