Conditional Reasoning PARAGRAPHS HELP!

KLieberman

Conditional Reasoning PARAGRAPHS HELP!

Postby KLieberman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am

Ok I have read and studied Chapter 6 in The LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible several times. I also read and studied the "Lesson in Conditional Reasoning" posted on here. After reviewing them several times I finally have a grasp on the sufficient and necessary conditions and can create diagrams for one sentence examples easily. HOWEVER~ then they jump to these paragraphs and I am completely LOST! I look for and find the modifiers and the identifying terms and yet I am still not making the connection with all the other information and sentences in the paragraphs. Even when I break it down into Premise 1, Premise 2.... I am just missing the link that will allow this to all make sense to me. Does anyone have any advise???? I feel so good about myself when I'm going through the one-liners and then I get to the Sufficient and Necessary Problem Set Questions and I get one out of the 6 right and it is really starting to aggravate me. I've looked for other step-by-step tutorials but they all do the SAME THING... they go over and over and dissect the one-liners and then jump to the full-of-information paragraph questions. What am I missing?

magickware

Re: Conditional Reasoning PARAGRAPHS HELP!

Postby magickware » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 am

I had the same issue when I started studying, and I really had no idea what to do, especially since there's no real set number of words that can be used.

But doing the two following things help, a lot-

1) Do a lot of LR questions and review them extensively via http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/ or anywhere else where you can get help on questions. At a certain point you'll start to figure out words that point to conditional logic.

2) Understand that words that tend to denote something sufficient and something necessary will correspond to the appropriate parts of the "if" "then" conditionals. It's not exactly rocket science; we're just not used to looking at it in that fashion, and you need to get used to it.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:25 am

magickware wrote:I had the same issue when I started studying, and I really had no idea what to do, especially since there's no real set number of words that can be used.

But doing the two following things help, a lot-

1) Do a lot of LR questions and review them extensively via http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/ or anywhere else where you can get help on questions. At a certain point you'll start to figure out words that point to conditional logic.

2) Understand that words that tend to denote something sufficient and something necessary will correspond to the appropriate parts of the "if" "then" conditionals. It's not exactly rocket science; we're just not used to looking at it in that fashion, and you need to get used to it.

^ I agree. I look at 2 solution manuals. Kaplans and MLSAT.

From my own experiences, I have found that if the question is a formal logic question (generally, these are just facts and don't contain a conclusion) the answer will be something that must be true and can be inferred from the stimulus. So with practice you'll learn to quickly figure out what you do know for sure (what must be true or absolutely cannot be true) and what you don't (what could be true or could not be true).

Another thing I've noticed in LR is that a lot of times the answer will "bridge the gap" between or be the conclusion of two ideas.

^ I honestly feel like I copied that straight from the LR Bible... :roll: but I didn't and it's spot on.

P.M. me if you want me to send you my notes on the topic.

Lastly, practice, practice, PRACTICE! It will start to become obvious. I promise you on that. I started at 139. I'm PTing in the upper 160s now. Practice.

KLieberman

Postby KLieberman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks you guys~ I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will stick with it and order the workbook for more questions to practice with!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”