Burnout NOW?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
susanqr91

New

Burnout NOW??

Post by susanqr91 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi all, I know LSAT burnout has been discussed at length, but the timing of mine is rather inconvenient. I've been sick for the past 2 days (studying just as much though) and I took a PE this morning. My score dipped 4 points! While I know that doesn't sound too bad, I'm in the high 160/low 170 range, so they make a HUGE difference.

I noticed most of my mistakes are careless oversights/misreadings that I never use to do, which leads me to believe it's burnout v. my sickness. But with the LSAT so close, I'm not sure what to do? Take the rest of the week off? Study very lightly up until the day before the test? Obviously there's no right answer, but what would you do in my case?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Burnout NOW??

Post by Nova » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 pm

chalk it up as a bad day and take it easy if you feel burnt out.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm

I wouldn't sweat it. You are probably burnt out, and it sounds like you are sick too. I don't think anyone feels burnt out on test day, we're all too nervous to be tired of it. You just had a bad test. It happens. After the worst test I had, I came back with my highest score. Don't freak out, do drills if you need a confidence boost, but don't worry otherwise.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I would say definitely give yourself some sort of break for the last couple days. Have you noticed any increase/decrease in the past after taking a few days easy or off completely? The reason I ask is because if before you have taken a couple day break and returned to a normal (or better) PT score then there is no harm in doing so.

The first time I took a break that was over a day was unintentional and forced by me leaving school related studies to the last minute. I had always tried to give myself a day break every week because I read it was the thing to do but never really felt that burnt out. After essentially a 5-6 day break in which at most I studied for an hour on LSAT stuff on a couple of those days, I came back and PT'd 4 points higher and finally broke into the upper 170s and have been able to stay there so far. The fact that you aren't feeling too well physically also points to a break being beneficial. There is no denying the fact that physical and mental condition are correlated. So if you are just trying to mentally power through the sickness and stressing it is likely to make you feel even worse.

Take this all with a grain of salt because this is just based on how my body and mind work and obviously everyone is different.

ioannisk

New

Post by ioannisk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

how much studying you do per day?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rollontheground

New

Post by Rollontheground » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 pm

God. I'm doing the same thing. My past 6 tests have been between 173 and 162. Let's hope we're on the upside of this shit come Saturday.

susanqr91

New

Post by susanqr91 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:49 am

It varies, I do anywhere from 2 to 6 or 7 hours. Probably an average of 4 or 5. I thought taking some days easy would prevent burnout butttt guess not.

Thanks for the replies guys, they really help an over thinker like me. Good luck rollontheground, I'm hoping the game day mentality will keep us on the upper end of our scores!

ioannisk

New

Post by ioannisk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 am

you study 2 to 7 hours a DAY?
Do you have a job?

susanqr91

New

Post by susanqr91 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm

@ioannisk, yeah I do, but I'm extremely lucky with my hours (I always get out by 3), and my parents are helping me out so I can work a little less. It's a blessing, I admire all of you who are balancing this AND a full time job/undergrad!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:35 pm

I would take it easy. Take today off. Do some games (or your fave section) on Thursday and Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”