Post removed.

Otunga

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Otunga » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:41 pm

dosto5 wrote:
Otunga wrote:L4 q's in the Cambridge packets are just nasty. How many true L4's would you say we get in a typical LR section (including both)?

Are they bad? I have not yet gone to level 4, and am actually interested to know how people are attacking them.

They're very, very subtle, and while that's what you'd expect in difficult questions, I just don't feel we get questions quite like this in the newer sections. Granted, this might be because doing them one after the other can get draining, while you probably only get 2-3 a section max. I've some of these before and yet they feel tougher than anything else LR I've seen. For the most part, I'm prephrasing accurately and going in with a solid impression of what's wrong with the argument, but eliminating answer choices is tough, as most of the time 2-3 answers are attractive.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm

dosto5 wrote:Looking at the poll I'm really wishing I'd taken a few extra classes as Pass/No Pass.

After reading some of the threads on here I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person who never took a P/N or withdrew from a class. Really regretting that now...

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:46 pm

bee wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:bee, I think we have very similar numbers. how are you motivating yourself to re-study??? i just don't know if I can do it :/ Oct. really burned me out

what are your stats?

and also lol... bro i have 0 motivation. if you discover a way to motivate yourself, LMK :| im so busy/tired of the lsat these days.

Bee I feel your pain, im being a total scaredy cat when it comes to PTs and just being lazy.My PT avg was 170- 172 leading up to test and I VASTLY underperformed, so I bet Im even more unmotivated than you.

Postby 062914123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dosto

Postby dosto » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 062914123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellow

Postby mellow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:03 pm

bee wrote:also--in some ways i think having a decent score makes me even *more* unmotivated. not to sound like an asshole or like im unappreciative of my oct score, but having it just makes me think "meh, i should just go to *insert lower t14 here* with a bit of money," whereas, if i'd scored much lower, i'd be thinking "holy FUCK if i dont score well in dec im SCREWWWWWED."

ugh this. I debated for a whole week on whether a retake was going to be worth it, whether it might actually hurt my chances if I didn't do much better because of the late app, whether I should wait until next cycle so I could apply day 1 with a higher score, etc. It sucks when you're right borderline of what's unacceptable and what makes you happy. 1 point lower and I would have retaken no matter what, 1 point higher and I'm 99% I wouldn't have signed up for the retake.

I'm still debating tbh.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:05 pm

dosto5 wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
dosto5 wrote:Looking at the poll I'm really wishing I'd taken a few extra classes as Pass/No Pass.

After reading some of the threads on here I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person who never took a P/N or withdrew from a class. Really regretting that now...

Right? I only took 2 P/NP and never withdrew, but I don't know what I was thinking taking Calculus for a grade with a major in the Social Sciences.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. But physics. Really, UG me??

Tons of people on here are like "yeah I took Ws all the time!" and I'm all like :oops: apparently that was tcr...

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:09 pm

bee wrote:
CookieDough wrote:

i never did either (which i am also regretting). tbh if you dont count that year i studied abroad i'd have a high 3.8, lol :oops:

goldenboy514 wrote:
bee wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:bee, I think we have very similar numbers. how are you motivating yourself to re-study??? i just don't know if I can do it :/ Oct. really burned me out

what are your stats?

and also lol... bro i have 0 motivation. if you discover a way to motivate yourself, LMK :| im so busy/tired of the lsat these days.

Bee I feel your pain, im being a total scaredy cat when it comes to PTs and just being lazy.My PT avg was 170- 172 leading up to test and I VASTLY underperformed, so I bet Im even more unmotivated than you.

you just really have to take the plunge. believe me when i say that i totally empathize with your feelings right now, but you're probably rusty at this point. doing a pt is the only way to gauge where you are now and what your game plan should be from now until dec.

also--in some ways i think having a decent score makes me even *more* unmotivated. not to sound like an asshole or like im unappreciative of my oct score, but having it just makes me think "meh, i should just go to *insert lower t14 here* with a bit of money," whereas, if i'd scored much lower, i'd be thinking "holy FUCK if i dont score well in dec im SCREWWWWWED."

I'm so screwed lmao. Also, if you don't count two semesters where I randomly tried to be superwoman (2 time consuming extra curriculars, 1 sport, a PT job and required courses in subjects I'm not great at...) I'd be in the 3.7x-3.8x range. Turns out I should've been more of a slacker that year :lol:

edited because I'm delirious if I think I was getting a 3.9x lol

dosto

Postby dosto » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:45 pm

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:53 pm

ya you guys are right. Im drilling the hell out of material and took a fresh pt 60 where I was so not focused that I stopped halfway through. The scores of the parts I finished were very fine, just need to bear down and take some damn PTs.
On a side note, I'm delving into Trainer's RC now, and my PT avg or 170- 172 is with consistently getting 6-9 wrong on RC, so I have huge room to improve there.

For you RC aces out there, do you guys read the RC passages with a generic sense. Hard to explain, but I feel like when I read the passages and actually try to just not pay attention to nuances and details, I do better. Obviously, TCR is read for structure, but I feel this naturally follows when you take a hollistic approach to the reading passage? any insight?

dosto

Postby dosto » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:59 pm

webbdp3

Postby webbdp3 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 pm

dosto5 wrote:
goldenboy514 wrote:ya you guys are right. Im drilling the hell out of material and took a fresh pt 60 where I was so not focused that I stopped halfway through. The scores of the parts I finished were very fine, just need to bear down and take some damn PTs.
On a side note, I'm delving into Trainer's RC now, and my PT avg or 170- 172 is with consistently getting 6-9 wrong on RC, so I have huge room to improve there.

For you RC aces out there, do you guys read the RC passages with a generic sense. Hard to explain, but I feel like when I read the passages and actually try to just not pay attention to nuances and details, I do better. Obviously, TCR is read for structure, but I feel this naturally follows when you take a hollistic approach to the reading passage? any insight?

I'm no RC ace but since I started studying for December a week ago I've been getting -1/-2 as opposed to -4/-5 which I was getting before (and, like you, this was keeping me out of 175+ constantly). I still have a long way to go, but I credit it with reading less passively and thinking about the bigger picture of the passage as a whole rather than little details. Reading for structure and constantly thinking about how different parts of the passage work together seems to help.

+1. Instead of focusing intensely on what the passages says, I suggest trying to figure out what role each piece has in the passage. In the back of my head I'm always trying to figure out why the author put X information in. Think of it like a puzzle and you're trying to see how the pieces fit together to make a picture. I've found when you read this way you more easily get a sense of author's POV, main idea, etc.

esther0123

Postby esther0123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Are you guys retaking PT's generally? or do y'all have a substantial amount of fresh PT's in 60s and late 50s left?

I find retaking helpful but I can't tell if I have improved because of score inflation gah!!

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:41 am

So I just took PT 62 for the first time... can someone please reassure me that I'm probably not an idiot, and that there was something really off about this one?? I legit stared at the stained glass game for at least five minutes thinking I'd lost my mind. Lowest PT score in a looooong time, and my confidence is completely rocked. :?

dosto

Postby dosto » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 am

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:38 am

dosto wrote:
CookieDough wrote:So I just took PT 62 for the first time... can someone please reassure me that I'm probably not an idiot, and that there was something really off about this one?? I legit stared at the stained glass game for at least five minutes thinking I'd lost my mind. Lowest PT score in a looooong time, and my confidence is completely rocked. :?

PT62 is widely considered to be the hardest LSAT, so don't worry about it.

Did you make it through stained glass? If not that might be a good type of game to work on (grouping with tougher conditional rules).

Made it through with -1 but it was rough going. Ran out of time and had to skip some qs later in the section but got them right in BR. So yes. Much review needed lol

mellow

Postby mellow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 am

dosto wrote:PT62 is widely considered to be the hardest LSAT, so don't worry about it.

Huh didn't know it was considered the hardest LSAT. Funnily enough, it's the only 180 I got on any PT before the October test. This just reinforces my hypothesis that I benefit way more from a more generous curve than an easier test.

PT 45
LR1: -3
LR2: -4
LG: -0
RC: -3

89/99 for a 172. Without the 3(!!!) misbubbles in LR, 92/99 for a 175 :oops:

My lack of motivation is so obviously reflected in my test taking skills. Too lazy to thoroughly check answers after I finish a section with extra time to spare or read the rest of the answer choices after I run across one that seems right. I ended the PT early even though I still had 7 more minutes for checking RC because I was hungry. Ughh.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:11 am

melodygreenleaf wrote:
dosto wrote:PT62 is widely considered to be the hardest LSAT, so don't worry about it.

Huh didn't know it was considered the hardest LSAT. Funnily enough, it's the only 180 I got on any PT before the October test. This just reinforces my hypothesis that I benefit way more from a more generous curve than an easier test.

PT 45
LR1: -3
LR2: -4
LG: -0
RC: -3

89/99 for a 172. Without the 3(!!!) misbubbles in LR, 92/99 for a 175 :oops:

My lack of motivation is so obviously reflected in my test taking skills. Too lazy to thoroughly check answers after I finish a section with extra time to spare or read the rest of the answer choices after I run across one that seems right. I ended the PT early even though I still had 7 more minutes for checking RC because I was hungry. Ughh.

40s LR is a mindfuck. To go -4 on 40s LR I think is very good.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 am

esther0123 wrote:Are you guys retaking PT's generally? or do y'all have a substantial amount of fresh PT's in 60s and late 50s left?

I find retaking helpful but I can't tell if I have improved because of score inflation gah!!

Retaking. There is definite score inflation, so that's why I push for 25 minutes (30 mins max) for LR and RC. I know from experience that my LG is generally not inflated on LG retakes, so I leave that at 35 but push for 30. (In fact, often my LG has gone from -0 to -1 or -1 to -2 on retakes.)

BFlanagan

Postby BFlanagan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Otunga wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Are you guys retaking PT's generally? or do y'all have a substantial amount of fresh PT's in 60s and late 50s left?

Retaking. There is definite score inflation, so that's why I push for 25 minutes (30 mins max) for LR and RC. I know from experience that my LG is generally not inflated on LG retakes, so I leave that at 35 but push for 30. (In fact, often my LG has gone from -0 to -1 or -1 to -2 on retakes.)

I did this for LG, and it worked. I think doing it for all three sections is really smart tbh. Good stuff.

BFlanagan

Postby BFlanagan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:38 pm

bee wrote:
CookieDough wrote:

i never did either (which i am also regretting). tbh if you dont count that year i studied abroad i'd have a high 3.8, lol :oops:

goldenboy514 wrote:
bee wrote:

what are your stats?

you just really have to take the plunge. believe me when i say that i totally empathize with your feelings right now, but you're probably rusty at this point. doing a pt is the only way to gauge where you are now and what your game plan should be from now until dec.

also--in some ways i think having a decent score makes me even *more* unmotivated. not to sound like an asshole or like im unappreciative of my oct score, but having it just makes me think "meh, i should just go to *insert lower t14 here* with a bit of money," whereas, if i'd scored much lower, i'd be thinking "holy FUCK if i dont score well in dec im SCREWWWWWED."

Happy Saturday. Keep it light, Bee. You got this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAsw29pAaag

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

I've been so lazy yesterday and today, I feel like it's been ages since I've studied. What are the odds that I'll get through 500 pages of the trainer in the next two days?

mhaas

Postby mhaas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Bout to bust open the Trainer. DAMN, this is really not how I want to spend my Saturday. Leading up to October I didn't even think about it, it just seemed natural to spend a saturday in the library. Now it's like pulling teeth.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:26 pm

57 retake: LG -2/ LR -1 /RC -3/ PT16LR1 -0 (LG LR LR LR RC)

Now that I'm regularly implementing experimental sections, I think I'm learning more about my test taking ability. I'm fairly certain putting RC fifth today fucked with me, as I circled a bunch of answers and it was a struggle, using up every second of the 35, something I've told myself I wouldn't do on these retakes. I got an identical -3 RC on the retake, and I don't know what it was, but it felt like a fresh section, as I recalled nothing substantive (just general passage subjects). If you consider that I finished this section with time to spare on the first take, I think it's fair to say it being 5th had something to do with the struggle. But again...trying to prepare for any order on test day.

Something absurdly frustrating: I've taken the 57 LG section multiple times and have never done better than -2. Today was the -2, and I continue to hate the fourth game here....so many damn possibilities. I've said before this is the hardest LG section of all time, and I stand by it. No idea what the most difficult LR has been (is 70 a candidate? not judging until I retake it.), but 57 LG and 65 RC are strong contenders for some super-edition of the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”