Post removed. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
blackbirdfly

Bronze

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Post by blackbirdfly » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Checking in! I scored 7 points below my PT average. Just bought the LSAT trainer and I'm going to do the four week schedule.

arunanona09

New

Post by arunanona09 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Last edited by arunanona09 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilyt93

New

Post by lilyt93 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:00 am

ame13 wrote:I've never posted on TLS but reading this forum definitely got me through the October LSAT wait.
My nerves got the better of me on the October Test. I scored a point LOWER than my cold diagnostic exam....my DIAGNOSTIC exam :shock: ... when I was averaging between a 163-166 the last two months of my studying. When I got the October test in front of me it just set in that it was the REAL thing and my nerves took over. I'm pretty sure I had an outer body experience during the first section.

But nothing can prepare you for test day nerves other than test day itself so I'm determined to use my experience in October and rock the December test.

About that LSAT trainer book though..I had private tutoring with PowerScore so by now I feel really comfortable with their methods. Has anyone used this book after studying with a particular company's method and felt that it supplemented what they already learned? I'm just nervous about starting with a completely different method but I'm open to anything that would enhance or build upon what I'm already comfortable with.
Not sure how much this helps, but I had studied with only the PowerScore books for over ten months. I realized that they weren't going to get me all the way there, and that's when I got the LSAT Trainer. Arguably one of the best decisions of my entire life. It was a very different approach than PowerScore, but I was definitely at an advantage because I was so familiar with their books. If you approach the LSAT Trainer with an open mind, it definitely can supplement and improve the skills you've already built with PowerScore.

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 am

Lily, you give me so much hope!

Does anyone have any advice for getting -0 LG? I'm not the sharpest Ticonderoga on LG. For some reason, it's just not clicking.

arunanona09

New

Post by arunanona09 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 am

blackbirdfly wrote:Lily, you give me so much hope!

Does anyone have any advice for getting -0 LG? I'm not the sharpest Ticonderoga on LG. For some reason, it's just not clicking.

LG is the one area where I have been consistently -0 or -1 and I've used Manhattan combined with the Cambridge bundles. I found it helpful to split them up by category (grouping, in and out, etc) and learn the patterns, not moving on until I was sure I could identify a game plan for each problem type. good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 am

tofuspeedstar wrote:
snagglepuss wrote: Shiiiiiiiiit. You must be getting real serious this time, eh? Keep us posted on your LSAT Trainer progress.

It's personal why I got rid of it.

I was serious about October and I jumped 10+ pts over my June '12 shitshow of a take, but, I still have more left in the tank for a 170+. I know I can do it.

Here's the 4 week plan I'll be following-It's a lot to take in honestly but I can do it at work and home because I'm taking my last 3 credit hours this semester so school is on the lighter side.

--LinkRemoved--

edit: sorry if i came off sounding like an asshole, but, the few days leading up to today have been particularly bad. The score helped a bit, but, overall it's still pretty shit here in Tofu's world right now.
Congrats on the huge improvement man; over 10 points is no joke. Sorry to hear about the trials you're facing, but from your posts you sound like you've already shown the strength to overcome some shit. Can't wait to see what we can do in december.

I'll probably follow the 4 week trainer schedule loosely so I can fit more PTs in. So we can bounce thoughts around in here.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:36 am

snagglepuss wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:
snagglepuss wrote: Shiiiiiiiiit. You must be getting real serious this time, eh? Keep us posted on your LSAT Trainer progress.

It's personal why I got rid of it.

I was serious about October and I jumped 10+ pts over my June '12 shitshow of a take, but, I still have more left in the tank for a 170+. I know I can do it.

Here's the 4 week plan I'll be following-It's a lot to take in honestly but I can do it at work and home because I'm taking my last 3 credit hours this semester so school is on the lighter side.

--LinkRemoved--

edit: sorry if i came off sounding like an asshole, but, the few days leading up to today have been particularly bad. The score helped a bit, but, overall it's still pretty shit here in Tofu's world right now.
Congrats on the huge improvement man; over 10 points is no joke. Sorry to hear about the trials you're facing, but from your posts you sound like you've already shown the strength to overcome some shit. Can't wait to see what we can do in december.

I'll probably follow the 4 week trainer schedule loosely so I can fit more PTs in. So we can bounce thoughts around in here.
Just let me know. But, if I don't feel ready by Thanksgiving I'm just going to sit out this cycle. I'd rather do it right with my last take then blow it and end up in TTT purgatory.

TripleX

New

Post by TripleX » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:37 am

7sage LG vids. That being said, I've never gotten -0 but I went from -9 to -3 (on October test) in a week.

162 in October. Personal best, but nowhere near my limit. -12 LR -8 RC -3 LG. Time to really buckle down for December. The amount of actual studying for October was pitiful. 3 whole PT's and 13 drilling sections.

Just signed up for the 7sage complete course. I'm sure that will help me crush the LR, and I'll have to do what I can for the RC. I'd be extremely pleased with -5LR -5RC -0LG in December.

How do y'all track your progress? I've just been using a spread sheet with color codes for bad/neutral/good scores by section. Then an area for notes at the end.

[citation_omitted]

New

Post by [citation_omitted] » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 am

Gary wrote:Guys i need some advice whether I should retake or not:

I got my 174 back today and the breakdown was
LR -0
LG -0
RC -5
LR -2

My practice test average was about a 178 for PTs 155-169 and I've never scored below a -2 in RC. I think getting no sleep affected me the most during this section. I told myself that I would retake a 173 and be ecstatic about a 175 and of course like most people on TLS, I score right in between.

What do you guys suggest?

Also my dream school is Columbia and mylsn shows a lock with a 175 but a possibility for being waitlisted with my current score and gpa (above median). advice pleaseeeeeeeee :?
That's not enough below your PT average to justify a retake. IDK about "mylsn" (what it is, what it does, etc.), but if you'd be a lock with a 175, it's almost certainly a net deficit for you to apply two months later in the cycle with MAYBE a score that's 1 to 4 points higher. Think about a two-month difference, for what will probably be a 1-2 point bump. No one should expect to score their PT average on the real thing, most people take a couple-point drop.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:45 am

TripleX wrote:

7sage LG vids. That being said, I've never gotten -0 but I went from -9 to -3 (on October test) in a week.

162 in October. Personal best, but nowhere near my limit. -12 LR -8 RC -3 LG. Time to really buckle down for December. The amount of actual studying for October was pitiful. 3 whole PT's and 13 drilling sections.

Just signed up for the 7sage complete course. I'm sure that will help me crush the LR, and I'll have to do what I can for the RC. I'd be extremely pleased with -5LR -5RC -0LG in December.

How do y'all track your progress? I've just been using a spread sheet with color codes for bad/neutral/good scores by section. Then an area for notes at the end.

http://www.lsatqa.com/

make an account there. You can input all your PTs and it'll break it down for you by question type for each section and show you what you're missing the most of and getting correct so you can eliminate those weaknesses.

But I think 7sage has a test input system similar to lsatqa so you can see where your weaknesses are for certain sections.

action90

Bronze

Post by action90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:59 am

Averaging around 175, scored a 170. -6 on RC, -4 on LR, -1 on LG (usually am -0). What do you suggest?

action90

Bronze

Post by action90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 am

lilyt93 wrote:
ame13 wrote:I've never posted on TLS but reading this forum definitely got me through the October LSAT wait.
My nerves got the better of me on the October Test. I scored a point LOWER than my cold diagnostic exam....my DIAGNOSTIC exam :shock: ... when I was averaging between a 163-166 the last two months of my studying. When I got the October test in front of me it just set in that it was the REAL thing and my nerves took over. I'm pretty sure I had an outer body experience during the first section.

But nothing can prepare you for test day nerves other than test day itself so I'm determined to use my experience in October and rock the December test.

About that LSAT trainer book though..I had private tutoring with PowerScore so by now I feel really comfortable with their methods. Has anyone used this book after studying with a particular company's method and felt that it supplemented what they already learned? I'm just nervous about starting with a completely different method but I'm open to anything that would enhance or build upon what I'm already comfortable with.
Not sure how much this helps, but I had studied with only the PowerScore books for over ten months. I realized that they weren't going to get me all the way there, and that's when I got the LSAT Trainer. Arguably one of the best decisions of my entire life. It was a very different approach than PowerScore, but I was definitely at an advantage because I was so familiar with their books. If you approach the LSAT Trainer with an open mind, it definitely can supplement and improve the skills you've already built with PowerScore.
Did you use LSAT trainer for all 3 sections?

lilyt93

New

Post by lilyt93 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

action90 wrote:
lilyt93 wrote:

Did you use LSAT trainer for all 3 sections?
I only learned about it less than two weeks before the LSAT, and I had been doing very well on LG (only missing due to very very stupid mistakes or misbubbling). LR and RC had started to get pretty hit or miss (sometimes up to -5), so I put all of my energy into those sections. As I've said before though, given how truly great those chapters were, I feel confident saying that I'm sure that the LG chapters are also top-notch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 am

Hi guys, checking in!

Drilled some LG today to get back into LSAT-mode; planning on going through the Trainer starting tomorrow.

Good luck, y'all! :)

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:52 am

Checking in. First PT since June will be Saturday...

action90

Bronze

Post by action90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:56 am

phillywc wrote:Checking in. First PT since June will be Saturday...
Do you only study with PTs?

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:57 am

LSAT Trainer in the mail... Should I wait until it gets here (Wednesday) to get back to studying, or jump back into a PT tomorrow? Sort of thinking it'd be a waste of a PT without a new strategy but it's hard to justify missing out on a study day with such a short turn around for Dec.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 am

CookieDough wrote:LSAT Trainer in the mail... Should I wait until it gets here (Wednesday) to get back to studying, or jump back into a PT tomorrow? Sort of thinking it'd be a waste of a PT without a new strategy but it's hard to justify missing out on a study day with such a short turn around for Dec.

Wait it out.. just drill some LR or LG questions.

I'm sort of kicking myself for buying the physical cambridge packet books instead of the PDFs. :(

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:01 am

tofuspeedstar wrote:
CookieDough wrote:LSAT Trainer in the mail... Should I wait until it gets here (Wednesday) to get back to studying, or jump back into a PT tomorrow? Sort of thinking it'd be a waste of a PT without a new strategy but it's hard to justify missing out on a study day with such a short turn around for Dec.

I'm sort of kicking myself for buying the physical cambridge packet books instead of the PDFs. :(
I hear ya on that, but sometimes I just like having a real book in my hands. idk though, PDFs are super convenient... Gah. Now I'm second guessing myself lol

Thanks for the advice! Drills it is :)

action90

Bronze

Post by action90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:03 am

tofuspeedstar wrote:

Are you just drilling with Cambridge or taking PTs?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:05 am

action90 wrote:
phillywc wrote:Checking in. First PT since June will be Saturday...
Do you only study with PTs?
Yes. Took ~10 PTs first time around in June for 173.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:09 am

Posted this in the December Study Thread before I realized there was a new one for retakers. So I guess I'll post this here too :)

I found TLS too late into my October studying so I just lurked around a bit. Got my test score today, and while it's pretty good (172), I decided to retake for a couple reasons:

1. 172 is not enough for the schools I'm interested in because of my sad, sad GPA.
2. My last 10 PTs average 175~176.
3. I improved from a 164 diagnostic to the 172 in just a month, so I know another boost in another month isn't unreasonable, especially since I was on a huge upward trend the last week of studying.

Would have to say my biggest weakness is LR. I get anywhere from -0 to -4 on a section. Sometimes I finish with 10 minutes extra to look over answers, sometimes I run out of time. I'm thinking more PTs, re-reading Manhattan LR, and going over the LSAT Trainer I just ordered (and everyone else it seems haha) should cover my studying for the next month. Has anyone else run into this huge inconsistency?

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 am

melodygreenleaf wrote:
1. 172 is not enough for the schools I'm interested in because of my sad, sad GPA.
This is my life right now. Except, I also have a sad, sad (by TLS, and tbh my own, standards) LSAT score.

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:15 am

CookieDough wrote:
melodygreenleaf wrote:
This is my life right now. Except, I also have a sad, sad (by TLS, and tbh my own, standards) LSAT score.
Sighhh same here... :cry:

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:17 am

cheme2014 wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
melodygreenleaf wrote:
Sighhh same here... :cry:
:cry: Ok, I'm giving myself until tomorrow to throw my pity party... then I've got to turn this sad mess into an awesome splitter success story! If we buckle down I'm sure we'll both do much better in Dec! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”