Taken LSAT twice.. haven't met target score. What to do?

lsatnewb

Taken LSAT twice.. haven't met target score. What to do?

Postby lsatnewb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 pm

My target is 170+ but I took the LSAT last year when I was still in college and only got 151. I had only studied for a month and half and taken about 5 PTs, so I tried again this October but I don't think I'll be able to hit 170. Maybe low-mid 160s.

Right now I'm in a pretty bad position because I don't know what to do. My goal is a lower T14 because my GPA isn't great. I'm aiming for #7-#14 schools since according to LSN I have at least a 30% or better chance of getting into them (something like 70-80% @ northwestern).

Would it be a good decision to retake the LSAT in June 2014? My issue is with LR. I'm pretty sure I did fine on RC and LG, but I had like 4-5 questions on each of the 3 LR sections I had where I was just confused... so I'm pretty sure I got more than 10 wrong. I'm 100% certain I'm not getting a 170+ and probably going to get like a 160-165. I'm sure I nailed LG as it was not that hard and I'd been getting 100% of my LGs right since PT 58. LR was phenomenally hard, especially the third section. Jesus I almost cried... RC was all right but I think I got like 2 questions wrong...

So... third retake in June? How long does LSAC hold LSAT scores? If I take it in June it will have been two years so does that mean my older scores are trashed? Should I cancel my score for yesterday's test?

I am 22 years old. I feel like my life is over even though I know it isn't too late. I might have to see my doctor to see if I have depression after yesterday. I feel like a failure.

Please help me out guys.

altoid99

Re: Taken LSAT twice.. haven't met target score. What to do?

Postby altoid99 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Maybe the super hard LR section was experimental. Have you confirmed that it was not?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:30 pm

LSAT scores are good for five years. I'm not sure if schools see scores that are over five years old, but you definitely need a score within the last 5 years to apply.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 pm

You don't say what your practice score tests were before heading into your tests.

lsatnewb

Postby lsatnewb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:48 pm

My bad. I studied for about 3 months this summer starting in July. I bought LR drill packets from Cambridge and purchased a bundle (from elsewhere) of PTs from 50-69. I used powerscore and MLSAT, as well as 7sage for learning the LGs. I bought a LG 1-68 packet from cambridge and I did all those games.. so fun!

I used 55-69 for PTs, 50-55 for additional drills.. I was able to bring myself to 170-173 range before blind review on all tests except 59 and 63. I got a 167 on 59 and 168 on 63.

Would retaking in June hurt my chances?

I think the one section of LR was experimental, but I had trouble in the other LR as well and I don't think I'll hit 170 at all. Probably mid 160s.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Take a week off and don't think about the LSAT. Then get back to studying by taking six section PTs, preferably at your actual testing location if possible.

Review every incorrect answer from the past 10 tests and identify why each wrong answer is wrong (RC and LR only). -- I found this to be invaluable for jumping from -3, -2 on LR to -0, -1.

And absolutely retake, but wait until February if you don't feel like you'll be significantly more prepared by the December test date. If you haven't met your goal another take can only help.

Best of luck to you.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:15 pm

lsatnewb wrote:Would it be a good decision to retake the LSAT in June 2014? My issue is with LR. I'm pretty sure I did fine on RC and LG, but I had like 4-5 questions on each of the 3 LR sections I had where I was just confused... so I'm pretty sure I got more than 10 wrong.

The one which had many weird questions is most likely experimental. I've got it too. Don't panic too early.

lsatnewb

Postby lsatnewb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Ok but what about worst case scenario?

What if I end up doing really badly and get a 159?

Then, I will have a 151, 159. If I retake in June and say I do phenomenally well and get a 175 or something... would schools look poorly upon that?

That is why I'm not sure whether to cancel or not.

TigersLaw89

Postby TigersLaw89 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:16 pm

lsatnewb wrote:Ok but what about worst case scenario?

What if I end up doing really badly and get a 159?

Then, I will have a 151, 159. If I retake in June and say I do phenomenally well and get a 175 or something... would schools look poorly upon that?

That is why I'm not sure whether to cancel or not.

I'm like basically in the same situation as you. I took my 1st LSAT 2 yrs ago during my 3rd yr in college, and got a 159. I am also shooting for 170+ and aiming for at least lower tier of T14 or MPV cluster at the highest, I only had a 3.5 overall GPA (albeit with upward trend with finishing grades of 3.9).

I probably got somewhere around low to mid 160ish on this LSAT from Yesterday, based on my minimum PT scores and my feelings about the Test. I did pretty well/decently on most sections, except my last RC i totally ran out of time somehow and ended up making wild guesses on last 6 questions. So 170 is most likely impossible for me now.. I have been hitting somewhere in the range of high 160s to low 170s continuously for the past 2 months of Prep Tests, so I'll probably end up retaking the exam this December (can't wait till Feb/June cuz I really want to apply this cycle and get it over with.) So here I am, stuck on the same dilemma as you. Whether to cancel and have a 159-Cancel-170 or a 159- (low 160s)-170+. What do you think you are going to do?? I'm leaning towards a Cancel based on what I know.... we COULD write an addendum to explain to some extent about why we had to cancel our 2nd Test... of course, 159 or 151-170+ is definitely better than a 159/151 - cancel - 170+, but I'm gathering that a cancelled score and a high third test score is definitely better than a 2 low-score tests and a high 3rd one...

Can anyone else give any comments on that?
Thanks!

lsatnewb

Postby lsatnewb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm

bump.

please advise whether it is worth risking the score or better to cancel.

ty!

esther0123

Postby esther0123 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm not sure how valid my 2 cents will be, but here it goes..

I took October lsat this year too, and I also had 3 LR sections (so 1 experimental LR). I definitely found LR's pretty tricky, definitely having questions I was making educated guesses and rushing the last few, but it's always kind of been a crapshoot for me so I can't predict how it went.

I've been scoring in high 160s-mid 170s myself, and my LR's have been ranging anywhere from 0-4 per section. I think as long as you finished and gave it your best shot, you might want to keep your score, since not many schools average your scores anyways. Also, if it's any consolation, I typically did better on LR's after which I felt pretty badly and did pretty poorly on ones i felt good about after taking the preptest. Your instincts may not be very accurate, especially with all the nerves and time-pressure that were probably messing with your head.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:35 pm

OP:

If I were you, I would not cancel. Most schools only consider your highest score, and even schools that claim to average tend weigh the higher score much more heavily than the lower one. So you can always retake if you're not happy with your score, and you haven't lost out on much. On the other hand, your score might actually be a lot higher than you think it is, so if you do cancel, that would suck. (Re: being confused about answers, I usually feel confused about 4-8 RC questions, and I almost always get most of those questions right. So confusion is not the kiss of death.)

If you do retake, first thing is throw everything recent into LSATQA to analyze your strengths and weaknesses, target specific areas for improvement, and mercilessly drill those areas, reviewing every single question you got wrong and even the questions you got right but were unsure of. (You should circle the every question you're unsure of.) Write out in the margins why incorrect ACs are incorrect, why correct ACs are correct, and what caused you to choose incorrectly (or almost choose incorrectly). If you haven't already, read and work through the Manhattan LR guide. If you already have, do it again. In fact, working through the Manhattan LR guide should probably be the second thing you do after throwing your recent PTs into LSATQA. If you haven't studied logic in college, read up on informal logic, looking at fallacies in particular. I've found a background in informal logic to be invaluable. This is a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Logi ... 0205820379

Also, sounds like a good tutor (but only a good one!) could be helpful for you, although nothing replaces rigorous, disciplined self-study.

Feel free to PM me with any LR, general study questions, or if you want to further discuss why you shouldn't cancel ;). I'm good at LR (pretty consistently get -0s).

lsatnewb

Postby lsatnewb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks.

My only worry is if I do badly again like 150s... what then? If that happens then what?

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:28 pm

lsatnewb wrote:Thanks.

My only worry is if I do badly again like 150s... what then? If that happens then what?

Judging from your posts, I think this is very unlikely. If you've been PTing mostly in the low 170s, it's highly unlikely that you'll drop below 160 unless you make some pretty massive mistakes like misbubbling strings of answers, misreading rules in games, or just completely choking on a game.

And remember, it's not that big of a deal if you do get in the 150s. You can take it again. You can't, however, take it more than three times in a two-year period, so if you cancel this one, then you're hedging all your bets on the next one. Seems to me like canceling carries a greater risk.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 am

-Your scores are good for 5 years (though apparently some schools have stricter standards)
-You get to take 3 tests in any given 2 year period. So if you took your first test last year, this current October test, and another test in June 2014, then you would be able to take it again soon after that depending on which month you took the first test. So you have two more chances in the near future.
-Canceling your score still counts as one of the 3 tests so you have nothing to lose by keeping your score.

You seem really overwhelmed. I'd recommend asking your doctor for a therapist referral. Even if you don't have a major disorder, just talking to a therapist periodically helps so much, even if it's just you ranting about RC while she/he sits and nods. Sometimes you just gotta get it out.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:22 am

OP, I would also recommend not canceling. With you already having a 151, the risk of having another low score isn't very high in terms of your application process. The reward: that you did as well as you were PTing and want to (if your perceived tough LR was experimental), is higher. If need be, take again and then rock it, and all (well, most) will be forgiven.

lsatnewb

Postby lsatnewb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:18 pm

But what if I get a 150s again?

Worst case scenario. I was unsure of like 15 LR questions... and maybe I got the ones I felt confident about wrong... so I can possibly do really bad!!!

Would 151, 150s, 170+ look better than 151, (cancel), 170+? I've taken tests in colelge where I thought I aced them but ended up doing badly.

hate being a failure

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 pm

lsatnewb wrote:But what if I get a 150s again?

Worst case scenario. I was unsure of like 15 LR questions... and maybe I got the ones I felt confident about wrong... so I can possibly do really bad!!!

Would 151, 150s, 170+ look better than 151, (cancel), 170+? I've taken tests in colelge where I thought I aced them but ended up doing badly.

hate being a failure

You're not a failure. Stop with the hysterics. It's a standardized test. Let your score ride out and retake if necessary.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm

lsatnewb wrote:But what if I get a 150s again?

hate being a failure

They both look the same. All that matters is your high score and you should keep retaking until you hit your average. Stop panicking.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”