Someone fainted -addendum?! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
emmybee

Bronze

Someone fainted -addendum?!

Post by emmybee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday was my third take. I had LG- RC (exp)- LR -LR - RC

A girl in my testing room fainted during the second LR section (the hardest section on the whole test!). The proctor had everyone stop and wait while paramedics came, etc. It was very jarring to my nerves and when we resumed the LR section we had 11 minutes left and I basically was in a major panic which carried over into what should have been a straightforward RC section.

Prior to the girl fainting I felt poised to break a 170 because:
LG was simple except for the last question on the first game, rule substitution question -0/1
LR1 only had a few tricky questions -2/3
LR2 who knows! It was already a terrible section but with the fainting anything from -3 to -8??
RC very straightforward with interesting topics but I was panicky and could've gone -2 to -4

I am shaken and disappointed about the whole experience. Given that this was my last attempt there isn't much I can do except wait for the score release and hope for the best. I plan to submit my apps the day after the scores are released.

My question is: should I prepare an addendum explaining what happened or can the schools see the notation that the proctors made about the fainting incident thus making an addendum redundant?

Thank you! :D

midwest17

Gold

Re: Someone fainted -addendum?!

Post by midwest17 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:40 pm

If you think it had a major impact on your score, you could complain to LSAC. It sounds like their standard remedy is to wipe this test off your records and let you take the December test for free, assuming they agree that it was a significant issue?

emmybee

Bronze

Post by emmybee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks midwest17!

Tough decision; assuming a -11 curve I could still have broken a 170, although the scary thing is my estimated range is anywhere from a 166 - 173 roughly. The prospect of having yesterday's test wiped off my record, prepping for December and waiting until early January to submit apps is a little too dismal for me. I think I will accept this score and hope for the best. I guess I have 6 days from yesterday to ponder it though.

Assuming I keep this October score, does anyone suggest that I write an addendum about the fainting? Can the schools see the proctor's notation? Thanks!

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:49 pm

The girl who fainted would have a decent addendum. You just watched something happen to a complete stranger, so I'm not sure how persuasive of an addendum it would be.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:The girl who fainted would have a decent addendum. You just watched something happen to a complete stranger, so I'm not sure how persuasive of an addendum it would be.
This. If you do write an addendum, keep it short and don't overplay it. Be careful not to sound like you're whining or blaming the person who fainted.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:03 pm

midwest17 wrote:
mr. wednesday wrote:The girl who fainted would have a decent addendum. You just watched something happen to a complete stranger, so I'm not sure how persuasive of an addendum it would be.
This. If you do write an addendum, keep it short and don't overplay it. Be careful not to sound like you're whining or blaming the person who fainted.
I would skip the addendum entirely. If this type of thing played well with law schools, everyone would have a similar addendum about the thing that caused their score to be 2-3 points lower than it should have been.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”