Having to make-up due to weather. Looking for advice

chmb

Having to make-up due to weather. Looking for advice

Postby chmb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Unfortunately the test center I was going to be taking the October test at today was one of the two that cancelled due to weather. Someone from LSAC tried twice to convince me to re-register for the December test which I really don't want to do since I've put nearly four months of studying into this, am prepared, and want the advantage of being able to apply earlier. I've been told that I'll get to make-up the October test but it may be a couple weeks from now and that I should keep my schedule open because it could be given on very short notice, possibly even during the week.

Anyone have advice on what I should do to try to remain in top LSAT-taking shape and not let these circumstances throw me off or put a dent in the score gains I've made? I've drilled all of the LR, LG, and RC from 1-40 and taken PTs 57-69. Should I just continue taking PTs that I haven't seen in the 50s and then throw in a couple 60s retakes closer to when my make-up date is? Also considering spending more time simply reviewing the fundamentals and possibly ordering the LSAT Trainer for a different perspective as I've heard great things (I've been using the MLSAT and Power Score books in addition to reviewing LG with 7Sage videos up until this point). Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tdensen

Re: Having to make-up due to weather. Looking for advice

Postby tdensen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:34 pm

My test center canceled due to a power outage. It was kind of garbage because they set us up in a different room with enough natural light and began to hand out test books but then people complained because there was no clock in that room. The proctor decided just to cancel it.

Anyway, they could not tell us anything about when it might or might not be rescheduled. I doubt it would be a weekday because everyone would have work or class. I would be in big trouble if it was on a weekday.

I am really bummed. I was -1 TOTAL on my last 3 mixed practice sections. I was ready to kill it today. Now I don't know if I will be able to take it in time for early deadlines.

Does anyone know what happens usually when the test gets canceled? Do they always offer a make up test? What do they curve the make-up tests against? Is it possible to still score at 178-180 or do they just curve the small sample to the mean? Or do they curve it against the different exam that everyone else took?

chmb

Postby chmb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:47 pm

I definitely feel your pain. That's a huge disappointment, especially when you're there and ready to go.

As far as a make-up goes, I spoke with three different representatives from LSAC yesterday and all assured me that a make-up will be given. One spoke about what has happened in the past when tests have been cancelled and calmed some of my fears about possibly missing early deadlines. I'm still feeling pretty disappointed and disadvantaged though.

My understanding is that you'll receive an email (I received mine yesterday evening) telling you that your test was cancelled and that they will follow up with another email regarding make-up options next week. I'm only inferring the possibility of a weekday test because one of the representatives told me to keep in mind that it doesn't have to be on a weekend. I would likewise be in big trouble if it was on a weekday as I've already taken a lot of time off from work to study.

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions about how it'll be curved. Was wondering the same things myself. Also wondering if it'll be 70 or a past February test. I haven't really been able to find much on those subjects yet. My suggestion would be to call their customer service number and ask all the questions you've got. Hang in there!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:21 pm

You just have to wait until LSAC decides what they are going to do and alerts affected test takers about a make-up test date. In the past, make-up tests have been scheduled on a weekend day, but there is no guarantee that is what will happen this time. Check your email frequently and/or check back with LSAC during the week to try to get more info since it takes them a little bit of time to explore options and make a decision. It's a good idea to check frequently and pester them a bit during the week until you hear something definite because for a recent make-up test due to a weather problem on test day, affected students were only given a day or two notice by LSAC via email and some students reported not even getting the email and only knowing because they had called and pestered LSAC for info.

Don't worry about the scale, the LSAT is not curved to the pool of people that take each particular test-form. Since it is a standardized test the conversion scale is predetermined before it is administered from how the sections performed when used as experimentals.

chmb

Postby chmb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Good to know about the recent make-up and the scale clarification. Thank you for the suggestions. Would really not be pleased about a day or two's notice so I'll stay on it. I was starting to get burned out the week prior to the 5th but powered through it and was ready to go. Really feeling the burnout effects and trying to figure out how to combat them without taking much time off. Any suggestions for how to stay in peak performance?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Call your test center every day, and ask if they have rescheduled yet. My Feb test got snowed out. I knew when my makeup test was 4 days before LSAC told anyone. They didn't notify us till the day before the make up, but they will have had to rebook the room at least a few days earlier.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”