Post removed.

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:16 pm

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:21 am

Another day, another bombed LR section. I need to get -0 by the Thanksgiving.

User avatar
becs
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby becs » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:34 am

Spent my Saturday night with my BFF J.Y. Ping. 7sage videos all day every day. One day soon I will no longer suck at LG.

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby bbkk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:38 am

Just done reviewing PT57. Did it this morning around 9am. First full 5-section PT since Oct. This was my second take of this PT; last seen in May. Here's the break down:

LG: -0
LR: -0 (struggled with 2 questions)
LR: -0
RC: -2

98/179

Honestly at this point, high PT scores have completely failed to cheer me up. After scoring 10 points below my average PT score in Oct, now seeing those numbers only makes me more frustrated.

I've been thinking, since I can't really control what would happen on test day, maybe I should try to train myself to get used to PTing under extreme anxiety. The problem now is I can't get myself nervous enough. No matter how much I tried to mimic the exam conditions, deep down there I knew it wasn't real so I wasn't even a hundredth as anxious/nervous as I would be at the real thing. :(

Guys, any thoughts?

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:00 am

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby mellow » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:04 am

bbkk wrote:I've been thinking, since I can't really control what would happen on test day, maybe I should try to train myself to get used to PTing under extreme anxiety. The problem now is I can't get myself nervous enough. No matter how much I tried to mimic the exam conditions, deep down there I knew it wasn't real so I wasn't even a hundredth as anxious/nervous as I would be at the real thing. :(

Guys, any thoughts?

What hurt your score on test day? Running out of time, making silly mistakes, bombing a specific section, etc.

I also scored lower than my average, but I know that's because my timing was much slower on the actual test due to anxiety. Even though I most likely got an answer correct, I was double checking even the most obvious answers because I didn't want to make a mistake on the real thing. Now I could just tell myself not to do this next time, but anxiety doesn't work like that. I'm hoping that by speeding myself up even more, I should be able to make up for any lag time on the actual test. I've been testing with 30 minute sections for new PTs and 27 for any PT I've seen before.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby 062914123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:06 am

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 am

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
action90
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby action90 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 am

First PT back, #52.

RC- -2
LR- -0
LR2- -1
LG- -0

178. Remembered some of the LR just from re using material and could recall reading the RC passages (thought didnt remember specifics). Was reading RC for structure and annotating less though, think it helped with timing and went back whenever the question required it. Thanks bee for the advice.

User avatar
action90
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby action90 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 am

bee wrote:
melodygreenleaf wrote:I also scored lower than my average, but I know that's because my timing was much slower on the actual test due to anxiety. Even though I most likely got an answer correct, I was double checking even the most obvious answers because I didn't want to make a mistake on the real thing. Now I could just tell myself not to do this next time, but anxiety doesn't work like that. I'm hoping that by speeding myself up even more, I should be able to make up for any lag time on the actual test. I've been testing with 30 minute sections for new PTs and 27 for any PT I've seen before.


this was me on test day as well. i basically played one of the games twice because i was so damn afraid i had fucked up. my game plan is also to train myself to complete sections 5 or more minutes before time is called, and hopefully compensate for my inevitable test day nerves.

...yeah sorry no useful advice, just wanted to chime in and say i know exactly how all you guys are feeling. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. :D :cry:


Finishing all the sections with 5 minutes left on test day would be really impressive imo. If you can do that and do well, I will pray for you to get into Harvard

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:23 am

.
Last edited by dosto on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
action90
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby action90 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:15 am

dosto5 wrote:
action90 wrote:First PT back, #52.

RC- -2
LR- -0
LR2- -1
LG- -0

178. Remembered some of the LR just from re using material and could recall reading the RC passages (thought didnt remember specifics). Was reading RC for structure and annotating less though, think it helped with timing and went back whenever the question required it. Thanks bee for the advice.


Have you gone through the RC part of the Trainer? It reiterated a lot of Bee's points and is definitely the right way to go about it. Also, good job on the 178.


starting the trainer RC on Monday, wanted to get a PT under my belt

civis
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby civis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 am

,
Last edited by civis on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

civis
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby civis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 am

.
Last edited by civis on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nooooo
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby nooooo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:51 am

PT57: "Mauve is overrated"

LG: -0
LR1: -5 (-1)
LR2: -3 (-0)
RC: -4 (-1)

Timed: 171 / (Blind Review 180)

Almost every question I went and blind reviewed was simply to go back on my original answer. I'm wasting time overthinking the answers and giving them too much merit. Losing time, getting questions wrong. I'm using the LSAT Trainer/Manhattan as my guides (highly recommended), and I guess it's just timing/confidence woes.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Otunga » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 am

dosto5 wrote:Well, if it's any consolation to those of you going in for second takes, I think they're usually considered the easier ones. You have the experience of the first but not the do-or-die pressure of the third. Not going to kill the nerves but anything helps.

eta obviously if you're dead-set on applying this cycle, then forget what I said.


I'm thinking I should be able to shake most anxiety for this test, given that I'd be OK with the application outcomes given my current score in the case of going down in score, which shouldn't happen. All the uncertainty of test day...is not something I feel this time around. I highly doubt I'll suck as much as -9 for LR again, which was a rarity given my PT averages, and I should do better than -5 RC, since -5 was the bottom of my RC range.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 am

I'm having trouble w Reading Comp. A lil background: I hope my score will go up but so far I am only able to finish the first 3 passages in alloted 35 min. I complete the last passage in about 14m. On avg. for the first 3passages, I get 14 correct and 6-7 incorrect. Incuding last pasg. I avg.=-9 on the entire section. I realize it takes me 5 min to read the psg. then 7-8 more to answer qs. I know I will get quicker as time moves on and Ive barely studied RC...Anyhow, Im following the Voyager/Manhattan instructions. So far here is what I have.

(A mix of Voyager and Manhattan Lsat) 
1.write main idea of psg./parag. In margin
2. Break down long paragr. Into smaller ones
3.box definitions, underline viewpoints
4.identify sides of argument--authors opinionand Label sides of arg.

PEAR (Manhatt)
1.pause at conclusionof parag.
2.evaluate--did anything clue you to central arg./authors op?
3.anticipate next paragraph role 
4.reassess understanding o parag.

Doea this make sense? Anything to +?

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Otunga » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:03 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:I'm having trouble w Reading Comp. A lil background: I hope my score will go up but so far I am only able to finish the first 3 passages in alloted 35 min. I complete the last passage in about 14m. On avg. for the first 3passages, I get 14 correct and 6-7 incorrect. Incuding last pasg. I avg.=-9 on the entire section. I realize it takes me 5 min to read the psg. then 7-8 more to answer qs. I know I will get quicker as time moves on and Ive barely studied RC...Anyhow, Im following the Voyager/Manhattan instructions. So far here is what I have.

(A mix of Voyager and Manhattan Lsat) 
1.write main idea of psg./parag. In margin
2. Break down long paragr. Into smaller ones
3.box definitions, underline viewpoints
4.identify sides of argument--authors opinionand Label sides of arg.

PEAR (Manhatt)
1.pause at conclusionof parag.
2.evaluate--did anything clue you to central arg./authors op?
3.anticipate next paragraph role 
4.reassess understanding o parag.

Doea this make sense? Anything to +?


What could be happening is that you're overcomplicating your approach. Personally, I think the less notation you do, the better. I'd suggest just sticking with the Manhattan approach and see how you do time-wise. Basically, all that you're doing in the Voyager approach might be wasting time.

User avatar
action90
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby action90 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:10 am

Anyone wanna trade my 8pm review slot for 57 with 9pm? Going to the Jet game and im gonna be tight on times.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:17 am

PT57:
LG: -2
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
RC: -7
Exp LR: -6

89/101 for 169

Hitting the Trainer for my RC. Still some work ahead. I need to clean up my LG and LR, but overall am satisfied with my first PT since October 5th. I did not recall many of the questions.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby Yazzzay » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 am

Is it advisable to only take preptests under the time restraints? I've gotten in the habit recently of just doing the tests and normally doing each section in 40-50 mins...which is not too helpful I'm thinking now.

I just felt when I was doing the tests in the proper time constraints my score wasn't budging...should I still stick to it or keep practicing without time?

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby wtrc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

Yazzzay wrote:Is it advisable to only take preptests under the time restraints? I've gotten in the habit recently of just doing the tests and normally doing each section in 40-50 mins...which is not too helpful I'm thinking now.

I just felt when I was doing the tests in the proper time constraints my score wasn't budging...should I still stick to it or keep practicing without time?


There's a lot to be said about improving accuracy over timing initially, but if you are planning on definitely doing December (as opposed to Feb or waiting a cycle), then yeah, I would definitely start getting that timing down now, since it's not too far away.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby CookieDough » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 pm

civis wrote:
bbkk wrote:98/179

Honestly at this point, high PT scores have completely failed to cheer me up. After scoring 10 points below my average PT score in Oct, now seeing those numbers only makes me more frustrated.

I've been thinking, since I can't really control what would happen on test day, maybe I should try to train myself to get used to PTing under extreme anxiety. The problem now is I can't get myself nervous enough. No matter how much I tried to mimic the exam conditions, deep down there I knew it wasn't real so I wasn't even a hundredth as anxious/nervous as I would be at the real thing. :(

Guys, any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat. Anxiety killed me on test day. Really disappointing given my PT scores leading up to Oct 5. Took my first PT since yesterday and landed a 176 even though I felt rusty and the material wasn't fresh (I had seen some of it in drilling but not as a complete test), it was entirely because I was zen about it.

I think PTing under worse conditions than exam day might help: busy coffee shop, really small table, more tired than usual, etc. It might be useful to have a friend actually proctor it in space that feels like a test room (e.g. floor on a library). Shoot for finishing way under time on each section. I think the key for you (and probably for me) is to get your brain in the headspace where the LSAT is auto-pilot even when you're nervous. All this might not net you a 179 on PT 71, but it'll certainly get you closer.


Definitely mix up the PT conditions. I did and if anything I was too calm on test day (just freaked out before and after lol). I took PTs on beaches, with a fever, with NO desk, on an airplane... You don't have to go crazy, but the more you create a routine for studying the more disorienting the real thing seems to be.

Also I'm definitely going to get someone to proctor a few. Good call!

Bottom line is whatever you do, the nerves go away with practice. Just keep going, don't try to make yourself anxious, and once you're confident that you know how to crush each question the nerves won't be as overwhelming.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby 062914123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Postby 062914123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:24 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean, Tazewell and 1 guest