Outcomes of reporting problems at test center

A Parliment of Owls

Outcomes of reporting problems at test center

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I had a person with (what I believe was) mild cerebral palsy sitting one spot from me. The test administrators tried to and him as far from other people as they could (which happened to be right near me) but during the first three sections he kept involuntarily scraping his feet on the floor and making tapping noises etc. It was very distracting and definitely affected my performance.

During the break I reported the problem to the test administrator and got moved to a table further away from him and did much better on the second two sections.

I'm still hopeful that I did well and don't want to cancel and not see my score. Does anyone know if there's a chance LSAC will let me get the score and then appeal to have it scrubbed? I know I can write them a letter, blah blah blah, but is the outcome I'm looking for even on the table?

Also, farkkghhhh

TL DR: Will LSAC let me see my score and then allow me to redact it if I so chose based on a test-center problem?

Nonconsecutive

Re: Outcomes of reporting problems at test center

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Nope, it has to be received within six days of the test being administered. I don't believe there is any way to "appeal" after those six days have passed.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Just got back from the test today, so the six days haven't passed.

Hence my question. If I appeal to them is there any chance of them letting me see my score and then letting me choose if I want to keep or cancel it.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:24 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:Just got back from the test today, so the six days haven't passed.

Hence my question. If I appeal to them is there any chance of them letting me see my score and then letting me choose if I want to keep or cancel it.

No. Your score will come out much later than 6 days from now. The most they offer is a free re-take.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:35 pm

The most they offer is a free re-take.[/quote]

That is the part I'm interested in -- If they offer a retake does that just mean I can take it in December for free? I'd really rather get apps done before then.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:36 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:
That is the part I'm interested in -- If they offer a retake does that just mean I can take it in December for free? I'd really rather get apps done before then.

Yes. They let you retake it during the next administration but you never get to see your score from this time. However, I'm not sure your complaint rises to even that level. The underlined is the part you seem to be missing in your OP. Given the timeline, I doubt they even grade it if they invalidate. They probably just pull it from the pile.

While you probably feel like you deserve more, every test center probably has 2-3 challenges (minimum). It would simply be unworkable to allow everyone to check their score or retake at a special session. Your challenge just isn't very special. If it were otherwise, why wouldn't everyone simply challenge, see their score, and then cancel if its bad.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. That's exactly the information I needed (and is what I suspected would be the case).

I'll ride it out and see the score - no point registering a complaint if it's just going to slow things down.

I get that in the big picture of things that can go wrong during an LSAT administration having a CP kid who has spasms isn't ideal but it doesn't scratch the surface of LSAT horror stories.

But after putting in hundreds of hours studying it sucks to have something prevent you from doing your absolute best.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:50 pm

parliament of owls, Sorry to hear about your experience.

If your proctor can verify the facts in your complaint, then I don't see why LSAC wouldn't at least consider it.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:57 pm

I'd just see what the score is and rewrite if you have to. There's always something that goes wrong during administrations, it sucks but it just happens. I had a guy talk to himself the entire time I wrote last.

Maybe for the rewrite practice in a noisier area to help desensitize yourself. It definitely helped me out.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:07 pm

jmjm wrote:parliament of owls, Sorry to hear about your experience.

If your proctor can verify the facts in your complaint, then I don't see why LSAC wouldn't at least consider it.

Thanks Jmjm,

The proctor can verify it and apologized to me for it, but if the best outcome is a free retake in December I'll just let it go and let the chips fall where they may.

Steel - Excellent advice. I've been taking my practice tests in semi-noisy libraries, but man the pressure of taking the actual exam is pretty crushing.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 pm

It may be a judgment call regarding what counts as 'significant extenuating circumstances'. With enough details regarding the proctor name and circumstances this could be something LSAC may consider though reject in the final analysis. Following is an excerpt from lsac webpage that suggests they may be amenable to such requests, although this excerpt is in a different context (i.e. how many times one can take lsat within 2 years).

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat

For significant extenuating circumstances, exceptions to this policy may be made by LSAC. To request an exception, submit a signed, detailed explanation—along with verification, if possible—addressing the circumstances that you feel make you eligible to retake the LSAT and specify the date that you wish to test. E-mail your request as an attachment to LSACinfo@LSAC.org or send it by fax to 215.968.1277.

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 am

If LSAC grants you an exception does your LSAT take still count for the 3 takes in 2 years limit?

I also wrote a request to LSAC because during section 4 a girl got up and was running towards the proctors or bathroom (not really sure what exactly happened) and fainted in the middle of the room. Then 5 minutes into section 5 a fire alarm went off. We didn't have to leave the building but the head proctor stopped the timer and we waited until the fire alarm stopped. Section 5 was RC and I feel like a had to refer back to the passage for smaller details than I would have if I could have done the section straight through.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 am

birdlaw624 wrote:If LSAC grants you an exception does your LSAT take still count for the 3 takes in 2 years limit?

I also wrote a request to LSAC because during section 4 a girl got up and was running towards the proctors or bathroom (not really sure what exactly happened) and fainted in the middle of the room. Then 5 minutes into section 5 a fire alarm went off. We didn't have to leave the building but the head proctor stopped the timer and we waited until the fire alarm stopped. Section 5 was RC and I feel like a had to refer back to the passage for smaller details than I would have if I could have done the section straight through.

birdlaw, we were in the same room! sucked, didn't it??

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:30 pm

ugh I know. I was expecting there would be some distraction but I was thinking it would be something like the person next to me tapping their foot incessantly but definitely not a fainting person and fire alarm

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

birdlaw624 wrote:ugh I know. I was expecting there would be some distraction but I was thinking it would be something like the person next to me tapping their foot incessantly but definitely not a fainting person and fire alarm

are you cancelling? I don't think I am, but I'm most certainly retaking :/

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Marshmallow wrote:
birdlaw624 wrote:ugh I know. I was expecting there would be some distraction but I was thinking it would be something like the person next to me tapping their foot incessantly but definitely not a fainting person and fire alarm

Is your avatar Elle Driver from Kill Bill??

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Marshmallow wrote:

I'm not going to cancel but unless I get a 173, I am going to be retaking as well.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm

altoid99 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:

it's actually Kristen Bell from Veronica Mars :P

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm

altoid99 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:

I think it's Veronica Mars.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”