Post removed.

SkepticalAboutLaw

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby SkepticalAboutLaw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Thorcogan wrote:
melodygreenleaf wrote:
bee wrote:and because im a masochist, here are the entering profiles for a few previous classes:

http://web.archive.org/web/201209231443 ... rofile.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/201111160041 ... rofile.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/201011240724 ... rofile.htm (the class that graduated this year)

I feel like the things they list are more diverse/unique than exceptional? I mean juggler, chemist, Broadway production assistant, "30 Rock" intern, documentary filmmaker are all very average softs imo. And it seems like I should include my black belt in my resume again considering they included it in the list every single year.

Not that I'm applying to Yale anyway haha

I was actually thinking the same thing, which is why I I'm thinking (and have been for a while) that I should focus on my board member soft over the working in law firms. I mean a ton of applicants I'm sure have worked in law. I also think a lot of it has to do with how you describe your softs. One experience at a law firm =\= someone else's experience.

What strange compilations. Reading those class profiles makes me think I should add to my resume my bizarre, random interests. If nothing else, it breaks the monotony of reading apps for the adcomms.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 pm

dosto wrote:Can we get a new, less demoralizing poll?

+1

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 am

Last PT I took: (For um...personal reasons, I stopped two sections into my first part. Let's just say drinking my syncho with a ton of water right before the test wasn't the best idea :oops: )

Dec 2009

LG (First try) -5 Ran out of time and couldn't focus. After the five minute mark, nothing truly productive happened
RC (First try exp.) -5 See above
I stopped here and decided that it wasn't worth it. In a day, I came back to it with fresh LG and RC sections

LG (Second try, new section) -3 Time is still an issue. I'm going to be drilling LG more and reviewing my sections.
RC (Second try, new section, exp.) -2 Really pleased with how this came out.
LR -4 Dumb mistakes did me in here. Flaw and Assumption questions are my two biggest problems
LR -2 :D That's more like it.
RC -6 :oops: The art passage just killed me. Three wrong in that alone. This is my section that I'm looking to improve the most.

With the real PT sections (my first try) 167. Yikes. I was distracted, but... yikes.

The second time sitting through it was a 169. Better, but still not where I want.

With my 4 best sections 172. Not bad.

On another positive note, my friends and I got into a fight so more time for studying! :roll:

But on a truly positive note, my pre-law adviser is gonna be meeting with a UVa admissions counselor. They've shown some interest in my school, and my adviser is gonna put in a good word for me. :mrgreen:

I'll be taking a PT tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am

Today was not my day for RC....oh well, it's just one of those days.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:11 am

vicpin5190 wrote:Today was not my day for RC....oh well, it's just one of those days.

Keep your head up bro. Everyday is a new run.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 am

snagglepuss wrote:
HardenUp wrote:Looking for some assistance here:

I'm scoring in the low 150's at the moment and am signed up for December already. I have decided that I won't bother taking the actual test until I'm scoring above a 165. In essence, has anyone heard of/ been able to jump 15 or so point on consecutive practice tests in one month?

If not, it'll have to get pushed back to February.

For a little background, I've been studying for 4.5 months so far (using Blueprint), but am going to school full time as well as working around 26 hours a week, so it's been difficult to spend the required time on studying. Next semester will be my last one for the undergraduate, but I'll still continue working following into next semester.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

15 point jumps don't happen over night. When you're still scoring in the 150's, you're likely still trying to tackle the fundamentals and timing. Take your own advice and don't take the test until you're consistently scoring where you want to be (165+).

Can you turn your job into something full-time after you graduate? If so, I think the best route is to keep studying and take in June. Then, apply next cycle. The year off will make you a much better candidate as the time gives you a better opportunity to maximize your LSAT performance - which is what everyone ought to do.

It seems like I'll be postponing it for now. The timing aspect is killing me on everything: In LR I'm able to get through about 20 questions, RC is around three + passages, and Games around the same (starting on the fourth) for when the time runs out. I need to focus on the small stuff, it's what's killing me.

I can turn my job into something full-time after graduation, but it'd be 4/5 days a week, 13 hours a day, so it'll still make for strong dedication to the studying aspect.

By chance, how long did you study for the LSAT?

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:16 am

walket wrote:Last PT I took: (For um...personal reasons, I stopped two sections into my first part. Let's just say drinking my syncho with a ton of water right before the test wasn't the best idea :oops: )

Dec 2009

LG (First try) -5 Ran out of time and couldn't focus. After the five minute mark, nothing truly productive happened
RC (First try exp.) -5 See above
I stopped here and decided that it wasn't worth it. In a day, I came back to it with fresh LG and RC sections

LG (Second try, new section) -3 Time is still an issue. I'm going to be drilling LG more and reviewing my sections.
RC (Second try, new section, exp.) -2 Really pleased with how this came out.
LR -4 Dumb mistakes did me in here. Flaw and Assumption questions are my two biggest problems
LR -2 :D That's more like it.
RC -6 :oops: The art passage just killed me. Three wrong in that alone. This is my section that I'm looking to improve the most.

With the real PT sections (my first try) 167. Yikes. I was distracted, but... yikes.

The second time sitting through it was a 169. Better, but still not where I want.

With my 4 best sections 172. Not bad.

On another positive note, my friends and I got into a fight so more time for studying! :roll:

But on a truly positive note, my pre-law adviser is gonna be meeting with a UVa admissions counselor. They've shown some interest in my school, and my adviser is gonna put in a good word for me. :mrgreen:

I'll be taking a PT tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

If you don't mind me asking: how long have you been toiling away with studying for the LSAT? Those are some scores I'd do a backflip for.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:39 am

If you don't mind me asking: how long have you been toiling away with studying for the LSAT? Those are some scores I'd do a backflip for.

8 months. Took my first "diagnostic" with a Princeton review crap made up test. I got a 155. I took a powerscore class starting in June. Got a 157 "real" diagnostic score. In about Late July, I was starting to score 168s consistently . In August my scores dropped (stress, school, the class ending, etc) to about 166s. I got a 163 on the real thing.

The powerscore prep class was amazing. Fixed my LG issues and I went from a -6 to a -2 on most (nearly all) PTs. I think I got a -4 on test day, but that was a timing issue. It got my LR from a -6 to about a -3 or -4 on PT's.

But Powerscore really isn't great for RC and my scores actually dropped from my diagnostic near the end and on test day. LR also dropped off as I stopped taking the class. I think not having that last month of class really hurt me.

My scores have been better now (177 on a test that I had taken before), and I'm not too phased with getting a 169 on a new test. If I can get my RC down (and I'm making good strides in drills. The -2 on my PT was a better reflection than the -6s and -5s), my timing in LG fixed, and some minor LR issues solved, I can kill it in December. My goal is a 168 or above.

From what it sounds like, I think you should postpone until June 2014. The LSAT is a learnable test and a better reflection of how much you studied rather than how smart you are. This way, you get all the prep time you need, can sign up for a course if you want, and be confident going into the test. There's tons of materials on this site, take advantage of them.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 am

Taking 66 on Friday anyone cares to join me for review?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:10 am

CookieDough wrote:
dosto wrote:Can we get a new, less demoralizing poll?

+1

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:28 am

HardenUp wrote:

It seems like I'll be postponing it for now. The timing aspect is killing me on everything: In LR I'm able to get through about 20 questions, RC is around three + passages, and Games around the same (starting on the fourth) for when the time runs out. I need to focus on the small stuff, it's what's killing me.

I can turn my job into something full-time after graduation, but it'd be 4/5 days a week, 13 hours a day, so it'll still make for strong dedication to the studying aspect.

I think postponing is the right call. The fact you're asking for and being receptive to input indicates to me that you're taking the entire law school game seriously. For LG timing, you'll probably have to do every game over and over until you can do it flawlessly in under 8:45 (or maybe even a lower time mark). For LR, get your accuracy over 95% and drill by question type with the Cambridge LR by Type packets. If you need to establish a base - that is rework your LR fundamental - try either the Manhattan LR book or the LSAT Trainer (or both). RC speed will come with improved LR timing, but you must also practice getting through the passages in about 3 minutes or less. The LSAT Trainer is probably the best supplement for building technique in RC.

I took a year off and worked overtime right out of undergrad, so I know how challenging finding time to study can be. But if you have until June you should be able to do an hour or two a night plus heavy weekend studying for over 6 months. I like your chances if you have the drive, and I get the impression you already have the right attitude. Good luck and don't get caught up comparing your progress to that of people on some website.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 am

snagglepuss wrote:
HardenUp wrote:

I think postponing is the right call. The fact you're asking for and being receptive to input indicates to me that you're taking the entire law school game seriously. For LG timing, you'll probably have to do every game over and over until you can do it flawlessly in under 8:45 (or maybe even a lower time mark). For LR, get your accuracy over 95% and drill by question type with the Cambridge LR by Type packets. If you need to establish a base - that is rework your LR fundamental - try either the Manhattan LR book or the LSAT Trainer (or both). RC speed will come with improved LR timing, but you must also practice getting through the passages in about 3 minutes or less. The LSAT Trainer is probably the best supplement for building technique in RC.

I took a year off and worked overtime right out of undergrad, so I know how challenging finding time to study can be. But if you have until June you should be able to do an hour or two a night plus heavy weekend studying for over 6 months. I like your chances if you have the drive, and I get the impression you already have the right attitude. Good luck and don't get caught up comparing your progress to that of people on some website.

+1, FWIW, I was in a similar boat about a month out of the October LSAT. Despite the fact that I REALLY wanted to have an LSAT score by now to allow me to apply for law schools ASAP, the fact that I was scoring so inconsistently (a jump from 148 to 159 to 150 to 160 in 4 tests, in that order), made me realize that it would be too much of a gamble. Hunker down, give yourself some time to study, get acquainted with timing and test taking strategies, and then sit for a later date. I think it may go on to help reduce some of the anxiety associated with the test, too.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am

THREE WEEKS RETAKERS

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

neprep

Postby neprep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 am

JWP1022 wrote:THREE WEEKS RETAKERS

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

LOL @ Rubio

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 am

neprep wrote:

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

LOL @ Rubio

U got beef with Marco breh

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:17 am

PourMeTea wrote:

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

Oh god

Does the avatar add value?

neprep

Postby neprep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 am

JWP1022 wrote:
neprep wrote:

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

LOL @ Rubio

U got beef with Marco breh

No. He is my everything.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 am

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating (I think): at three weeks out, I had back-to-back 169's and was nearly ready to give up and make a bonfire out of PTs and Cambridge packets. You can see a lot of gains in three weeks.

Plus, some of you retakers (*cough* bee, tea *cough*) don't need to work on actual-test-content skillz so much as anxiety/panic avoidance skillz, which is 100% doable.

eta: I promise to write up some tips/what I did by next weekend-I've been telling myself I'm not allowed to do this until I buckle down and finish my PS/DS/Whys.

mhaas

Postby mhaas » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm

koalacity wrote:

THE VOID CALLS

You'll all do great

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating (I think): at three weeks out, I had back-to-back 169's and was nearly ready to give up and make a bonfire out of PTs and Cambridge packets. You can see a lot of gains in three weeks.

Plus, some of you retakers (*cough* bee, tea *cough*) don't need to work on actual-test-content skillz so much as anxiety/panic avoidance skillz, which is 100% doable.

eta: I promise to write up some tips/what I did by next weekend-I've been telling myself I'm not allowed to do this until I buckle down and finish my PS/DS/Whys.

Show us the ways of the 180

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Anybody want to do PT60 and review? It's one of the few recent tests I haven't seen a million times over.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Otunga wrote:Anybody want to do PT60 and review? It's one of the few recent tests I haven't seen a million times over.

When do you plan on reviewing it? I can do it this afternoon and review it tonight. If you are planning to do it later this week, it will give me sometime to finish blind review 68 first. BTW, Just took PT 68, it's my second time taking it and Game 4 is still awful, I even had about 17 min to do it. Anyone want to review 68?

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Fianna13 wrote:
Otunga wrote:Anybody want to do PT60 and review? It's one of the few recent tests I haven't seen a million times over.

When do you plan on reviewing it? I can do it this afternoon and review it tonight. If you are planning to do it later this week, it will give me sometime to finish blind review 68 first. BTW, Just took PT 68, it's my second time taking it and Game 4 is still awful, I even had about 17 min to do it. Anyone want to review 68?

Ah, I was probably gonna do it Saturday.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

RC is just completely bufu'ing me. I can't seem to make any significant gains :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”