Mindset for LSAT

MikeSpivey

Mindset for LSAT

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:59 am

I thought I'd share some words of encouragement for everyone going into the LSAT in a few days:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/oct-5t ... conquered/

I certainly can't promise this will help everyone, but I've given similar advice over the past few years to people on the phone and in person and it has helped some.

I realize that this is all easier said than done but I hope the article, if nothing else, shows that you are worst case in the same boat as everyone else and that there is no downside to taking the LSAT -- only good can come from it.

Good luck everyone!

Mike

Marshmallow

Re: Mindset for LSAT

Postby Marshmallow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks, Mike. I'm printing this out and reading it right before checking in on Oct. 5 :)

Hoping4Happiness

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I wish I could say the right thing to entirely impart to everyone just how true it is that only one score counts and that is the high score. I realize I can't entirely but to echo this and the blog post, I did have lunch today with the dean of an elite law school who said basically the same thing -- there is no downside. Go on there and flatten that quiz and, if not, no harm no foul (I realize there has been a time and money commitment). Hopefully knowing this will give a degree of confidence and maybe even a ++ score.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Mike, thanks for the inspiring words! My favorite portion of your blog post was, "Let’s summarize. For starters, the overwhelming majority of individuals who took this test in the past — in the history of the LSAT — envy you today. They envy you because in the past LSAT scores were averaged, and they envy you because this is a really good year to take it in a diminished pool. Even more significantly, the Oct 5th LSAT can only help you. It can not hurt you. Even if this is the last time you can take it this cycle it can only help. All this test is, then, is an opportunity. There is zero percent chance for harm, so have at it! "

This really pumped me up.

SupCutie

Postby SupCutie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 pm

This is my last take and where I get into school is highly dependent on what I score because I did nothing in college but study and booze it (neither is a credible soft factor unfortunately). Thanks for the extra panic :oops:

haus

Postby haus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 pm

SupCutie wrote:This is my last take and where I get into school is highly dependent on what I score because I did nothing in college but study and booze it (neither is a credible soft factor unfortunately). Thanks for the extra panic :oops:

Yes, but you have been down this road before, you have seen the elephant. There is no reason to to let that scantron shake you.

Happy Hunting,

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks Mike! Going to print this out and read it the morning of as well.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks Mike, just what I needed to read.

Can you bring it home for us anxious over-achievers and tell us if Karen agrees if "only your highest score matters" is true for H?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:53 pm

I Used to Be a Spy wrote:Thanks Mike, just what I needed to read.

Can you bring it home for us anxious over-achievers and tell us if Karen agrees if "only your highest score matters" is true for H?

Yes -- but with a very few exceptions e.g. if you took it 10 times.

haus

Postby haus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:03 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
I Used to Be a Spy wrote:Thanks Mike, just what I needed to read.

Yes -- but with a very few exceptions e.g. if you took it 10 times.

Wow, ten times. Perhaps they should offer one of those sandwich club cards. 10th time is free, plus you get to wear the pirate hat through the exam.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks Mike! That makes me feel much better about my third attempt. Now I just have to watch out for bears.

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:19 pm

who takes the lsat 10 times other than robin singh and dave hall and other guys that are trying to sell material? this has to be a VERY small sample. after the 3rd OFFICIAL test you think you would realize for the 95% of people not like singh and hall....

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Did it help at all? I should do a survey monkey about this and link here I'm actually very curious.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Does "only your high score matters" apply equally to situations where you go down on your second or third take? A, uh, friend of a friend already has two pretty solid scores but wants to try taking again in December.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

Mike, I don't know if it was your advice (which I indeed printed out and brought with me to read before checking in) but I walked into that test feeling cool as a cucumber and more prepared than anyone else, which was certainly not the case in June! Sections 1-4 went well, but alas, someone passed out in front of me in the first few minutes of 5, and then the fire alarm went off... but before that, everything was so great!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”