Please help: cancel or not?

paperrev
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Please help: cancel or not?

Postby paperrev » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 am

I took the October test yesterday and am still numb over how bad I choked. This is my second time around (cancelled in June cuz I was sick) and I was honestly just so ashamed and depressed over my performance that I didn't leave my room at all yesterday. Anyway, now that I can somewhat pick myself up a bit, I need some serious advice on what I should do about my score.

I'm shooting for HYS / CCN. But now with my LSAT performance, I'm not even sure if that is still an option for me. I was wondering, of the following, which would look better to admissions:

June (Cancel) - October (150-165) - December (167-170)

OR

June (Cancel) - October (Cancel) - December (167-170)

I have no idea how well/bad I did on the test, so I'm going to assume it falls in the 150-165 range. And for December, though I obviously hope to do better, that score range is just in case I semi-choke again. Also, I feel if I get 170+, it doesn't really matter if I cancel or leave my score anyway (or does it??!!). What should I do? Please help, the thought that I blew my chances at my dream schools is stressing me out and I need some kind of plan to at least my piece myself together again...

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 am

1) Relax. It's going to be ok.

2) That's a pretty big range, so could you provide us with more info about your October performance so we can make better judgments?

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby BentleyLittle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 am

I do not think you should cancel given that there seems to be a consensus that schools will take your highest score. That way you can review your exam and see if your mistakes were related to a weakness area you may have or perhaps the result of test-day nerves.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby haus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 am

BentleyLittle wrote:I do not think you should cancel given that there seems to be a consensus that schools will take your highest score. That way you can review your exam and see if your mistakes were related to a weakness area you may have or perhaps the result of test-day nerves.

This seems to be solid advice,.

paperrev
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby paperrev » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:48 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:2) That's a pretty big range, so could you provide us with more info about your October performance so we can make better judgments?


Yeah, I know.. It's just that I actually have NO idea how well/bad I did, so I'm kinda assuming the worst. Even during PT's, on tests that I thought I'd do poorly, I'd do great (like 178 was the highest I got), and then on tests that I thought I did really well, I'd get a really low score. So I really have no idea what I scored. The only reason I know I bombed was that during PT's, I would always have at least a couple of minutes to go back, check my work, and fill in my answer sheet. Yesterday, I was rushed on every single section (even Games, which I usually finish with like 7 minutes to spare). So... yeah, not feeling good at all about my score chances :(

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby midwest17 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:52 pm

paperrev wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:2) That's a pretty big range, so could you provide us with more info about your October performance so we can make better judgments?


Yeah, I know.. It's just that I actually have NO idea how well/bad I did, so I'm kinda assuming the worst. Even during PT's, on tests that I thought I'd do poorly, I'd do great (like 178 was the highest I got), and then on tests that I thought I did really well, I'd get a really low score. So I really have no idea what I scored. The only reason I know I bombed was that during PT's, I would always have at least a couple of minutes to go back, check my work, and fill in my answer sheet. Yesterday, I was rushed on every single section (even Games, which I usually finish with like 7 minutes to spare). So... yeah, not feeling good at all about my score chances :(


I definitely wouldn't cancel if I were you. Messing up your timing doesn't necessarily mean you missed questions (unless by "rushed" you mean you were guessing), so it's still possible you got a 170+.

A Parliment of Owls
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:31 pm

midwest17 wrote:
paperrev wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:2) That's a pretty big range, so could you provide us with more info about your October performance so we can make better judgments?


Yeah, I know.. It's just that I actually have NO idea how well/bad I did, so I'm kinda assuming the worst. Even during PT's, on tests that I thought I'd do poorly, I'd do great (like 178 was the highest I got), and then on tests that I thought I did really well, I'd get a really low score. So I really have no idea what I scored. The only reason I know I bombed was that during PT's, I would always have at least a couple of minutes to go back, check my work, and fill in my answer sheet. Yesterday, I was rushed on every single section (even Games, which I usually finish with like 7 minutes to spare). So... yeah, not feeling good at all about my score chances :(


I definitely wouldn't cancel if I were you. Messing up your timing doesn't necessarily mean you missed questions (unless by "rushed" you mean you were guessing), so it's still possible you got a 170+.


+1 I almost canceled a test that I thought I bombed and ended up getting 170+. Ride it out and see, but prepare to retake just in case.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:46 pm

paperrev wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:2) That's a pretty big range, so could you provide us with more info about your October performance so we can make better judgments?


Yeah, I know.. It's just that I actually have NO idea how well/bad I did, so I'm kinda assuming the worst. Even during PT's, on tests that I thought I'd do poorly, I'd do great (like 178 was the highest I got), and then on tests that I thought I did really well, I'd get a really low score. So I really have no idea what I scored. The only reason I know I bombed was that during PT's, I would always have at least a couple of minutes to go back, check my work, and fill in my answer sheet. Yesterday, I was rushed on every single section (even Games, which I usually finish with like 7 minutes to spare). So... yeah, not feeling good at all about my score chances :(

Well, if your only problems were rushing and generally not feeling confident about the test, I'd advise against canceling. You may end up pleasantly surprised with your score. IMO, one should cancel only if there's solid reason to believe she has done poorly, e.g. not finishing sections in time or misbubbling...a hunch is not enough. Remember, you only get three shots over a two-year period.

jmjm
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 am

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby jmjm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Is the 'Writing sample' also cancelled (not released along with the answer sheet) when the score is 'Cancelled'?

The information at LSAC webpage has a terminology that it doesn't appear to explained at the page ('candidate cancel' versus 'statistical cancel'?).

http://lsac.org/jd/lsat/irregularities

Irregularity Code or Test Circumstance Item Response Report Item Response Report Information Answer Sheet Disclosure Book Conversion Table Writing Sample
Score validity review No No No No No No
Security cancel Yes
(cancellation) Yes No No No No
Absent No No No No No No
Candidate cancel Yes
(cancellation; credited responses only) Yes No Yes No No
LSAC cancel Yes
(cancellation) Yes No No No No
Security hold No No No No No No
Temporarily on hold No No No No No No
Accommodated test Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Other test center violations Yes (cancellation) Yes No No No No
Possession of prohibited electronic device Yes (cancellation) Yes No No No No
Statistical Cancel Yes (cancellation) Yes No No No No

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Please help: cancel or not?

Postby midwest17 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:19 pm

The common-sense reading of that page is that if you cancel it's a "candidate cancel", and that in that circumstance, the writing sample is not sent to schools.

If you're at all concerned about that, just call LSAC and ask them.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: batlaw, BobBoblaw, chichi1992, curry1, dianersg, judill, LobLaw_LawFirm, mathis1490, mrgstephe and 8 guests