I need more consistency with LR any way to lock it down?

MiracleNeeded

I need more consistency with LR any way to lock it down?

Postby MiracleNeeded » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:06 am

I know I'm posting a lot today, but this is a burning question and others have asked it I. Other forums and blogs. I think it would help others. My LRs have been pretty good lately, I just did a PT and got a -1 on the first LR which is my best score ever. Sometimes though I feel that I just destroyed LR and when I score the section I bombed it. Sometimes I feel ok about it and I killed it. So my own feelings of the section don't count for much I'm often way off.

I wish I had a feeling of real control and could say "ok, 2 wrong for sure in this section 1 maybe the rest are perfect. I can pretty much do that with RC and games as well.

I also don't think it's an accident that the closer I get to modern LSATs the better I'm consistently doing on LR. I'm just better at the newer stuff.

Also, doing well on one section and bombing the other. On LSAT 38 I got 23 of 24 on the first LR but 17 of 25 on the second. Granted I just received a phone call from a tenant complaint about an issue and that took my head out of the test a bit, but it's happened before.

tigersaresexy

Re: I need more consistency with LR any way to lock it down?

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:44 am

Usually, one of the LR sections is harder than the other. The problem with LR is that it's difficult to predict how many you got wrong because, well, at least I am pretty confident that I've chosen the correct answer when I answer an LR question.

In my opinion (and this is really just me), LR in the 40s and 50s is the easiest. Around 62, it turns and I went from getting -0, -1 to getting -3, -5. My scores didn't change much, since the curve became more forgiving in recent tests, but it was a off-putting.

What i've been doing that I think is really helpful is for the last month or so of prep, I cut out and kept every single LR question I got wrong, I haven't been reviewing them right away or even noting the right answer. If it's wrong, I cut it out and put it in my pile without even reading it. I re-worked them a week or so later, making sure I understood exactly what I did wrong (Google PT# LR "The first few words of the stimulus" and you'll be able to find a Manhattan LSAT discussion board for every difficult LR question) If I get it wrong on the rework, I put it back in the pile. If I get it right and understand why I did so, I rip it in tiny pieces and throw it up in the air like confetti.

MiracleNeeded

Re: I need more consistency with LR any way to lock it down?

Postby MiracleNeeded » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:09 am

tigersaresexy wrote:Usually, one of the LR sections is harder than the other. The problem with LR is that it's difficult to predict how many you got wrong because, well, at least I am pretty confident that I've chosen the correct answer when I answer an LR question.

In my opinion (and this is really just me), LR in the 40s and 50s is the easiest. Around 62, it turns and I went from getting -0, -1 to getting -3, -5. My scores didn't change much, since the curve became more forgiving in recent tests, but it was a off-putting.

What i've been doing that I think is really helpful is for the last month or so of prep, I cut out and kept every single LR question I got wrong, I haven't been reviewing them right away or even noting the right answer. If it's wrong, I cut it out and put it in my pile without even reading it. I re-worked them a week or so later, making sure I understood exactly what I did wrong (Google PT# LR "The first few words of the stimulus" and you'll be able to find a Manhattan LSAT discussion board for every difficult LR question) If I get it wrong on the rework, I put it back in the pile. If I get it right and understand why I did so, I rip it in tiny pieces and throw it up in the air like confetti.

Thanks for the help, I like that method of cutting out the question.

What you say about difficulty is true for most people I've spoken to. They like older lr more than newer ones. I actually did the pt book in the 60s and was getting -2 -3 and then switched to older tests and started really bombing the section like -10 -15. It sucked then I got better but I've never been the same. I think people are just different. I'm the odd ball who finds newer ones easier, but I guess that's good seeing as I'll be tested not those.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”