Post removed. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jk148706

Gold

Re: December 2013 Retakers

Post by jk148706 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:I'm thinking of taking only 6-section tests from here on out (12 to 15 composite tests). I know burnout potential varies a lot between people but does this sound like a bad idea? Should I maybe only do a few 6-sections for some endurance practice but generally stick to 5?
I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. As you said, it just depends.

I did not have any endurance issues. And honestly about half the PTs I took were four sections. Taking six-section PTs likely will help endurance, but if you don't need to improve on endurance it's likely superfluous.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 pm

bee wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Also, Bee, (you've probably already discussed this somewhere), but are you submitting apps BEFORE Dec. and just telling admissions that you are retaking in Dec. Or are you going to wait?
im going to submit during dec waiting period. i dont want to worry about apps while trying to study in the FIVE WEEKS ARRRGHHH we have left until dec. a lot of shit is already done, tho.
Right.

I basically have everything done, and got a lot of fee waivers. But I don't want to submit them if they base a decision on my current score. UGH, WHY DIDN'T I JUST HIT 174 THIS TIME AROUND!

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 pm

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Going through all the materials I had for Oct is maddening.

I have very little fresh to work with and will likely have to reuse some PTs.

Am I going to have to....like.. just erase my work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 pm

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:11 pm

bee wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Going through all the materials I had for Oct is maddening.

I have very little fresh to work with and will likely have to reuse some PTs.

Am I going to have to....like.. just erase my work?
honestly, i'd prob just pay for the cambridge pdfs and print out fresh PTs. im way too lazy/neurotic to erase and reuse my old PTs, lol.
I'm thinking I will buy my brahs a 12 pack or so to erase for me. That will definitely get it done ha.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:12 pm

So are people going to review 57 on Sunday. Is that a thing I was hearing?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 pm

cheme2014 wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:I'm thinking of taking only 6-section tests from here on out (12 to 15 composite tests). I know burnout potential varies a lot between people but does this sound like a bad idea? Should I maybe only do a few 6-sections for some endurance practice but generally stick to 5?
I do six sections and it works for me, but like you said, it depends on the person :)

ETA: Working on endurance is one reason I do six-section tests, but the main reason for me is that I have a fair amount of fresh PTs left and I want to get through them all. :oops:

That's actually a big reason for me too. Feel like I've been really lazy with PTs thus far. Need to get my shit together.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arunanona09

New

Post by arunanona09 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:
cheme2014 wrote:
I do six sections and it works for me, but like you said, it depends on the person :)

ETA: Working on endurance is one reason I do six-section tests, but the main reason for me is that I have a fair amount of fresh PTs left and I want to get through them all. :oops:

That's actually a big reason for me too. Feel like I've been really lazy with PTs thus far. Need to get my shit together.

THIS. i was even fighting the urge to check/score all my answers from sections 1-3 during the break when i would take PTs near october

vuthy

Bronze

Post by vuthy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Sorry to thread-crash, but one thing I found even more helpful than doing 5- or 6-section tests was just doing 4-sections tests with no break. Then, on test day, the break after 3 felt great, and I had no endurance problems at all. In fact, I only did one 5-section test out of all of my PTs. But YMMV.

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 pm

vuthy wrote:
Sorry to thread-crash, but one thing I found even more helpful than doing 5- or 6-section tests was just doing 4-sections tests with no break. Then, on test day, the break after 3 felt great, and I had no endurance problems at all. In fact, I only did one 5-section test out of all of my PTs. But YMMV.
Yeah I know what you mean. I throw in two back-to-back tests (4 sections, break, 4 sections) from time to time, but it's not that fun and I wouldn't do it every time I take a PT lol.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 pm

vuthy wrote:

Great idea. That might be just what I need since I think I'm pretty prone to burnout and 6-sec tests or back-to-back ones might just kill me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:49 pm

dosto5 wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:
vuthy wrote:

Great idea. That might be just what I need since I think I'm pretty prone to burnout and 6-sec tests or back-to-back ones might just kill me.
Yeah Dingle if you're taking breaks during 4-section tests you should stop asap. One thing that might help you is doing same section types back-to-back[-to-back]. I mean, I could easily do 2 LG sections in a row, but I'd have a harder time with two RCs or 3 LRs. You might get one of those setups on test day with an experimental and it could really throw you off.

ETA that was a terribly worded post on my part.

Whoops, totally misread Vuthy. I thought he/she did 5-sec tests with no breaks. So far I've only done the standard 5-sec tests with breaks. Might incorporate Vuthy's idea into my normal routine and swtich to 5-sec without breaks or move to 6-section ones or a combination; still trying to figure it out.

I also have a problem with certain back-to-back section arrangements. Good point about preparing for this.

aprilyup

New

Post by aprilyup » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:03 am

arunanona09 wrote:
bee wrote:
arunanona09 wrote:
aprilyup wrote:Took the October LSAT for the first time.

Stats:165 with 10 wrongs in RC...Any advice on how to improve on RC in 5 weeks?

Probably will also be using LSAT Trainer thanks to all the recommendation.

Also need a study partner (could be online) to motivate each other! Anyone please?

i'm curious about RC improvement as well - NINE wrong during october - i also bought LSAT Trainer. aprilyup i need motivation too! PM me if you want to study.
what are your specific problems w/r/t rc? the more information you provide, the more i can (attempt) to help you.

very broadly, i have trouble on passages 3-4 (usually being the case that they are the more difficult ones), particularly with regards to science/humanities. another problem is that i can't tell how a RC section went when im done...in october i thought RC was easy but it was my worst section.
also practicing RC passages always seem exceptionally mind-numbing for some reason...i cant seem to see how i'm improving while doing them.

bee thanks SO much if you have any advice!
Newbie to this forum so not sure if I am hitting the right button to reply...But either way, yes! Let's be study partners!!
And thank you Bee!!! My problem with RC is that I always run out of time, 5 wrongs are from the last passage because I only got 2 minutes left for it...Also with some questions I can't seem to tell the right answers from the wrongs one (like I can't find the rules for how to choose the best answer). What should I do in this situation? Thanks!!

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Post by PrizeFighter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:23 am

i'm curious about RC improvement as well - NINE wrong during october - i also bought LSAT Trainer. aprilyup i need motivation too! PM me if you want to study.[/quote]

what are your specific problems w/r/t rc? the more information you provide, the more i can (attempt) to help you.[/quote]

very broadly, i have trouble on passages 3-4 (usually being the case that they are the more difficult ones), particularly with regards to science/humanities. another problem is that i can't tell how a RC section went when im done...in october i thought RC was easy but it was my worst section.
also practicing RC passages always seem exceptionally mind-numbing for some reason...i cant seem to see how i'm improving while doing them.

bee thanks SO much if you have any advice![/quote]

Newbie to this forum so not sure if I am hitting the right button to reply...But either way, yes! Let's be study partners!!
And thank you Bee!!! My problem with RC is that I always run out of time, 5 wrongs are from the last passage because I only got 2 minutes left for it...Also with some questions I can't seem to tell the right answers from the wrongs one (like I can't find the rules for how to choose the best answer). What should I do in this situation? Thanks!![/quote]

Timing was the biggest thing for me in RC. I was normally -2 to -4 on RC, but I got my first -0 in October, and I think trying to get through the section quickly actually helped me. I read once that the hard part of RC isn't the passage or the questions; it's the answer choices. Many of them are so similar that we spend a lot of time sifting through the last two choices, and this is were we lose the most time. So, what I started doing was just going with my first instinct and moving on to get through the section as fast as I could and then returning to the ones that I felt most unsure about. Once I do return, I only change an answer choice if I find hard proof in the passage because I found myself changing too many rights into wrongs.

tl;dr - Intuition is a powerful tool that can help with timing if you simply trust that your brain knows something you don't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:39 am

PrizeFighter wrote:i'm curious about RC improvement as well - NINE wrong during october - i also bought LSAT Trainer. aprilyup i need motivation too! PM me if you want to study.
what are your specific problems w/r/t rc? the more information you provide, the more i can (attempt) to help you.[/quote]

bee thanks SO much if you have any advice![/quote]

And thank you Bee!!! My problem with RC is that I always run out of time, 5 wrongs are from the last passage because I only got 2 minutes left for it...Also with some questions I can't seem to tell the right answers from the wrongs one (like I can't find the rules for how to choose the best answer). What should I do in this situation? Thanks!![/quote]

Timing was the biggest thing for me in RC. I was normally -2 to -4 on RC, but I got my first -0 in October, and I think trying to get through the section quickly actually helped me. I read once that the hard part of RC isn't the passage or the questions; it's the answer choices. Many of them are so similar that we spend a lot of time sifting through the last two choices, and this is were we lose the most time. So, what I started doing was just going with my first instinct and moving on to get through the section as fast as I could and then returning to the ones that I felt most unsure about. Once I do return, I only change an answer choice if I find hard proof in the passage because I found myself changing too many rights into wrongs.

tl;dr - Intuition is a powerful tool that can help with timing if you simply trust that your brain knows something you don't.[/quote]

im a fan of this approach, learning to let go of a harder question always gets me...i cant get past a question for a few minutes and it screws me later. solid advice prizefighter! ill give it a shot.

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:34 am

dosto5 wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:
vuthy wrote:
Yeah Dingle if you're taking breaks during 4-section tests you should stop asap. One thing that might help you is doing same section types back-to-back[-to-back]. I mean, I could easily do 2 LG sections in a row, but I'd have a harder time with two RCs or 3 LRs. You might get one of those setups on test day with an experimental and it could really throw you off.

ETA that was a terribly worded post on my part.
Butting in, but this is a great idea that I'm going to start using asap. Thanks! Having 3 LR sections in a row would be a nightmare, but one that's very possible.

Also, anyone have suggestions for the opposite of burnout? When I take back to back PTs, I generally do significantly better on the second one (my only 180s). I tried warming up on test day with a couple questions from each section and a logic game, but maybe I should do more? Seems like getting myself focused is the problem.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:Seeing this thread move a bunch of pages today actually made me a bit jealous.

I just wanted to pop in to wish you all the best of luck!

TripleX

New

Post by TripleX » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:14 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
cheme2014 wrote:

My biggest problem. I've only ever taken 3 PTs. Lmao, pathetic.

Who wants to do full length PTs when you can just drill LG sections and feel good about yourself?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:11 am

First day studying since Oct 5 (I'm counting 70 as just another PT), and I feel really good. I'm going through the lsat trainer to get started ... What is everyone else doing at this point?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

jk148706 wrote:First day studying since Oct 5 (I'm counting 70 as just another PT), and I feel really good. I'm going through the lsat trainer to get started ... What is everyone else doing at this point?
Drilling specific LR question types that tripped me up in October and supplementing this with the Trainer. My studying is more targeted this time around.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:35 am

TripleX wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:
cheme2014 wrote:

My biggest problem. I've only ever taken 3 PTs. Lmao, pathetic.

Who wants to do full length PTs when you can just drill LG sections and feel good about yourself?
100% my problem. LG clicked like a month before the October test and got easy for me and instead of moving on to work all the time on LR I just kept doing games for fun.

Last night I got through 2 lessons in the Trainer but didn't do anything else. This study rate isn't going to be enough, I need to get serious and soon

tdensen

New

Post by tdensen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 am

Checking in for December retake.

I did well on the October test, but sort of toward the bottom of my PT range. Unfortunately I took a nondisclosed test - mine was canceled due to extenuating circumstances at the test site - so I don't exactly know where I went wrong on test day. I really just want to score 3 points higher to hopefully help receive some merit aid.

But I definitely underestimated my performance anxiety on test day. I obsessed over some answers and this caused me to finish two questions short on each of two pre-break sections, which rarely ever happened in my practice tests.

I also didn't realize the brevity between sections. That really rattled me. Especially right after not finishing a logical reasoning section, and then boom, "Pencils down. Pencils up. Begin." Is it common to have as little as 15 seconds between sections or was it just the proctor I had that day? I might register for a different test center if it was because of the proctor. I practiced using the virtual proctor here http://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsat-proctor/‎. This one gives a full minute between sections. Admittedly it is usually longer than I need, but I probably got used to using the time to relax and re-calibrate my brain before the next section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”