Post removed.

esther0123

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby esther0123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:49 pm

you know... being the downer that i am... what do you think the likelihood of a decrease upon retake given you've scored high 160s on your first take?

alan-7sage

Postby alan-7sage » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Gamine wrote:
lsatyolo wrote:7sage proctor app has crapped out on me during my last 2 PT's (today it just quit itself during the break, thank god). Anyone else experience this? It may or may have not caused me to completely bomb the fourth section of PT 51 (LR2). I found myself in deep paranoia during the section and kept checking to make sure it was running. Pretty frustrating. Before the update I never had any problems with it.

I've been having the exact same problem lately. At first I thought my iPad was playing up but I'm now convinced it's the app

Oh wow, so sorry! I'd be frustrated too.

I figured out what the problem is, and the fix will be in the next app update (should be in the App Store in 2 weeks or so).

In the meantime, please skip over the break with the ">>" button. You can then pause the proctor for your break and then continue when your break is over. Sorry for the hassle!

mellow

Postby mellow » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

esther0123 wrote:you know... being the downer that i am... what do you think the likelihood of a decrease upon retake given you've scored high 160s on your first take?

Depends on the person. Your PT average before the last test, how much you under/overperformed, and PT average now are all factors that greatly affect the likelihood of a decrease.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:09 am

esther0123 wrote:you know... being the downer that i am... what do you think the likelihood of a decrease upon retake given you've scored high 160s on your first take?

If you were PTing 170s before the test, then got the high 160, and are not PTing high 160s/170s, then i feel like it is a toss up.

If you were PTing around 165, got in the high 160s, and thought to yourself, "I know I can do even better and really get a great score", and now ur PTing in the high 160s, then there is cause to worry about underperforming on test day and scoring lower.

Other than those scenarios though, as long as the high 160s was an underperformance for you, and your recent PTs are all better, then I wouldnt be too concerned.

BFlanagan

Postby BFlanagan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 am

Happy Monday!

Hope everyone is staying nice and relaxed.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm

alan-7sage wrote:
Gamine wrote:
lsatyolo wrote:7sage proctor app has crapped out on me during my last 2 PT's (today it just quit itself during the break, thank god). Anyone else experience this? It may or may have not caused me to completely bomb the fourth section of PT 51 (LR2). I found myself in deep paranoia during the section and kept checking to make sure it was running. Pretty frustrating. Before the update I never had any problems with it.

I've been having the exact same problem lately. At first I thought my iPad was playing up but I'm now convinced it's the app

Oh wow, so sorry! I'd be frustrated too.

I figured out what the problem is, and the fix will be in the next app update (should be in the App Store in 2 weeks or so).

In the meantime, please skip over the break with the ">>" button. You can then pause the proctor for your break and then continue when your break is over. Sorry for the hassle!

Thanks for clearing that up!

bound

Postby bound » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Okay so due to a busy schedule, I skipped a weekend of studying. I studied pretty diligently up until that weekend, took those three days off with no PT (11/9-11/11, Veterans day), did some drilling all week immediately following Veterans Day, and then took a PT yesterday in which I scored better than I ever have. It has been exactly 14 days between my two PTs.... I haven't taken that long of a break in MONTHS. Has this happened to anyone else before? Was I burnt out and didn't even know it? I really regretted that break intially, but now I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping it wasn't an anomaly and my brain just needed that break to get back on track...

action90

Postby action90 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Austinbound wrote:Okay so due to a busy schedule, I skipped a weekend of studying. I studied pretty diligently up until that weekend, took those three days off with no PT (11/9-11/11, Veterans day), did some drilling all week immediately following Veterans Day, and then took a PT yesterday in which I scored better than I ever have. It has been exactly 14 days between my two PTs.... I haven't taken that long of a break in MONTHS. Has this happened to anyone else before? Was I burnt out and didn't even know it? I really regretted that break intially, but now I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping it wasn't an anomaly and my brain just needed that break to get back on track...

Has happened to me twice before actually.

bound

Postby bound » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:46 pm

action90 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:Okay so due to a busy schedule, I skipped a weekend of studying. I studied pretty diligently up until that weekend, took those three days off with no PT (11/9-11/11, Veterans day), did some drilling all week immediately following Veterans Day, and then took a PT yesterday in which I scored better than I ever have. It has been exactly 14 days between my two PTs.... I haven't taken that long of a break in MONTHS. Has this happened to anyone else before? Was I burnt out and didn't even know it? I really regretted that break intially, but now I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping it wasn't an anomaly and my brain just needed that break to get back on track...

Has happened to me twice before actually.

Maybe skipping studying all together will get us that 180 :D

agglomeration

Postby agglomeration » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:19 pm

OVOXO wrote:can someone post an explanation for PT 36-S3-Q18? thanks!

If you could also pass along your thought process on this problem, we can discuss that too because it's always beneficial to see why you choose a wrong one and what not.

Here is my thought process (anyone else feel free to chime in if i am wrong)

PE= pursue personal excellence
WTC= willing to undergo personal change
H= Happy
/= OR

~PE+~WTC-->~H (contrapositive) H-->PE/WTC

Conclusion- Being satisfied (accepting yourself instead of being dissatisfied) is wrong.

So just looking at the above we can see that "Satisfied" is only in the conclusion. So thats where the assumption has to be. The answer were looking for is going to have to connect satisfied to either PE or WTC.

wrong answers
A) eliminated because it's not connecting the ideas we want. It's got the PE in it but it is linking it to H. Which is not what were looking for.
C)Again it has PE but its a little different then the one from the stim. But even looking past that it, it is linking PE to genuine confidence..... Genuine confidence has nothing to do with the argument... eliminate
D) This one is tempting (and i guess you choose this one?) But justified has nothing to do with the argument so it is eliminated.
E) HG (happinnes is genuine)-->POA (painful to obtain)....WTF. No. Where did "painful to obtain" come from. Oh maybe you think undergoing personal change can possibly be painful but then again it can also not be painful. Say you were undergoing some personal change, and that change was " i am now going to spend at least 6 hours a week enjoying myself doing my favorite activity of playing video games." Your engaging in personal change but it is not painful for you to obtain it..... either this gets eliminated.

correct
B)Looking at it first you see "dissatisfied" and PE. So far so good. Negated the AC reads "people who are dissatisfied with themselves are less likely than others to pursue personal excellence." If that was true, then the argument is destroyed.

I just typed this up real fast before heading to class. If you want more clarification or discussion on it just let me know. Hope it helps brother/sister!

agglomeration

Postby agglomeration » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Hey guys, just a little request. I have seen some of you talking about doing a review of the OCT lsat test together (very cool and beneficial for all i should add) but can we try and refrain from posting too many question/answer game/reading comp passage statements on this thread? I know there are a bunch of us who are trying to hold off on doing that one until the end of prep and i wouldn't want myself or anyone else in that group to accidentally read through a post explaining some genius inference or epiphany you had while taking/reviewing it. (I haven't seen any of these yet-- but i just wanted to throw it out there anyway)

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 pm

agglomeration wrote:Hey guys, just a little request. I have seen some of you talking about doing a review of the OCT lsat test together (very cool and beneficial for all i should add) but can we try and refrain from posting too many question/answer game/reading comp passage statements on this thread? I know there are a bunch of us who are trying to hold off on doing that one until the end of prep and i wouldn't want myself or anyone else in that group to accidentally read through a post explaining some genius inference or epiphany you had while taking/reviewing it. (I haven't seen any of these yet-- but i just wanted to throw it out there anyway)

+1

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Does anyone know whats up if I am not consistent between the two logic reasoning sections? Like I can go -0/-1 on one of them and then bomb the other on the other? I'd say it is a result of the order presented (stronger on LR1 or LR2) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Taken in the order with 40s being fresh and others being retakes
PT 60 LR1 -0 LR2 -4
PT 61 LR1 -4 LR2 -2
~~ started to read stem before stim
PT 41 LR1 -2 LR2 -1
PT 42 LR1 -5 LR2 -0
PT 59 LR1 -1 LR2 -3
PT 43 LR1 -1 LR2 -6 (this was me stupidly getting distracted by my clock)

Which represents my actual ability?

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 pm

sup everyone. Tried out 3 mg of melatonin last night and it really helped in terms of sleep (I previously took 5 mg and it was way too strong — got really anxious). Might be useful for some ppl on here going forward.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Our brains are very strange. Often times it takes stepping back from a problem and letting it marinate in your subconscious that you will find the answer. Constant LSAT studying going from 1 problem type to another and one practice section to another actually overloads your brain, causing you to retain less. By taking a break from studying, you actually gave your brain the chance to stop, rest, and digest the information you had been studying.

The feeling I'm describing can be felt in the form
Of being "burnt out" but it can also be more subtle. Sometimes you won't even realize it.

I have 2 days a week where I do not look at LSAT stuff. Normally these days com after a serious review session where I go over a ton of information about what I did wrong and what I can do better.

Yes, it's fairly normal, give your brain some rest!

Postby 062914123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellow

Postby mellow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Before the October test, my PT average was 174 with only one 180. A month later when I started studying again, my first PT back was a 180. and then the next two as well (granted these were retakes). Average is 178 now not counting retakes with really no additional studying at all since pre-October.

I feel like even if we might not notice being burnout, we really are. The LSAT is a mentally taxing test, and it's just that we're so used to it that we don't recognize how much of a torture almost 3.5 hours of testing is.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:30 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:

Before the October test, my PT average was 174 with only one 180. A month later when I started studying again, my first PT back was a 180. and then the next two as well (granted these were retakes). Average is 178 now not counting retakes with really no additional studying at all since pre-October.

I feel like even if we might not notice being burnout, we really are. The LSAT is a mentally taxing test, and it's just that we're so used to it that we don't recognize how much of a torture almost 3.5 hours of testing is.

This is all very encouraging since I haven't taken a PT in about a week. I was running out of fresh ones, and focused on drilling and reviewing the trainer instead. Hopefully tomorrow when I take a fresh PT I will see the benefits of both my studying, and taking a break from PTing every other day!

mellow

Postby mellow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 pm

OVOXO wrote:sup everyone. Tried out 3 mg of melatonin last night and it really helped in terms of sleep (I previously took 5 mg and it was way too strong — got really anxious). Might be useful for some ppl on here going forward.

I've always been interested in trying this because bad sleep/bad morning really hurt my concentration on test day. But I'm afraid I might get too reliant on them? Are they even the slightest bit addictive? (as in you don't feel like you have to take them, but it's worse now when you don't take them than before you even started taking them)

CookieDough wrote:This is all very encouraging since I haven't taken a PT in about a week. I was running out of fresh ones, and focused on drilling and reviewing the trainer instead. Hopefully tomorrow when I take a fresh PT I will see the benefits of both my studying, and taking a break from PTing every other day!

Remember though that even drilling is still using your brain in a tiring manner. I would recommend taking at least one day in a week where all you do is maybe one logic game worth. I would have balked at my own recommendation pre-October, but I'm actually doing much better now with more rest in between. :)

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:
OVOXO wrote:sup everyone. Tried out 3 mg of melatonin last night and it really helped in terms of sleep (I previously took 5 mg and it was way too strong — got really anxious). Might be useful for some ppl on here going forward.

I've always been interested in trying this because bad sleep/bad morning really hurt my concentration on test day. But I'm afraid I might get too reliant on them? Are they even the slightest bit addictive? (as in you don't feel like you have to take them, but it's worse now when you don't take them than before you even started taking them)

I'm interested in this as well... Had my very first full on LSAT nightmare last night, so clearly the nerves are not going away. Definitely am concerned about not getting enough rest leading up to test day!

CookieDough wrote:This is all very encouraging since I haven't taken a PT in about a week. I was running out of fresh ones, and focused on drilling and reviewing the trainer instead. Hopefully tomorrow when I take a fresh PT I will see the benefits of both my studying, and taking a break from PTing every other day!

Remember though that even drilling is still using your brain in a tiring manner. I would recommend taking at least one day in a week where all you do is maybe one logic game worth. I would have balked at my own recommendation pre-October, but I'm actually doing much better now with more rest in between. :)

I took Saturday completely off, and went really light on Wednesday (read a chapter or two in the trainer, did maybe one of his drills... nothing stressful or too difficult) - Do you think that's enough/too much time off? I'd been doing PTs every day, then every other day, with drilling/trainer in between, so I definitely needed to slow down, but now I'm vaguely concerned that 1.5 days off a week might be a little much?

ETA: I can't handle quotes. :oops: Sorry about that. I italicized my response above because my brain cannot process how to separate the quotes.

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:55 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:

It takes me a lot longer to fall asleep now without melatonin and I started taking it about a year ago. So I'd say it is but it does help me sleep when I take it. Didn't stop my restlessness the night before october though.... don't know what will.

esther0123

Postby esther0123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 pm

This is so strange.. retook October 2013 writing and my score distribution is totally different and I am slower but more accurate -- ultimately leading to a better score.

I finished my actual LG section with 5 minutes to spare with -0, but on retake, I ran out of time with -3. Has anyone experienced this change of distribution? (Overall I am doing better despite poorer LG performance)

Logical reasoning, although doing better, is definitely harder on PT 70 than any previous preptest.

Kind of disappointed with the result, i had pretty poor timing today.

LR1 -2 (-7 on test)
RC -2 (-5 on test)
LG -3 (-0 on test)
LR2 -3 (-3 on test)

91/101 for 171, which was my exact average during practice on October prep
Last edited by esther0123 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellow

Postby mellow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 pm

CookieDough wrote:I took Saturday completely off, and went really light on Wednesday (read a chapter or two in the trainer, did maybe one of his drills... nothing stressful or too difficult) - Do you think that's enough/too much time off? I'd been doing PTs every day, then every other day, with drilling/trainer in between, so I definitely needed to slow down, but now I'm vaguely concerned that 1.5 days off a week might be a little much?

At this point, you've already taken the 1.5 days off, so don't worry about what might have happened if you didn't. Be happy you got a break instead :D

But really, I would actually say that that's about how much you should be getting off per week. Now this is exactly the opposite of what I told you I did pre-October, but you have to realize that I was trying to cram even just the basics into only one month. Like I didn't even completely grasp the differences between necessary/sufficient assumption until a week and a half before the test.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:12 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:
CookieDough wrote:I took Saturday completely off, and went really light on Wednesday (read a chapter or two in the trainer, did maybe one of his drills... nothing stressful or too difficult) - Do you think that's enough/too much time off? I'd been doing PTs every day, then every other day, with drilling/trainer in between, so I definitely needed to slow down, but now I'm vaguely concerned that 1.5 days off a week might be a little much?

At this point, you've already taken the 1.5 days off, so don't worry about what might have happened if you didn't. Be happy you got a break instead :D

But really, I would actually say that that's about how much you should be getting off per week. Now this is exactly the opposite of what I told you I did pre-October, but you have to realize that I was trying to cram even just the basics into only one month. Like I didn't even completely grasp the differences between necessary/sufficient assumption until a week and a half before the test.

:D Thanks! At this point I'm just trying not to fall for trap answers under pressure, and I'm working on getting a little faster now that I'm doing stem before stim. I'm going to try not to over think it too much!

muzzy

Postby muzzy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Last edited by muzzy on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”