How do you approach principle LR questions?

tuffyjohnson

How do you approach principle LR questions?

Postby tuffyjohnson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Manhattan LR was awesome, but honestly I think I need a more succinct approach. Especially for Principle (my worst type).

Can anyone provide a quick system for how they attack Principle or inference LR questions? Feel free to also show how you attack other types too.

Types:

Assumption
Resolve Paradox
Method of Reasoning
Principle
Identify Conclusion
Main Point
Last edited by tuffyjohnson on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crestor

Re: How do you approach principle LR questions?

Postby crestor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 pm

tagged

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:42 pm

I don't really have a strict process for these. For the mosts part, I just get a handle on the stimulus and then look at the answer choices to see which one matches up the best. One tip I have is to look for conditional reasoning and try to match that conditional reasoning, much like you would in a Parallel Reasoning question.

For example, say you are asked for a principle to justify an argument that says "The jury considered evidence that was obtained illegitimately in deciding the defendant was guilty of murder, therefore the trial can be appealed." In this case, you are looking for a principle that would say that considering illegitimate evidence in a conviction would be sufficient to support an appeal.

The answer choice might look like "any time a legal proceeding takes into account evidence obtained by dubious means the defendant has a right to appeal the results of the trial."

An incorrect answer choice might reverse the reasoning, saying "a defendant can only appeal a trial if evidence was obtained illegitimately."

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:45 pm

These Principle questions typically fall under other categories. I use to treat Principle questions as if they were there own category but they actually are just a slight modification of other types of LR questions.

for ex: Which of the principles most justifys Jim argument

basically strengthen and would approach question as such

ex: Which of the following principles most conforms to the above statements?

Must be true question

I use to treat these questions differently but after reviewing them, I realized that they are basically the same and not their own unique category of LR questions.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:47 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:These Principle questions typically fall under other categories. I use to treat Principle questions as if they were there own category but they actually are just a slight modification of other types of LR questions.

for ex: Which of the principles most justifys Jim argument

basically strengthen and would approach question as such

ex: Which of the following principles most conforms to the above statements?

Must be true question

I use to treat these questions differently but after reviewing them, I realized that they are basically the same and not their own unique category of LR questions.

How would you classify the main types then? Assumption, parallel, etc.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:06 pm

For principle support you look for the gap like a NA question.

For principle identify you need to examine the stimulus like you would a parallel reasoning question.

HTH

susanqr91

Postby susanqr91 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:16 pm

I've seen principle questions come in all types: MBT, Strengthen, Weaken (rare I think), Parallel, Necessary, Sufficient. I think they can make a principle question for almost every category, and from what my teacher says, they're showing up more and more on the tests.

I agree with A. Taarabt that you should approach each one the same as the category they fall under. I think the important thing is recognizing the category when you read the prompt.
Some of the confusing ones:
-If the prompt asks you to identify the underlying principle in the stimulus: Necessary

-If the prompt asks you for a set of events/facts that most conform to the principle in the stimulus: MBT

-If it asks you which one of the answers the STIMULUS conforms to: Strengthen.

Every other one is pretty obvious in it's language (parallel will say "illustrates a principle most similar to," sufficient will say "must be assumed to draw the conclusion" etc).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”