Writing Sample -- Finished with tons of time to spare

esther0123

Writing Sample -- Finished with tons of time to spare

Postby esther0123 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:11 am

Hello,

I know the general consensus is that writing samples are not as important as the scored section, but I'm becoming ever more neurotic after finishing October's test that I finished my WS in 15 minutes. I did end up using about 1.5 pages, single spaced (all of 1st page, and half of second page), but many people kept writing until the last minute. I do tend to write fast, but my argument was definitely not my best, but it was passable... I answered the questions, made my case, countered arguments... but certainly it was sloppier than my usual essays. Has anyone had experience zooming through WS and not having had it affect their application negatively?

Thanks, Oh man, I'm so neurotic...

Jeffort

Re: Writing Sample -- Finished with tons of time to spare

Postby Jeffort » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:43 am

esther0123 wrote:
Oh man, I'm so neurotic...

Chill, you are fine as long as you addressed the topic somewhat legibly. Law schools don't carefully scrutinize peoples WSs, at most they'll check to see if you addressed the topic and followed the instructions decently well to make sure there are no red flags with applicants basic writing abilities and ability to follow basic instructions.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 am

I wouldn't sweat the writing sample at all. I wrote until the very last minute and until the last line for the June test, but today I was done in 15 minutes and literally spent the last 20 minutes of the section writing bad haikus on my scratch paper. You're totally fine.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:21 am

It wasn't tough to write about. I wouldn't sweat it. I went to the restroom when it started, wrote up 2 pages, then went to the restroom again. A few people were still writing at the 5 minute mark, but not many.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:23 am

It doesn't matter.

My handwriting was completely illegible.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:29 pm

My writing samples got poorer and shorter with each of my PTs. I only wrote 3,5 short paragraphs for it and am not concerned. I was pretty dazed after finishing 5th section.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:46 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:My writing samples got poorer and shorter with each of my PTs. I only wrote 3,5 short paragraphs for it and am not concerned. I was pretty dazed after finishing 5th section.

Your PT'd with a writing sample?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I finished with about 20 minutes left but managed to fill up the entire writing space. I actually liked the topic and enjoyed writing about it.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:My writing samples got poorer and shorter with each of my PTs. I only wrote 3,5 short paragraphs for it and am not concerned. I was pretty dazed after finishing 5th section.

Your PT'd with a writing sample?

Oh God no. I meant to say each of my three takes.

Thethoughtcounts176

Postby Thethoughtcounts176 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Don't worry about the writing sample. You'll be fine.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Ha, you spent about ten minutes more than I did

Nightingale

Postby Nightingale » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Jeffort wrote:
esther0123 wrote:
Oh man, I'm so neurotic...

Chill, you are fine as long as you addressed the topic somewhat legibly. Law schools don't carefully scrutinize peoples WSs, at most they'll check to see if you addressed the topic and followed the instructions decently well to make sure there are no red flags with applicants basic writing abilities and ability to follow basic instructions.

You are completely fine. I only wrote a page and definitely did more than enough.

ButlerMan

Postby ButlerMan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't think anyone particularly cares as long as you come across as a well- adjusted member of society. I spent 15 minutes making my point, 5 minutes calculating my best and worst case scores on the scratch paper, and 15 minutes drawing stick figures.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”