double layer sequencing games

elg

double layer sequencing games

Postby elg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:45 am

cant seem to figure out which items should on top and which should be matched to them when there are 2 sets of entities. Any tips for this? Does looking at the acceptability set up usually work?

JackSparrow

Re: double layer sequencing games

Postby JackSparrow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:52 am

shouldn't really matter as long as you keep one set on the top and the other set on the bottom. For instance: there are 3 teachers j,k &l, each will teach one of either math, history, or science. each will teach her class on one of monday wed or fri....

you have: JKL: _ _ _
MHS: _ _ _
or the other way. What you cannot do, is have mixed groups like MJS: _ _ _. If you put teachers up top, keep them all up top and vice versa.

HTH

elg

Postby elg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:53 am

I have found that some games are much easier set up one way than the other. Is this just a matter of getting lucky with the set up then?

JackSparrow

Postby JackSparrow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:05 pm

I think the idea of "easier" is a mind trick you're playing on yourself. Think about it this way. In the example I gave you above, if M cannot be on the 3rd day, you should put an crossed out M Below space 3 or above space 3 depending on where you group that category.

The approach you take should be the same either way. Now visually you may have a preference (I do) as to which you put on the bottom. I feel generally I will place people/names on the bottom, and inanimate things like subjects, etc up top.

If you have a specific example of one you found to be easier a certain way, let me know and I'll take a look. This is just generally speaking, as always, there could be exceptions.

JackSparrow

Postby JackSparrow » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:45 pm

PT64 G3 seems like it may be one where it's easier to set up a specific way, but can still be solved either way. Guess it just depends on your personal preference, but not something I'd spend too much time thinking about.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:48 pm

JackSparrow wrote:PT64 G3 seems like it may be one where it's easier to set up a specific way, but can still be solved either way. Guess it just depends on your personal preference, but not something I'd spend too much time thinking about.

Bikes isn't really a sequencing game.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:49 pm

JWP1022 wrote:
JackSparrow wrote:PT64 G3 seems like it may be one where it's easier to set up a specific way, but can still be solved either way. Guess it just depends on your personal preference, but not something I'd spend too much time thinking about.

Bikes isn't really a sequencing game.

True. Even though the game has a "first day" and a "second day", none of the rules or questions have "before/after"-type sequencing components to them. You could have replaced "on the first day" with "at the Dallas test center" and "on the second day" with "at the Fort Worth test center" and the game would have been exactly the same without any time component at all.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

JackSparrow wrote:I think the idea of "easier" is a mind trick you're playing on yourself.

Exactly this, though there's no reason to fight against the way your brain wants to work. Most people will view the bottom tier as more important, but you should try to figure out which one carries more weight to your brain - if it's the top one, then switch all of my "bottoms" to "tops" in the following advice.

For me, if there's a repeating variable set (red, green, yellow; with some colors showing up more than once), and another variable set that doesn't repeat, I put the non-repeating set on the bottom.

If both sets repeat, then I put the variable set that shows up in the most rules as the bottom set.

The one exception is if I have a non-repeating and repeating set, but the repeating set shows up in more rules. Then, I put that one on the bottom.

Another important thing - if it gives you an ordering principle (P is earlier than V), then make sure to write that out with the second tier information in it, if possible. This will make deductions both up front and during the questions a LOT easier than trying to cross-check each time it comes up.

JackSparrow

Postby JackSparrow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Bikes def isn't sequencing, but my set up was similar to the way you'd set up a double layered sequencing game, so I thought it was relevant. I know that a lot of people found it helpful to establish the game a certain way because one of the rules lends to an "easier" set up.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 am

JackSparrow wrote:Bikes def isn't sequencing, but my set up was similar to the way you'd set up a double layered sequencing game, so I thought it was relevant. I know that a lot of people found it helpful to establish the game a certain way because one of the rules lends to an "easier" set up.

It makes for an 'easier' set-up when you choose the base that is better suited to organizing the information in ways so the various different logical relationships are visually apparent in the diagram, such as the order of a sequence allows you to graphically represent sequencing relationships in terms of left to right visual relationships within the base, etc.

That's what 'easier' is all about, better organization of the information to help visually illustrate the relationships.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”