Is this "too much" for blind reviewing?

WaltGrace83

Is this "too much" for blind reviewing?

Postby WaltGrace83 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:27 pm

I asked this in the June 2014 thread but I thought I'd post it here to get some experienced thought on this question. I am drilling the Cambridge packets right now and I am taking 25 questions and trying to do them all in 35 minutes. Then I blind review. However, when I blind review, it is a long and labor-intense process, taking about 10 (sometimes even 15) minutes per question to really go through my thought process and figure out the nuts and bolts of the question. I have lots of time until June obviously but I wanted to ask you guys if I am doing too much to the point where I won't see any benefit in doing this. Here is a snapshot of what I do:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/nbg5.png/

Duchess14

Re: Is this "too much" for blind reviewing?

Postby Duchess14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm a 0L prepping for either Feb or June so you can wait for more experienced TLSer's to weigh in, but I will say this is a lot more detailed than what I do / what my understanding of blind reviewing is.

I go through this process mentally only making notes on something that is, well, noteworthy-- something that wasn't obvious to me the first time, something that caught me up. If it was an answer choice I immediately eliminated for the correct reason I don't take the time to write my thought process out.

neprep

Postby neprep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:I asked this in the June 2014 thread but I thought I'd post it here to get some experienced thought on this question. I am drilling the Cambridge packets right now and I am taking 25 questions and trying to do them all in 35 minutes. Then I blind review. However, when I blind review, it is a long and labor-intense process, taking about 10 (sometimes even 15) minutes per question to really go through my thought process and figure out the nuts and bolts of the question. I have lots of time until June obviously but I wanted to ask you guys if I am doing too much to the point where I won't see any benefit in doing this. Here is a snapshot of what I do:

I don't think what you've linked to is overkill at all: Some people will go through the same process for a question, just not write it down as you have.

One reason I think this work seems more tedious to you than it really ought to be is that you're making your own 25-question sets and trying to do them in 35 minutes, but really this is absolutely unrepresentative of how you will perform on an actual 25-question section carefully assembled for a test form. You can't do 25 level-3 questions, or level-4 questions, and you can't really even distribute it across levels and expect it to be a realistic simulation of an actual section. "Blind reviewing" will usually apply to PTing, not drilling. When you're drilling, why don't you take as much time as you need per question, and do it in blocks of 10 instead of 25? I think that will help when you start thinking your methods are getting to be "too much."

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:50 pm

I occasionally spent upwards of 30-40 minutes trying to understand a question a while back. And I've spent upwards of an hour trying to understand how LG works when I began.

There's nothing wrong with this. In fact, that's the only way you're supposed to blind review.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

"Too much" is, obviously, subjective. For me, that is too much. I never wrote out explanations that long. I thought my time was better spent on other study methods.

However, that does not mean it's not effective FOR YOU. You have to find what works, what makes you improve and what will get you to a 180

Postby 10052014 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:21 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:its never too much when it comes to the lsat.

Nah, burnout is real.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I circle specific verbage in the answer choices to indicate why they are wrong. If any answer choice looks temping, I label it as AA (Attractive answer) even if I know I've already selected the correct answer. I do this because when I go back over it I see how they constructed the AA, so I won't get caught by the technique they used in the future.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:I asked this in the June 2014 thread but I thought I'd post it here to get some experienced thought on this question. I am drilling the Cambridge packets right now and I am taking 25 questions and trying to do them all in 35 minutes. Then I blind review. However, when I blind review, it is a long and labor-intense process, taking about 10 (sometimes even 15) minutes per question to really go through my thought process and figure out the nuts and bolts of the question. I have lots of time until June obviously but I wanted to ask you guys if I am doing too much to the point where I won't see any benefit in doing this. Here is a snapshot of what I do:

I think the most important principle is to learn the test and become familiar with it. This sounds base, but once you learn the patterns of the LSAT especially LG and LR they begin to become second nature. This seems to be your way of doing this-- internalizing the LSAT--you will probably notice that the time you spend doing this will begin to decrease exponentially as your knowledge and skills increase.

Nice John Mayer avi btw! 8)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”