Oct LSAT and a pinched nerve

crg0097

Oct LSAT and a pinched nerve

Postby crg0097 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 pm

I've been studying like a mad (wo)man for the past two months for the upcoming October LSAT. Three days ago, I developed a pinched nerve in my writing shoulder and it's having a profound effect on my PT scores. I've gone to the doctor and they've given me pain killers and told me the pinched nerve would eventually go away on its own. (Could be a few days, or a few weeks.) They gave me pain killers but it's useless because I need a clear mind to study. I've scheduled an appointment with a chiropractor but he doesn't believe my pinched nerve will be resolved in less than a week.

Should I cancel the October LSAT and take it in December?

My LSAC GPA is a 4.0. The main schools I'm applying to are Emory, Georgia State, and University of Georgia. I am hopeful for a competitive LSAT score because I need scholarship money. Will delaying the LSAT to December decrease my chance for scholarship offers? Will it hurt my scholarship chances if I take the October test and get an embarrassingly low score (and then retake in December)?

Thank you in advice for you advice; it's very much appreciated!

JWP1022

Re: Oct LSAT and a pinched nerve

Postby JWP1022 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 pm

If you have a 4.0, aim higher than Emory and UGA. Cancel and get yourself in the high 160s or 170s. The pinched nerve might be a blessing in disguise if it gets you more time to prepare and get a better score.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Most people on here say that applying in December is becoming less and less detrimental, ESPECIALLY if you get a 170+ and especially in the case of the schools you are applying to. However (and take this with a grain of salt), depending on just how bad your PT scores have been you might want to try the Oct LSAT anyway just to get some experience. Maybe someone with actual experience rather than just surfing these boards for years could elaborate however since you have no interest in the T14 (or do you?), it seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal even if the worst happened and you PT'd under your potential.

Seriously though, with a 4.0 why are you looking at those schools? Do you want to stay in Georgia?

Postby 10052014 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

crg0097

Postby crg0097 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:06 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:Most people on here say that applying in December is becoming less and less detrimental, ESPECIALLY if you get a 170+ and especially in the case of the schools you are applying to. However (and take this with a grain of salt), depending on just how bad your PT scores have been you might want to try the Oct LSAT anyway just to get some experience. Maybe someone with actual experience rather than just surfing these boards for years could elaborate however since you have no interest in the T14 (or do you?), it seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal even if the worst happened and you PT'd under your potential.

Seriously though, with a 4.0 why are you looking at those schools? Do you want to stay in Georgia?

this

'Tis the burden of being a married woman.

I do plan to apply to a few 'dream schools' for the hell of it, but I am geographically limited to the Atlanta area. I'm from California, did my undergrad in Texas and got married in May. My husband received an amazing job opportunity in good ol' Georgia. His line of work is competitive and jobs are extremely limited. He hopes to stay in the area long-term. That means I will likely practice in the Atlanta region... so, it makes sense to go to school here! I've been coming to terms with this reality for the past few months; it's certainly a game changer.

As nice as it would be to attend a T14, my main concerns are getting a solid J.D. and taking on as little debt possible. I'm a scholarship junkie. My husband is nice enough to let me do nothing but study full-time until I take the LSAT (be it October or December).

This pinched nerve is causing my PT scores to drop over 10 points. It's embarrassing...

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 pm

crg0097 wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:Most people on here say that applying in December is becoming less and less detrimental, ESPECIALLY if you get a 170+ and especially in the case of the schools you are applying to. However (and take this with a grain of salt), depending on just how bad your PT scores have been you might want to try the Oct LSAT anyway just to get some experience. Maybe someone with actual experience rather than just surfing these boards for years could elaborate however since you have no interest in the T14 (or do you?), it seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal even if the worst happened and you PT'd under your potential.

this

I do plan to apply to a few 'dream schools' for the hell of it, but I am geographically limited to the Atlanta area. I'm from California, did my undergrad in Texas and got married in May. My husband received an amazing job opportunity in good ol' Georgia. His line of work is competitive and jobs are extremely limited. He hopes to stay in the area long-term. That means I will likely practice in the Atlanta region... so, it makes sense to go to school here! I've been coming to terms with this reality for the past few months; it's certainly a game changer.

As nice as it would be to attend a T14, my main concerns are getting a solid J.D. and taking on as little debt possible. I'm a scholarship junkie. My husband is nice enough to let me do nothing but study full-time until I take the LSAT (be it October or December).

This pinched nerve is causing my PT scores to drop over 10 points. It's embarrassing...

Totally understandable. If the pinched nerve heals up a bit before test day, I'd take it and see what happens. I imagine there will be enough adrenaline on test day that it shouldn't bother you as much. Then retake in December should you want to add a few points.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:32 pm

crg0097 wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:

this

There's nothing wrong with knowing you want to work in a smaller market and going to a regional school with a large scholarship offer.

As far as the test goes, painkillers or pain being your two options, I'd probably postpone. You can make that decision the day before the exam, but if you're 10 points lower from the pain, you shouldn't be taking the test. There's no reason to go in thinking the adrenaline will completely eliminate the pain, as it probably won't for an entire 5 hours.

crg0097

Postby crg0097 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:20 pm

BP -- thank you.

I am going to decide the day before the test whether or not to cancel, but I'm anticipating I'll be out of commission. I suppose it's a blessing in disguise... I'll probably use the extra time to sign up for a prep course so I can boost my score for that scholarship $$$. I attribute the pinched nerve to my frustrated over-practice of logic games. I'll probably feel better about the test after I learn to pwn that section.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”