Post removed.

jk148706

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby jk148706 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 am

PourMeTea wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
A few things went wrong.
1. TOTAL PANIC during my very first section, which was LR. I "wtfed" my way through it, definitely went -8, with no time left over to check answers. This may have been my experimental, but I'm not sure.
2. Carried over the thoughts of "shit, cancel now" to second section, which was RC. Also, 180 watch decided not to work. I barely skimmed the passages because the words kept melting into each other and I wasn't retaining anything. I don't remember if I thought the questions were hard or easy.
3. Easy, standard LR section, which I actually think was the real LR section. Dammit.
4. RAN. OUT. OF. TIME. on last LR section. Pretty much had to randomly guess on the last 4 OMFG this has never happened before :evil: :evil: :evil:

I figure by drilling mercilessly, LR will become automatic to the point where things like nerves won't hinder me from quickly seeing arguments or reading/re-reading the stimulus to the point where I'm wasting too much time.

Are you describing my test or yours? I def had a very similar experience

Argh. Are you retaking in December?

Going to use the next couple days to mull it over. I decided against canceling just to see how I did. My prediction is about 164, but I'm still holding out hope i did better.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 am

Post removed.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:01 am

PourMeTea wrote:Thanks, Marshmallow! How do you think it went?

Well, two part answer to that question. Felt pretty great during sections 1-4, but because of a medical emergency in the room during section 5, and then a fire alarm also in section 5 (NOT EXPERIMENTAL), I'm almost positive I'll have to retake in Dec. Unfortunate, but so it goes... I think I'll take a week off and get my PS in good shape before re-hitting the books.

civis

Postby civis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:02 am

Last edited by civis on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

neprep

Postby neprep » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 am

PourMeTea wrote:
neprep wrote:
bee wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:HI BEE!

I was thinking about giving myself a break...but considering that I basically took all of last week off as well, I'm starting again tomorrow morning. With PT #1.

My morning routine has involved PTing/drilling for months, and I honestly think I'd miss it if I were to skip it. Or it could be Stockholm Syndrome. I don't know what to do with myself if I'm not in LSAT mode.

OMG TOMORROW?! hahaha you are hardcore. i think i might work on my PS tomorrow, just in case i score well enough that i can send out my apps nov 1.

you know, i really kind of miss lsatting as well. i was so bored today that i literally called up a bunch of people and volunteered to cook them dinner. my life for the past month(s) has been work - lsat - sleep - lsat - work etc. i will probably crack by tuesday and start pting again :oops:

That IS really intense! Are none of you going to wait for your score before starting December prep? I guess I just feel guilty planning to take it easy until then. PMT, I missed the barrage of posts that ensued after the test because, well, I was taking my own test at the time, but what has you so convinced that you didn't do as well as you wanted? Also, if your problem was just nerves, how would looking at super old material like 1-20 help, since there's noting left for you to *learn*, per se?

A few things went wrong.
1. TOTAL PANIC during my very first section, which was LR. I "wtfed" my way through it, definitely went -8, with no time left over to check answers. This may have been my experimental, but I'm not sure.
2. Carried over the thoughts of "shit, cancel now" to second section, which was RC. Also, 180 watch decided not to work. I barely skimmed the passages because the words kept melting into each other and I wasn't retaining anything. I don't remember if I thought the questions were hard or easy.
3. Easy, standard LR section, which I actually think was eta: NOT the real LR section. Dammit.
4. RAN. OUT. OF. TIME. on last LR section. Pretty much had to randomly guess on the last 4 OMFG this has never happened before :evil: :evil: :evil:

I figure by drilling mercilessly, LR will become automatic to the point where things like nerves won't hinder me from quickly seeing arguments or reading/re-reading the stimulus to the point where I'm wasting too much time.

That sounds rough :( And your plan looks really solid. Definitely going to do that and lookup Noodely's guide if it's below 169. ALSO 180 WATCH STOPPED WORKING? I would actually keel over and die if I had no time piece in sight.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 am

PourMeTea wrote:
Omg :(
I'm sure you did better!

I remember I had one PT I thought I totally bombed and ended up a a 177. Only reason I'm not canceling haha

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 am

Post removed.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 am

Post removed.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 am

civis wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:I'm actually thinking about diving into BP for Dec., maybe for the same reasons you're looking at the Trainer- just to keep fresh and get a new perspective... Not really sure what BP offers or the best way to utilize what they have. Any suggestions?
BP is a really solid base for the LSAT and I'm happy I started there. They really stress intuitive responses to both LG and LR and I found those incredibly useful.

RC: I didn't find their RC lessons really helpful but I think it's because I'm already really strong in that area and my brain just didn't want to be rewired. Once I started to just rely on my natural ability my RC scores became more consistent.
LG: Really good. They focus on big deductions up front and they almost always pay off. I think there are some methods that are more useful than BP's (e.g. in / out games with categories are much easier with 7sage's method). However, their focus on intuitive takes on questions and scenarios (hypos) was really useful.
LR: I think if I had put more effort into doing the extra practice and going back through lessons I wouldn't be thinking about retaking in December. They really build up over the course but I was so focused on getting LG to -1/-0 that I neglected LR in the run-up to the actual test. I'll probably dig back through the lessons to hit some of the question types again.

Not sure how useful the full course would be considering where you're at now, but that was my take on it after having no previous experience with the LSAT.

This is awesome! I do need to work on LG... It seems like BP might be just right for me for at least that.

civis

Postby civis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 am

Last edited by civis on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripleX

Postby TripleX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 pm

How is 7sage for LR and RC?

His LG videos brought me from a -9/-11 to -1/-2 in less than a week so I'd like to give him my money if his other stuff is legit.

Anything you guys are going to change about your prep for the second time around?

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

koval

Postby koval » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Hopping on. Have no idea how I did but doubtful enough of the 170+ that it's worth doing some prep before getting the scores. I feel a retake.

PMT, how do you think you did? Was it really that bad?

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Post removed.

TripleX

Postby TripleX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 pm

dosto5 wrote:
TripleX wrote:How is 7sage for LR and RC?

His LG videos brought me from a -9/-11 to -1/-2 in less than a week so I'd like to give him my money if his other stuff is legit.

Anything you guys are going to change about your prep for the second time around?

7sage RC is negligible; I honestly don't know what could improve RC other than practice. There isn't much to 'learn' about it (that's my opinion, anyway).

But their LR stuff is amazing; highly recommended. It's very simple, but efficient (and even entertaining at times). Most importantly he (JY Ping) places a huge emphasis on teaching a wider conditional logic framework, which is immensely helpful.

Ya I find the voice, who I now know to be Ping, hilarious. I'll definitely be investing in the basic program for the December test. I only got about 2/3 of the way through the LR bible before the October and didn't really have any time to reinforce the concepts. I vary between -4/-6 for LR sections right now so there is TONS of room for improvement.

Thanks for the response!

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:41 pm

When is the deadline to register for December?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:46 pm

jk148706 wrote:When is the deadline to register for December?

November 4th, regular registration
November 15th, late registration

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Checking in ladybros.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
jk148706 wrote:When is the deadline to register for December?

November 4th, regular registration
November 15th, late registration

Thanks. I will know if I'm in when Oct scores are released. Anything below 167, I'm retaking. 167-169 I will think about it. 170+ I'm not retaking (pretty positive I didn't hit 170)

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:01 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
neprep wrote:
bee wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:HI BEE!

I was thinking about giving myself a break...but considering that I basically took all of last week off as well, I'm starting again tomorrow morning. With PT #1.

My morning routine has involved PTing/drilling for months, and I honestly think I'd miss it if I were to skip it. Or it could be Stockholm Syndrome. I don't know what to do with myself if I'm not in LSAT mode.

OMG TOMORROW?! hahaha you are hardcore. i think i might work on my PS tomorrow, just in case i score well enough that i can send out my apps nov 1.

you know, i really kind of miss lsatting as well. i was so bored today that i literally called up a bunch of people and volunteered to cook them dinner. my life for the past month(s) has been work - lsat - sleep - lsat - work etc. i will probably crack by tuesday and start pting again :oops:

That IS really intense! Are none of you going to wait for your score before starting December prep? I guess I just feel guilty planning to take it easy until then. PMT, I missed the barrage of posts that ensued after the test because, well, I was taking my own test at the time, but what has you so convinced that you didn't do as well as you wanted? Also, if your problem was just nerves, how would looking at super old material like 1-20 help, since there's noting left for you to *learn*, per se?

A few things went wrong.
3. Easy, standard LR section, which I actually think was eta: NOT the real LR section. Dammit.

It sounds like we had the same experience on test day and had the same exact test :lol:

I wtf'd the first LR section too but I left 5 blank because of the 5min non call :(

soyeonjeon

Postby soyeonjeon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:43 pm

PourMeTea, What are India ones? Are there any preps other than the released ones?
I am out of preps and would appreciate your reply. :)

TripleX

Postby TripleX » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 am

dosto5 wrote:
TripleX wrote:
dosto5 wrote:
TripleX wrote:How is 7sage for LR and RC?

7sage RC is negligible; I honestly don't know what could improve RC other than practice. There isn't much to 'learn' about it (that's my opinion, anyway).

But their LR stuff is amazing; highly recommended. It's very simple, but efficient (and even entertaining at times). Most importantly he (JY Ping) places a huge emphasis on teaching a wider conditional logic framework, which is immensely helpful.

Ya I find the voice, who I now know to be Ping, hilarious. I'll definitely be investing in the basic program for the December test. I only got about 2/3 of the way through the LR bible before the October and didn't really have any time to reinforce the concepts. I vary between -4/-6 for LR sections right now so there is TONS of room for improvement.

Thanks for the response!

Just a head's up, the LR section has a lot content (lots of problem sets by question types which you will want to do and go over; he has video explanations for every question). It took me a little over a month to get through the entire program (including LG) but after it I averaged 172 over PTs 45-68, so it does work. I had also done the LR bible beforehand and I can tell you right now 7sage blows it out of the water. So yeah, don't delay!

I checked it out online and there is massive amount of content. I only have about 10 hours a week to study so it might take me until the December test to even finish all of his videos! I better get started...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”