Post removed.

dosto

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 am

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 am

dosto wrote:
Thorcogan wrote:
dosto wrote:I only had one layer ("tier") which was the article names, and just made a note to myself which ones couldn't be next to each other. I think writing down which of FNW they are would make you lose major time considering this is a brute force game with tons of hypos.

I think the opposite. the notes (if ur writing them down) could clog, and would just be a messier version of a 2nd tier. If you kept the notes in ur head, then u have to constantly make sure that u are not messing up (unless ur memory is really amazing) and that takes more time than drawing 7 lines and writing an extra letter. Also, having it written down allowed for deductions to be made about exactly where certain articles could go, and that would have been harder to see (and been slower) if you didnt have it written down.

Then again, if you have the memory to confidently go through it without the 2nd tier thus saving you some time writing it down, then by all means don't let me dissuade you lol.

I mean, to each their own obviously. I always did it with one layer and a mental note; hearing about a second layer surprised me and made me think that was why it took people so long. Figured one layer might work better for some people who are using two, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Very true, multiple options is definitely better than just one.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 am

I have to say, the Synchro didn't quite work as I thought it would. I didn't find a noticeable difference between when I took it and when I didn't in my PT concentration or energy level. I attribute this more to an insane tolerance I some how have to caffeine (I've once had 6 cups of coffee and still fallen asleep, no sleep deprivation). I actually like the taste, so not a bad investment, but not sure it did me the benefit it seems to be giving all ya'll. Oh well, that's why it's correlation and not causation.

mellow

Postby mellow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 am

The last question for 68.3 never fails to slow me down by a ridiculous amount. I finish the rest of the game in 2~3 minutes but usually spend around 5 minutes on the last question because I always, always misread it (If none of the clients has a target of 2 days vs. website target of 2 days). I've done this game 4 times, and I've misread it all 4 times. It's really sad.

Seeing how difficult 68.4 was for everyone else is making me feel so much better though. I didn't see it in the context of the whole set, so having 3 super easy ones and then this terrible, terrible game makes sense. I guess the moral is don't assume I have extra time even if I finish the first 3 games in 20 minutes.

Also, someone in an older thread recommended using upper cases for F and lower cases for N. It didn't help me much, but maybe it'll work for someone else here. :)

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:22 am

Oh well, couldn't wait for Dec 7. Wanted to do my 180 post in this thread!

Is the link for the review the same one as before for tonight? I may or may not be able to make it, but just in case.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
BFlanagan wrote:
bee wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:PT 70

LR1: -2
RC: -0
LG: -0
LR2: -2

Guess I know what I'm going to be drilling intensively for the next month. LR is so WORDY in 70, jeeze.

OMGGGG CONGRATS

Oh, look, she realized she's actually smarter than she thinks. Again, wasting time reading your updates, guys....;)

I noted the wordiness of 70 LR during the test, and really think the early 1-38 cambridge drills might help with that (as miserable as they are).

Thanks guys, and thanks Flan! I'm gonna hop on FLAW tonight. web, I'll PM you the link a little later.

Congrats tea! Did you check your Oct test answers? Have you figured out why you missed them in Oct but now in PT?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:41 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:Yes! Bee has a great setup that lets you solve it in >10 min. I'll post it later if she doesn't get to it

That's not very quick.

Lol steel

You can do it in 4 min, but the q was "sub 10" so..

I think the joke here is because Tea said >10 mins, so steel is sayin greater than 10 mins isnt too fast lol.

Yeah, this is what I was going for. Sub 10 minutes for that game is good.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:49 pm

PourMeTea wrote:PT 70

LR1: -2
RC: -0
LG: -0
LR2: -2

Guess I know what I'm going to be drilling intensively for the next month. LR is so WORDY in 70, jeeze.

Hey remember when you didn't want to grade this test because you got -2 on LR1? 8)

Ahamilton

Postby Ahamilton » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm

8 more hours!

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
bbkk wrote:
Congrats tea! Did you check your Oct test answers? Have you figured out why you missed them in Oct but now in PT?

Taking 70 sans anxiety was like taking an entirely different test, tbh. Almost everything made sense this time around, whereas in October, I couldn't even see the argument structures, I just saw a lot of intimidating sentences that I couldn't make sense of.

I hate that this happens to us. Even though I think another factor was that you had seen it before (about a month ago) which is a pretty short time for a retake of a test. Obviously still a great score regardless, I don't mean to diminish it in any way.

mellow

Postby mellow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
bbkk wrote:

Taking 70 sans anxiety was like taking an entirely different test, tbh. Almost everything made sense this time around, whereas in October, I couldn't even see the argument structures, I just saw a lot of intimidating sentences that I couldn't make sense of.

This exactly. I remember rereading stimuli multiple times because I just couldn't comprehend what was being said.

Thorcogan wrote:I hate that this happens to us. Even though I think another factor was that you had seen it before (about a month ago) which is a pretty short time for a retake of a test. Obviously still a great score regardless, I don't mean to diminish it in any way.

While seeing it again obviously makes it easier, I feel like it's a negligible factor if you haven't reviewed the test or known before retaking which questions were wrong.
Last edited by mellow on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Thorcogan wrote:I hate that this happens to us. Even though I think another factor was that you had seen it before (about a month ago) which is a pretty short time for a retake of a test. Obviously still a great score regardless, I don't mean to diminish it in any way.

While seeing it again obviously makes it easier, I feel like it's a negligible factor if you haven't reviewed the test or known before retaking which questions were wrong.[/quote]

Agreed, if you don't already know which answers are correct, you won't be more subconsciously attracted to them when you hit the ACs. Though you are re-reading the stimulus which could have an advantageous effect..but I do feel like retaking a test I haven't reviewed (don't ask why I didn't review them) still felt somewhat fresh.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Thorcogan wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
bbkk wrote:

I hate that this happens to us. Even though I think another factor was that you had seen it before (about a month ago) which is a pretty short time for a retake of a test. Obviously still a great score regardless, I don't mean to diminish it in any way.

Taking it for real makes people -- even those that are scoring 175+ on PTs -- change their approach on the fly because "oh shit, this is for real." This is a killer. You basically have to engrain everything you do in order to ensure that this doesn't happen, from thought process down to where you place your answer sheet.

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:32 pm

action90

Postby action90 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:45 pm

my studying is going terribly, mostly because of how lax I've been. I'm sorta hoping it'll help me though come test day cause the first two times I took it I was intensely studying and intensely worrying. Having a score I'm okay with under my belt is taking away a little motivation.

Edit: My plan now involves using the rest of this week to practice RC with trainer strategies then go into PT mode for the last 3 weeks, with review and heavy emphasis on RC.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I agree to an extent with what you guys are saying. In terms of remembering answer choices and what is right/wrong I don't think there is much difference. However, on test day, a question that u took a minute breaking down before even getting to the answer choices will hurt ur timing. However on a quick retake, you read the first couple lines and there is definitely some recognition about what is going on. This time it only takes 40 seconds do diagnose the problem, and while it doesn't help with the actual answer, the speed at which u diagnose the stimulus directly affects how much time you have to figure out which answer is right.

I'm not saying that the -4 wasn't deserved. I hope no one is taking what I'm saying that way. All I'm saying is the factor of retaking a test on a quick turnaround is not negligible.

Most if us are at the point where if we took the test with 40 minute times sections, we will get damn near close to a 180. So being able to go faster while remembering the same information, which retakes allow you to do, is definitely a factor.

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm

dosto wrote:I'm just going to enjoy our PT70 retake success.

As you should

neprep

Postby neprep » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 pm

dosto wrote:I'm just going to enjoy our PT70 retake success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Frustrated. Fuck 70. LR still thrashed me, except I went -6 here and not -9. Same -0 on LG and -5 to -3 on RC. Everything felt fresh, and honestly, I think this is what I would've gotten without the anxiety of test day. 172 conforms precisely to my PT average, too. Two misses on LR1 were actually different, so the previous errors getting corrected just evened things out more or less. Different story on LR2, where all 3 misses were the same. I just think this is a tough LR and given that I've never been a regular 175+ PTer, I shouldn't be too frustrated here.

Thorcogan

Postby Thorcogan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:16 pm

For the PT 70 review tonight, is everyone retaking PT70? Is that why there is a big trend right now?

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Thorcogan wrote:For the PT 70 review tonight, is everyone retaking PT70? Is that why there is a big trend right now?

As far as I know, yes.

To the person who suggested that knowing you got a certain amount wrong makes you second guess yourself: this could partly explain me missing different questions on the retake. I'm not sure that's ever happened to me before on retakes. I could feel my confidence was uncharacteristically lower than usual during LR here. Oddly enough, my confidence was high on LR during the actual test in Oct despite 9 misses.

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:31 pm

dosto wrote:
Otunga wrote:Frustrated. Fuck 70. LR still thrashed me, except I went -6 here and not -9. Same -0 on LG and -5 to -3 on RC. Everything felt fresh, and honestly, I think this is what I would've gotten without the anxiety of test day. 172 conforms precisely to my PT average, too. Two misses on LR1 were actually different, so the previous errors getting corrected just evened things out more or less. Different story on LR2, where all 3 misses were the same. I just think this is a tough LR and given that I've never been a regular 175+ PTer, I shouldn't be too frustrated here.

Join the LR Drill Team. It sucks but, well, prepare for the worst on 71.

I thought the sections were of equal difficulty here. Each of my 2 performances would appear to indicate that (-4/-5 and -3/-3). Interesting, since most said LR2 (26q) was disproportionately difficult.

But yeah. I think the inference q's on this LR were especially difficult. Flaws were more difficult to jar out of arguments, too.

I'd say it's crucial to thoroughly drill and review Cambridge as well as 69 and 70 on LR, as the latter two tests are pushing for the tougher LR trend we're speculating about.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”