if i can only score perfect on games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

if i can only score perfect on games

Post by MiracleNeeded » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 pm

I will be in the mid 170s. Ive already made a post about the 7save method, good but time consuming. Any other methods? I'm guessing doing game after game isn't the best method either. I did that for a while. If I can crack games, which are supposedly the easiest to crack, I can crack this test. Any methods please post.

Jeffort

Gold

Re: if i can only score perfect on games

Post by Jeffort » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 pm

People are going to ask which prep books you've already read and/or then suggest you read certain reputable ones you haven't yet read. They are also going to ask you for details about your current LG performances and which methods other than 7Sage you have tried.

So... ?

ratiller

New

Post by ratiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:45 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:I will be in the mid 170s. Ive already made a post about the 7save method, good but time consuming. Any other methods? I'm guessing doing game after game isn't the best method either. I did that for a while. If I can crack games, which are supposedly the easiest to crack, I can crack this test. Any methods please post.

Game after game can work if you're proactive about identifying what held you up and ways to improve your designs

i went from being over by a few minutes to generally having ~5 minutes left by just forcing my way through a ton of games and fixing anything that took too long

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Velocity, and its not even close.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Clearly wrote:Velocity, and its not even close.
Velocity is the truth. I used their LR stuff the free stuff and it helped Aton. Never tried the games strategies. Dave is a cool guy, I will look into it.

I would prefer not to buy another book, and at $65 it's steep, will his videos have insights? What strategies does he employ? I know how to play the games, i just need an extra push.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:00 am

Jeffort wrote:People are going to ask which prep books you've already read and/or then suggest you read certain reputable ones you haven't yet read. They are also going to ask you for details about your current LG performances and which methods other than 7Sage you have tried.

So... ?
Powers core, blueprint manhattan, plus I've watched the 7sage videos and played a lot of them. Pretty much all I've done.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:31 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:
Jeffort wrote:People are going to ask which prep books you've already read and/or then suggest you read certain reputable ones you haven't yet read. They are also going to ask you for details about your current LG performances and which methods other than 7Sage you have tried.

So... ?
Powers core, blueprint manhattan, plus I've watched the 7sage videos and played a lot of them. Pretty much all I've done.
Ok. You've already learned all the fundamentals and main strategies, so your problem lies in execution under timed conditions. What types of problems/issues are you having that are preventing you from getting -0 on your practice LG sections? The only way to perfect your LG performance is to figure out what is holding you back from perfect sections each time and then figure out how to address and hopefully solve those particular issues.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:53 am

Jeffort wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

So... ?
Ok. You've already learned all the fundamentals and main strategies, so your problem lies in execution under timed conditions. What types of problems/issues are you having that are preventing you from getting -0 on your practice LG sections? The only way to perfect your LG performance is to figure out what is holding you back from perfect sections each time and then figure out how to address and hopefully solve those particular issues.
I can't think of one thing but I can say that I've missed a lot of games, and I mean the whole game based on crappy confusing language of the rules or just convoluted language. I just did PT 38 so we're talking maybe older weirder games (38 has basic games but I think newer ones have tighter language) my linear games are pretty solid I'll maybe miss one based on a dumb mistake. My grouping has improved but I find myself wanting to kick myself when I diagram a rule and never bother to look at it while doing the game and it ends up screwing me. I recently did that with a conditional rule in the dorm game males and females. I could have killed that game, but missed the one conditional rule.

So I guess understanding and effectively diagramming rules and fully grasping the rules when they're made awkwardly. Also missing and forgetting to implement some key rules. When I get my rules solidly I kill grouping games.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:46 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

So... ?
I can't think of one thing but I can say that I've missed a lot of games, and I mean the whole game based on crappy confusing language of the rules or just convoluted language. I just did PT 38 so we're talking maybe older weirder games (38 has basic games but I think newer ones have tighter language) my linear games are pretty solid I'll maybe miss one based on a dumb mistake. My grouping has improved but I find myself wanting to kick myself when I diagram a rule and never bother to look at it while doing the game and it ends up screwing me. I recently did that with a conditional rule in the dorm game males and females. I could have killed that game, but missed the one conditional rule.

So I guess understanding and effectively diagramming rules and fully grasping the rules when they're made awkwardly. Also missing and forgetting to implement some key rules. When I get my rules solidly I kill grouping games.
It's never just one big thing. Your list is the types of stuff I'm talking about that you need to identify and take measures to correct. You fix most of the things you mentioned by changing your test taking habits in ways to prevent the same mistakes from occurring again. Such as by always including a rule verification step where you re-read all the printed rules again and compare them to your diagrams while building the set-up in order to make sure you didn't mis-diagram something. You have to add steps like that into your routine and train yourself to do them every time with every game no matter what until they become habit. That is how you fix this stuff. Make lists of each of your particular mistakes/weaknesses on each section, analyze how to prevent/fix each one, make tactical adjustments and also remind yourself to be more cognizant about doing and not doing certain things, practice, find more mistakes, repeat the process, etc.

It's all about creating systematic test taking habits for working LG sections to get rid of performance issues/failings due to mistakes like the ones you described. Forgetting to use rules is easily fixable by training in a new habit to re-scan your list of rules at least once while working each hypo/per question or something similar as soon as you fail to see the next step and don't have the answer yet. It's kinda simple. You get stuck on a question and your analysis so far doesn't get you to an answer, hmm, you might be forgetting something, instantly re-read the rules instead of staring at the page for another 15 seconds guessing at things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”