Post removed.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Otunga » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:28 pm

bee wrote:
Otunga wrote:
dosto5 wrote:Well, if it's any consolation to those of you going in for second takes, I think they're usually considered the easier ones. You have the experience of the first but not the do-or-die pressure of the third. Not going to kill the nerves but anything helps.

eta obviously if you're dead-set on applying this cycle, then forget what I said.


I'm thinking I should be able to shake most anxiety for this test, given that I'd be OK with the application outcomes given my current score in the case of going down in score, which shouldn't happen. All the uncertainty of test day...is not something I feel this time around. I highly doubt I'll suck as much as -9 for LR again, which was a rarity given my PT averages, and I should do better than -5 RC, since -5 was the bottom of my RC range.

the bolded is what im hoping will keep my nerves down come dec. i'd be 95% happy about my cycle with my current stats, so if i can just bring that into the test with me and keep myself calm, i (theoretically) should be okay.


Also, I've improved my test-center from one with cramped desks that just your shoulder fits on (think big lecture hall) to at least competent desks (might have more room than your typical desk, but I'm not sure - I just know it's not a lecture hall style desk). Was your test center even remotely an issue?

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby 062914123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby mellow » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Has there ever been a LR-LR-LR set up? I know people have had it where it's LR-LR-break-LR, but I want to know if I should be prepared for possibly facing 3 LRs in a row without a break.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:45 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:Hey guys/gals so I was hoping to get some input on how to best schedule the rest of Nov. I only work Weds and Thurs. I'm thinking of doing back to back PTs on Mondays and review on Tuesdays. Drill weaknesses on Weds and Thurs after work. Another PT on Fridays with review same day. Drill Saturdays with Sundays off. Thoughts? Should I focus more on PTs or drilling? Or is this a balanced approached?

I would review on the same day (even at most just a couple hours later) when the material's still fresh. That way you know exactly why you got a question wrong: timing, misreading, not understanding the stimulus, etc. Also, I would recommend doing some light drilling rather than taking the day off on Sunday even if it's just one logic game.

Whether you focus on PTs or drilling depends on where you're at right now. If you're just trying to keep your score consistent, probably more PTs. But if you need a boost in a certain section, maybe more drilling until you get it down and then focus on PTs.



I think your right. I'll switch to PTs and review Monday + Tuesdays with drilling Wed-Fri and PT + Review on Saturdays. Thanks for your input!

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:46 pm

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Otunga » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:53 pm

I think I'm going to purposely take PTs out of order just to simulate those types of situations (LG/LG to start, LR/LR/LR all in the middle etc.). I had LR-RC-LR (exp)-LG-LR in Oct, so I might get a consecutive section type this time around.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

amdlv
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby amdlv » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Otunga wrote:Also, I've improved my test-center from one with cramped desks that just your shoulder fits on (think big lecture hall) to at least competent desks (might have more room than your typical desk, but I'm not sure - I just know it's not a lecture hall style desk). Was your test center even remotely an issue?


My first test center was AMAZING! Long tables instead of desks with lots of room in between each tester, comfortable chairs, super competent (and kind) proctors. But by the time I signed up for my retake that center was unavailable (I'm guessing that means full and not "not offered" because why would it be listed if it wasn't even offered?). Of course I just signed up where I could, but I see a long 14 days ahead of me of constantly checking the website to see if a spot has opened up!

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby 062914123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cheme2014
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby cheme2014 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 pm

amdlv wrote:
Otunga wrote:Also, I've improved my test-center from one with cramped desks that just your shoulder fits on (think big lecture hall) to at least competent desks (might have more room than your typical desk, but I'm not sure - I just know it's not a lecture hall style desk). Was your test center even remotely an issue?


My first test center was AMAZING! Long tables instead of desks with lots of room in between each tester, comfortable chairs, super competent (and kind) proctors. But by the time I signed up for my retake that center was unavailable (I'm guessing that means full and not "not offered" because why would it be listed if it wasn't even offered?). Of course I just signed up where I could, but I see a long 14 days ahead of me of constantly checking the website to see if a spot has opened up!

Same here! I absolutely loved my October testing center and had a great experience with the proctors and fellow test-takers (no one being annoying, making a scene, etc.), but when I went to sign up for the December test, the center wasn't even listed even though I signed up pretty early. Sigh. C'est la vie. I couldn't find much info on my new testing center so just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby neprep » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:49 pm

bee wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
bbkk wrote:180
180

goddamnit im about to take 57, thank you for psyching me out, guys

p.s. congrats :D


October retakers are killing it :D

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby CookieDough » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Quick question- I've seen a lot of advice (including in the Trainer) to read the question stem first. I've been reading the stimulus first. At this point should I just stick with what I've been doing? I'm extremely hesitant to switch techniques this close to test day but I'm wondering if this might be what tanked my LR score?

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 pm

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby CookieDough » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 pm

dosto5 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
CookieDough wrote:Quick question- I've seen a lot of advice (including in the Trainer) to read the question stem first. I've been reading the stimulus first. At this point should I just stick with what I've been doing? I'm extremely hesitant to switch techniques this close to test day but I'm wondering if this might be what tanked my LR score?


Switch. Switch now.


I can't imagine reading an LR stimulus without having the question stem in mind now; it's unfortunate so many people are given the wrong advice on this.

On a similar note, with regards to LR drilling (packets) are people generally drilling mixed difficulty questions or just going through the progression? I'm just trying to knock out the Level 1 difficulty for each packet first since they're so simple, but will probably end up trying to mix things up later on. Is there some consensus on this?


Thanks guys. Just the push I needed!

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby neprep » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:17 pm

CookieDough wrote:
dosto5 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
CookieDough wrote:Quick question- I've seen a lot of advice (including in the Trainer) to read the question stem first. I've been reading the stimulus first. At this point should I just stick with what I've been doing? I'm extremely hesitant to switch techniques this close to test day but I'm wondering if this might be what tanked my LR score?


Switch. Switch now.


I can't imagine reading an LR stimulus without having the question stem in mind now; it's unfortunate so many people are given the wrong advice on this.

On a similar note, with regards to LR drilling (packets) are people generally drilling mixed difficulty questions or just going through the progression? I'm just trying to knock out the Level 1 difficulty for each packet first since they're so simple, but will probably end up trying to mix things up later on. Is there some consensus on this?


Thanks guys. Just the push I needed!


Also, if it helps, you don't need to read the entire stem. I used to glance at it and just pick up a few key words that told me what kind of question it was ("strengthen" "weaken" "allow for" and so on). I too switched from the PowerScore advice of reading the stim first, and if you make an effort, the transition is seamless.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby CookieDough » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:29 pm

neprep wrote:
Also, if it helps, you don't need to read the entire stem. I used to glance at it and just pick up a few key words that told me what kind of question it was ("strengthen" "weaken" "allow for" and so on). I too switched from the PowerScore advice of reading the stim first, and if you make an effort, the transition is seamless.


Thanks! I'll try scanning for key words. My initial concern was that it would take more time, but with scanning (and not being confused as to my task) I'm actually thinking in the long run it might go faster. I just wish I'd started this months ago lol

User avatar
Ahamilton
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Ahamilton » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm targeting rc

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby bbkk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:05 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:What hurt your score on test day? Running out of time, making silly mistakes, bombing a specific section, etc.


It was not about timing. It did take me longer to finish each section but I still had 1~2 mins left for each section. I was very nervous and couldn't think straight. I remembered a couple questions that I had to guess between 2 answers. I haven't checked my PT 70 answers yet. Plan to redo it and figure out.


dosto5 wrote:
I hesitate to suggest this, but you may be one of the people who needs to retake PT70, or just look back over it, right now.


I think you are right. I know I should do it - I was hesitating because I was still scared to face it. I'm going to do it today or tomorrow


civis wrote:I think PTing under worse conditions than exam day might help: busy coffee shop, really small table, more tired than usual, etc. It might be useful to have a friend actually proctor it in space that feels like a test room (e.g. floor on a library). Shoot for finishing way under time on each section. I think the key for you (and probably for me) is to get your brain in the headspace where the LSAT is auto-pilot even when you're nervous. All this might not net you a 179 on PT 71, but it'll certainly get you closer.


Thanks I'll try that. I had problem concentrating while studying in a noisy cafeteria. But I'll try it this time.

CookieDough wrote:Definitely mix up the PT conditions. I did and if anything I was too calm on test day (just freaked out before and after lol). I took PTs on beaches, with a fever, with NO desk, on an airplane... You don't have to go crazy, but the more you create a routine for studying the more disorienting the real thing seems to be.


You are so right! For the 2 months leading up to the Oct test I went to library every Saturday morning to do a 5-section PT at exactly the same time. It did become a routine! And when test day came, things became quite different and I lost my pace right away!

PourMeTea wrote:bbkk, hate to break it to you, but you actually 180'd this one. Raw score was out of 101, so you went -2 for 99.

My breakdown was:

LG: -0
LR: -1
LR: -0
RC: -1
Raw: 99/180

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm skeptical of these high scores because I'm not completely unfamiliar with the material and I know that it's difficult to replicate the anxiety of test day. Although I have to say, instead of just using a watch, I started using the proctor app, which definitely incites some form of panic at the beginning. What do you use to time yourself?

Ugh. I can't shake this feeling that I know absolutely nothing about LR despite my post-October PT scores telling me otherwise.
/nutcase


Thanks for pointing it out tea - I graded it in bed last night before sleep, misread the curve. But I agree with you, the score is definitely inflated.

I've been using the 7sage proctor video on Youtube in the past and now i'm using the app. It gives you the choice to set a shorter time for each section. I did this PT with 32 mins/section. You should try it, the app is pretty good.

I completely understand what you said. I have that mixed feeling about my ability/knowledge too. Anyway, I'm going to do PT 70 soon and figure it out. You?

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby CookieDough » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:12 pm

bbkk wrote:
CookieDough wrote:Definitely mix up the PT conditions. I did and if anything I was too calm on test day (just freaked out before and after lol). I took PTs on beaches, with a fever, with NO desk, on an airplane... You don't have to go crazy, but the more you create a routine for studying the more disorienting the real thing seems to be.


You are so right! For the 2 months leading up to the Oct test I went to library every Saturday morning to do a 5-section PT at exactly the same time. It did become a routine! And when test day came, things became quite different and I lost my pace right away!



Just switch it up a little :) You seem to be in great shape, and I have all the confidence in the world that you're going to rock December!

Edited because I can't quote :P

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby mellow » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:12 pm

PT 57
LG: -1
LR (PT1 S4 Exp): 0
LR: 0
LR: -1
RC: -1

Curve: -11, 98/101, 179

I actually got -0 on the LG, but I blind guessed between two answer choices on the last question I had left so I didn't count that. Ugh I haven't run out of time on LG in a long time. Dinosaurs wasn't bad, but I got a bit anxious about remaining time when I flipped the page to a solid wall of text. Kept forgetting one of the rules (no more than 6) so it actually took me longer than the dinosaurs game.

PourMeTea wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I'm skeptical of these high scores because I'm not completely unfamiliar with the material and I know that it's difficult to replicate the anxiety of test day. Although I have to say, instead of just using a watch, I started using the proctor app, which definitely incites some form of panic at the beginning. What do you use to time yourself

+1 on the proctor app. I never realized how little time I have in between sections until I started using one. Resetting watches and letting go of questions you were uncertain about so they don't affect the rest of your performance in just a few seconds is an artform.

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:23 pm

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby retaking23 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:28 pm

My String of Ugly LSATs continue. PTs 41-44 have gone 170, 170, 169, 164

PT 45: 167

LR: -5(three left blank)
RC: -9 (five left blank)
LG: -0
LR: -2

Time issues continue to kill me on RC and the occasional poor LR compounds my problems until I hit a section I can feel good about (finished LG with over 10 minutes to spare). It is emphatically clear now, RC will decide my fate on PT 71. I will take PT 57 in an hour or so so that I can be ready to make the best out of the group review. Does anyone else feel that if you get a good (confidence boosting) a section early on, you can do rather well on that test. Conversely, if you get your WTF section early on, you will do quite shitty on that test. I am not alone in this am I?

I need to work on my mental fortitude. If I get bogged down over spilt milk on PT71, I will be in 16X hell.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:29 pm

cheme2014 wrote:
amdlv wrote:
Otunga wrote:Also, I've improved my test-center from one with cramped desks that just your shoulder fits on (think big lecture hall) to at least competent desks (might have more room than your typical desk, but I'm not sure - I just know it's not a lecture hall style desk). Was your test center even remotely an issue?


My first test center was AMAZING! Long tables instead of desks with lots of room in between each tester, comfortable chairs, super competent (and kind) proctors. But by the time I signed up for my retake that center was unavailable (I'm guessing that means full and not "not offered" because why would it be listed if it wasn't even offered?). Of course I just signed up where I could, but I see a long 14 days ahead of me of constantly checking the website to see if a spot has opened up!

Same here! I absolutely loved my October testing center and had a great experience with the proctors and fellow test-takers (no one being annoying, making a scene, etc.), but when I went to sign up for the December test, the center wasn't even listed even though I signed up pretty early. Sigh. C'est la vie. I couldn't find much info on my new testing center so just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.


I had the same problem with Oct. Tried to sign up in early August, and center was unavailable. I kept checking, and 2 days before drop date, it opened up with limited availability, along with an altogether previously unlisted center. Keep checking and good luck!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: proteinshake and 7 guests