Post removed.

Hotguy

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 pm

dosto wrote:How are you all feeling regarding your problem areas you wanted to work on after October? I'd request this to be put in poll form, but our benevolent leader has left us :( .

I've trimmed RC errors down to -1 on recent PTs thankfully. LR I was getting max -3 total on PTs before Oct; that didn't prevent a -9, and considering we'll probably get something similar, all I can tell myself is to pay more attention to nuances and not eliminate answers so quickly. Actually I have no idea how LR will work out. Games are sex, but I will obviously be very relieved if we get a standard section.

Pretty good so far. I'm also hoping for a standard lg section, but I find that unlikely to happen. Lg was never an issue for me. So far, for my past 4 fresh pts I haven't missed a single lr question. So for LR I feel pretty confident. LG has fluctuated from 0-2. My biggest issue right now is RC which is going around 5-7. I don't really know what to do to fix that at this point. Just hope to comprehend all the passages well enough on test day.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Hotguy wrote:
dosto wrote:How are you all feeling regarding your problem areas you wanted to work on after October? I'd request this to be put in poll form, but our benevolent leader has left us :( .

I've trimmed RC errors down to -1 on recent PTs thankfully. LR I was getting max -3 total on PTs before Oct; that didn't prevent a -9, and considering we'll probably get something similar, all I can tell myself is to pay more attention to nuances and not eliminate answers so quickly. Actually I have no idea how LR will work out. Games are sex, but I will obviously be very relieved if we get a standard section.

Pretty good so far. I'm also hoping for a standard lg section, but I find that unlikely to happen. Lg was never an issue for me. So far, for my past 4 fresh pts I haven't missed a single lr question. So for LR I feel pretty confident. LG has fluctuated from 0-2. My biggest issue right now is RC which is going around 5-7. I don't really know what to do to fix that at this point. Just hope to comprehend all the passages well enough on test day.

No misses in 4 fresh tests? Extremely, extremely, extremely impressive. Has that even ever been done before? I've only -0ed retakes.

Any particular type in RC you're missing more often than others? I struggled on a section today but once I reviewed it, I was reminded of just how direct RC is. All the answers are in that block of text. Even the inference questions, as you're normally just linking some things already in the text. If you're keeping track of what the author thinks and what roles the elements serve relative to each other, it's straightforward.
Last edited by Otunga on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Otunga wrote:
Hotguy wrote:

No misses in 4 fresh tests? Extremely, extremely, extremely impressive. Has that even ever been done before? I've only -0ed retakes.

Thank you. I'm not sure if it has been done. Maybe NoodleyOne has done it, but I think he was overall better than me, since he was also very good on lg and rc.
Also just a side note, those were done on pts 52, 67, 68, 69. I have yet to take 70.

Postby 062914123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Otunga wrote:
Hotguy wrote:

Any particular type in RC you're missing more often than others? I struggled on a section today but once I reviewed it, I was reminded of just how direct RC is. All the answers are in that block of text. Even the inference questions, as you're normally just linking some things already in the text. If you're keeping track of what the author thinks and what roles the elements serve relative to each other, it's straightforward.

My RC score got worse about ten pts ago. I think there are only two main factors that affected my performance the most, none of them being related to question types. First, about 4 weeks ago I started taking two pts a day for about 2 weeks(lots of retakes as well), and that made me get a bit burned out, so my ability to retain large stimulus has taken a hit which I hope to lower as soon as I take a two day break(Thursday and Friday). Secondly, I truly believe that the at least one question per passage has gotten harder/trickier compared to older pts. Any suggestions?

Bee what is making you do worse on LG?

Postby 062914123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 pm

bee wrote:
Hotguy wrote:Bee what is making you do worse on LG?

wish i knew

I mean, is it speed, or accuracy?

Postby 062914123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:16 pm

bee wrote:
Hotguy wrote:
bee wrote:
Hotguy wrote:Bee what is making you do worse on LG?

wish i knew

I mean, is it speed, or accuracy?

both. i should be both quicker and more accurate than i am now, just going by the sheer volume of games i've done. idk, at this point i'd be REALLY happy with -3 lg, lol.

I have a good friend who already took the lsat, but he also had a lot of problems with LG, while at the same time being very good on the other sections. What he did was whenever he saw that a game was slightly strict, or very strict, he would quickly write out all the possible scenarios(on the real lsat, he did that for all 4 games). He did tell me that even if he couldn't write out all possibilities, those hypos helped him understand the game better. He only started doing that on his last week of prep, and it worked really well for him. I don't personally use that approach, but maybe it could be helpful to you.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:08 am

PT 62 -- June 2010
-11/171

LR1: -1
LR2: -4 (exp) I REALLY struggle with back 2 back LR
LG: -0
LR3: -2
RC: -8 :(

Really happy with LR. It is basically where I want to be. LG standard, and RC... oh RC.

I was consistently scoring -2 to -4 before this. A definite factor was the back 2 back LR, with 3 total, followed by RC as 5th section. Fatigue for sure factored in. I can't really practice too much for it because going too hard will result in burnout.

That being said, I was also moving a little slow today, I decided I wouldn't touch the LSAT Thursday and Friday, in order to get fresh and enjoy the holiday weekend.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 am

bee wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:Heading to my test site! I'll bring a couple sections to take if it's open. It doesn't hurt to try.

went to mine today and it was closed :(

Mine was closed too :(
I really wanted to see how big the desks were.

dosto

Postby dosto » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:33 am

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:41 am

Damn, I really hope my test center desks aren't that small! ^

ljoandc

Postby ljoandc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 pm

How much time should I leave for my commute to my test center? My test center is about 35 minutes away via car (no traffic). I'm thinking of leaving around 6:45/7am..

This is the same test center I went to for the October sitting, but at that time I slept at a hotel, and didn't get any sleep at all. I'll get a better night's sleep at home. :P also I won't be the one driving lol.

action90

Postby action90 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:51 pm

How'd you manage to trim RC down to -1? Where were you starting?

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I just took PT 60. Scored 173 (91 raw)

Idk how indicative it is of things, as it is my third time taking it in 4 months, but it gives me some confidence going forward, since this was the diagnostic I took and scored 147 on.

Breakdown
LR (ex.) - 4 (from PT61)
LR#1 - 3
LG -1 (first question of the the third game, i'm not sure how is screwed that up...)
LR#2 -2
RC -2 (out of no where, considering yesterday I went -9. I had seen the passages before but the question still felt foreign to me and I know I didn't remember any of them).

Yesterday was a downer but I felt way more ready to take a PT today and felt a lot more comfortable all throughout the test. Mimic'd test day conditions almost to a T (except time, which i took it at 10 instead of 9).

Will review tonight and then drill some more RC). Also any recommendations how to prep for the writing? or is it something I should just wing on test day.

I spent ALOT of time last night with RC, drilled 8 passages in a row, reviewed my PT to no end. I was a man on a mission to figure out what was going on. I've done all i can do at this point, save drill more.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:44 pm

^good job vicpin5190. I don't believe there is a need to prep for the writing, other than learning the proper format that you should write(a quick search should provide you with example and explanations from bp or Jeffort, if I'm not mistaken).

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:21 pm

PT 66 (fresh) -7 RC (teardrops on my keyboard), -2 LR1, -1 LG, -2 LR2. I'm beginning to regret all the time I've spent drilling LG. I'm normally -2/-3 on RC, but I totally bombed this section. I hadn't even started the last passage by the time five minutes where called. I'm going to do 8 RC passages every day this week. I hope this helps me :(

bound

Postby bound » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Thorcogan wrote:PT 62 -- June 2010
-11/171

LR1: -1
LR2: -4 (exp) I REALLY struggle with back 2 back LR
LG: -0
LR3: -2
RC: -8 :(

Really happy with LR. It is basically where I want to be. LG standard, and RC... oh RC.

I was consistently scoring -2 to -4 before this. A definite factor was the back 2 back LR, with 3 total, followed by RC as 5th section. Fatigue for sure factored in. I can't really practice too much for it because going too hard will result in burnout.

That being said, I was also moving a little slow today, I decided I wouldn't touch the LSAT Thursday and Friday, in order to get fresh and enjoy the holiday weekend.

I have the SAME issue. My whole score depends on RC being first or last.... fingers crossed for getting it over with as section numero uno.

dosto

Postby dosto » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:27 pm

action90

Postby action90 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:35 pm

dosto wrote:
action90 wrote:

How'd you manage to trim RC down to -1? Where were you starting?

I don't really know to be honest. Before I was just winging RC with no strategy; I'd just read the passage as fast as possible and end up having a shaky foundation for questions. In retrospect I often chose answers on a whim, which resulted in a -3 to -5 range :oops:. Now I actually pay attention and feel in control *knock on wood.

Do you read for structure and annotate lightly? I'm stuck here at 2-5 wrong on 99% of RC sections. Have never totally felt comfortable with it. Feels like I've tried it all. ugh.

Postby 062914123 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:40 pm

dosto

Postby dosto » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:28 pm

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:55 pm

my 3rd and last retake. anyone else in the same boat as i am? don't know how to feel about it.

action90

Postby action90 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:02 pm

chizzy wrote:my 3rd and last retake. anyone else in the same boat as i am? don't know how to feel about it.

Same boat. I'm sort of indifferent cause my last score was pretty solid. Actually hoping that the fact that I've been way less stressed about it will help me on test day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”