Test Day Tips From Retakers

Jeffort

Re: Test Day Tips From Retakers

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 pm

The key during the wait time is simply distraction. Since it's pretty hard to turn off or calm your mind into a zen like state while waiting in line right before the test, to keep it from obsessively thinking about stress producing things, you need to give it something else to do for a while. Something, anything non-serious that provides distraction without producing extra stress. Fun and laughs is always the best way to go.

If you don't give your mind something to keep busy with, you know where it will go on its own while you wait. You don't want it to go there since it'll be a bunch of crap with what ifs? What about this? What if that? OMG, what do I do if? I hope XYZ doesn't happen and totally kill my LG section (now you start to fear the games), etc.

Your wait time thoughts and activities should only cover two things:
#1 Find bathroom, use it before getting checked in.
#2 keep mind distracted with something brainless.

Other than dealing with pragmatics (ziplock bag and stuff), the day before the test should also pretty much only be focused on the same idea of distraction from thinking about the test and stress relief.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Jeffort wrote:The key during the wait time is simply distraction. Since it's pretty hard to turn off or calm your mind into a zen like state while waiting in line right before the test, to keep it from obsessively thinking about stress producing things, you need to give it something else to do for a while. Something, anything non-serious that provides distraction without producing extra stress. Fun and laughs is always the best way to go.

If you don't give your mind something to keep busy with, you know where it will go on its own while you wait. You don't want it to go there since it'll be a bunch of crap with what ifs? What about this? What if that? OMG, what do I do if? I hope XYZ doesn't happen and totally kill my LG section (now you start to fear the games), etc.

Your wait time thoughts and activities should only cover two things:
#1 Find bathroom, use it before getting checked in.
#2 keep mind distracted with something brainless.

like scoping out the potential in the room...yeah you know what i mean

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 pm

aesth24 wrote:
like scoping out the potential in the room...yeah you know what i mean

Pack wine coolers in the trunk of your car in case you see anyone in need of 'comforting' once it's over. never hurts to be prepared! :wink:

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:38 am

Any advice on dress code? If we bring a coat or jacket can we place behind our chair? Are hoodies allowed? I read its best to dress in layers?

Howl

Postby Howl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:00 am

AAJD2B wrote:Any advice on dress code? If we bring a coat or jacket can we place behind our chair? Are hoodies allowed? I read its best to dress in layers?

3rd-time taker here. From my two experiences, they don't let you carry it in separately, but they do allow you to WEAR them in and once you go in you can take it off. I'm not sure if that was just my test center though or a strange LSAC rule. Like the lady was "you can't take that in separately" so all of us just put on our coats at the spot and there were no problems. Just wear it in to be safe? And yes layers is the best way to go. You can shed if too hot.

Also, I wanted to add a tip for DURING TESTING. BEWARE THE EXPERIMENTAL. DON'T LET IT PSYCHE YOU OUT. If it is superhumanly difficult/weird/messed up, it is most likely an experimental. DON'T LET IT GET TO YOUR HEAD AND DON'T LET IT MESS UP THE OTHER SECTIONS, NO MATTER WHAT.

The first time I took the test - June 2012 - I had an experimental LG where the first 3 games were super, super easy, and 1 game was impossibly hard. It was my 2nd section out of the five. I wasn't the strongest at LG then (routinely going -1, -2 from lack of time at that point) but this game was just crazy difficult. I got to the last game with about 10 mins left, feeling pretty good about myself. Then I hit this game. Of course, at the time you don't know it's an experimental. This was I think a 7 question logic game, and I did the rule-applying first question and then JUST GOT STUCK. The rest 6 I stared at dumbfoundedly, not even knowing where to start, because the rule set was the longest and most complicated thing I'd ever seen. I ended up having to completely blind-guess the rest 6 as I ran out of time.

I had never had that happen during ANY of my PTs, and with the frenzy and crazed thinking during the test itself it didn't occur to me that it might be an experimental. All that was running through my mind was that I had probably missed 6 (SIX!) questions on LG, I had completely bombed the test, how I was going to have to cancel.

The next section was RC. Being so shaken and dazed by the complete disaster of a fourth game, it was impossible to concentrate. It took me about 10+ minutes to get through the first passage, because I would read a sentence but still keep thinking of the game.

Only when LG showed up again as my 5th section did I realize that the first one was an experimental. At that point, it was too late. I didn't bomb the real LG, but you guessed it - I bombed RC (-5), a section that I usually went at most -2 at.

Moral of the story - While you PT you know which is the experimental, during the test every section will feel like a real one. I don't know, some people are really good at picking the experimental out, but all the sections feel real to me at the test. DON'T LET IT DISTRACT YOU. Always keep hope that the section you just finished and felt you didn't do so hot was an experimental, so that it doesn't get in the way of other ones. You can find out after the test which was the experimental, and then decide to cancel if you wish.

Howl

Postby Howl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:07 am

Jeffort wrote:Start rambling on about having mastered the new 3-D advanced non-linear logic games LSAC just introduced for the first time on the June test, then watch panic ripple through the crowd!

this might be my favorite thing I have read on TLS forums. You, sir/madam, are a devious man/woman.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:34 am

Howl wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Any advice on dress code? If we bring a coat or jacket can we place behind our chair? Are hoodies allowed? I read its best to dress in layers?

3rd-time taker here. From my two experiences, they don't let you carry it in separately, but they do allow you to WEAR them in and once you go in you can take it off. I'm not sure if that was just my test center though or a strange LSAC rule. Like the lady was "you can't take that in separately" so all of us just put on our coats at the spot and there were no problems. Just wear it in to be safe? And yes layers is the best way to go. You can shed if too hot.

Also, I wanted to add a tip for DURING TESTING. BEWARE THE EXPERIMENTAL. DON'T LET IT PSYCHE YOU OUT. If it is superhumanly difficult/weird/messed up, it is most likely an experimental. DON'T LET IT GET TO YOUR HEAD AND DON'T LET IT MESS UP THE OTHER SECTIONS, NO MATTER WHAT.

The first time I took the test - June 2012 - I had an experimental LG where the first 3 games were super, super easy, and 1 game was impossibly hard. It was my 2nd section out of the five. I wasn't the strongest at LG then (routinely going -1, -2 from lack of time at that point) but this game was just crazy difficult. I got to the last game with about 10 mins left, feeling pretty good about myself. Then I hit this game. Of course, at the time you don't know it's an experimental. This was I think a 7 question logic game, and I did the rule-applying first question and then JUST GOT STUCK. The rest 6 I stared at dumbfoundedly, not even knowing where to start, because the rule set was the longest and most complicated thing I'd ever seen. I ended up having to completely blind-guess the rest 6 as I ran out of time.

I had never had that happen during ANY of my PTs, and with the frenzy and crazed thinking during the test itself it didn't occur to me that it might be an experimental. All that was running through my mind was that I had probably missed 6 (SIX!) questions on LG, I had completely bombed the test, how I was going to have to cancel.

The next section was RC. Being so shaken and dazed by the complete disaster of a fourth game, it was impossible to concentrate. It took me about 10+ minutes to get through the first passage, because I would read a sentence but still keep thinking of the game.

Only when LG showed up again as my 5th section did I realize that the first one was an experimental. At that point, it was too late. I didn't bomb the real LG, but you guessed it - I bombed RC (-5), a section that I usually went at most -2 at.

Moral of the story - While you PT you know which is the experimental, during the test every section will feel like a real one. I don't know, some people are really good at picking the experimental out, but all the sections feel real to me at the test. DON'T LET IT DISTRACT YOU. Always keep hope that the section you just finished and felt you didn't do so hot was an experimental, so that it doesn't get in the way of other ones. You can find out after the test which was the experimental, and then decide to cancel if you wish.

This is great advice. RC as well- they've been known to give some ridiculous RC experimentals. If you know the LSAT, and a section freaks you out entirely and is just weird, it's probably not real.

In June 2011, I had a ridiculously easy RC experimental. Haven't seen one like that since, so maybe that'll be us.... 8)

My experimental in June 2013 was an LR. It was standard, except for the fact that it had some tough questions very early on.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:24 am

Hoodies are only allowed if you tuck in the hood, which can be annoying as hell.

DRESS IN LAYERS. I thought this was TTT advice, but on my June exam, the room was literally 50 degrees (it was 90 degrees all week and 68 and rainy on test day and they didn't adjust the AC) and I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I was shivering the whole time.

magickware

Postby magickware » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 am

jingosaur wrote:DRESS IN LAYERS. I thought this was TTT advice, but on my June exam, the room was literally 50 degrees (it was 90 degrees all week and 68 and rainy on test day and they didn't adjust the AC) and I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I was shivering the whole time.

+1

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:44 am

Also make sure that you troll as much as possible with things like "How many sections is this test?" and "I didn't really study because I only need to score the average to get into my top choice." The Overheard at the LSAT thread needs fodder.

But here's real advice: make sure that you pee shortly before you sign in to the test. You have to wait for everyone else to sign in, fill out the demographic info, listen to tons of directions, and do three sections before you get to go to the bathroom again. At larger test centers, you also need to get assigned a room and seats and proctors can sometimes make it complicated (some test centers make lefties sit on the right side of the room for example).

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:50 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:
Howl wrote:

This is great advice. RC as well- they've been known to give some ridiculous RC experimentals. If you know the LSAT, and a section freaks you out entirely and is just weird, it's probably not real.

In June 2011, I had a ridiculously easy RC experimental. Haven't seen one like that since, so maybe that'll be us.... 8)

My experimental in June 2013 was an LR. It was standard, except for the fact that it had some tough questions very early on.

This is all credited. I would add that one should not actively try to guess the experimental or if a section is particularly difficult do not automatically assume it is the experimental and take it or a subsequent section "off".

I sat for the June 2012 administration when LSAC switched to two page LGs and had an experimental LG. At the time I was still extremely shaky with games. The experimental, which was my second section, was a walk in the park. I think I had two basic ordering and two in and out games. My fourth section introduced two page games and I was like "what the hell" but quickly rationalized that it was probably the experimental and half-assed it. I didn't cancel and ended up going -12 on it.

Never assume.

JackSparrow

Postby JackSparrow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

May have been mentioned, but my biggest mistake I think was getting to the site way too early. Psyched myself out, by sitting there and waiting so long.

That said if possible, try and take as many PTs as possible at your site, and at the same time your test is scheduled.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:04 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:
Howl wrote:

This is all credited. I would add that one should not actively try to guess the experimental or if a section is particularly difficult do not automatically assume it is the experimental and take it or a subsequent section "off".

I sat for the June 2012 administration when LSAC switched to two page LGs and had an experimental LG. At the time I was still extremely shaky with games. The experimental, which was my second section, was a walk in the park. I think I had two basic ordering and two in and out games. My fourth section introduced two page games and I was like "what the hell" but quickly rationalized that it was probably the experimental and half-assed it. I didn't cancel and ended up going -12 on it.

Never assume.

99% of the time, the experimental will be the first LG or first RC section that you take or one of the first two LR sections you take. When you see the extra section, that section is almost always the real one.

Edit: Just looked at my June 2013 LSAT and the 4th section (my second LG section) was the experimental. EVERYBODY PANIC!! But I still think that this is extremely rare.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Lefties, anything worth noting on your test day experience?

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Just gotta let it do what it do.

Don't get down and give up on test mid-way through, in fact don't even think about the test. Work to nab any last points possible (1-2 questions can swing the entire thing). You have an entire month to second guess yourself, don't start while you are taking it.

Also find a way to trick yourself into getting excited about whatever experimental you end up getting, even if its not LG. And also pretend that any sub-par section was DEFINITELY the experimental :lol:

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:39 pm

lsatyolo wrote:Lefties, anything worth noting on your test day experience?

For my first test, they made me sit on the right side of the room because of my left-handedness and I had to look out the window at a circus while I was taking the test.

For the second take, we all got out own tables and seats were already assigned by alphabetical order so there was no need for it.

Depends on the test center what happens.

Also, dont use a pencil that smudges a lot!!!!!! Consult the pencil thread for how to go about this.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:44 pm

jingosaur wrote:
lsatyolo wrote:Lefties, anything worth noting on your test day experience?

For my first test, they made me sit on the right side of the room because of my left-handedness and I had to look out the window at a circus while I was taking the test.

For the second take, we all got out own tables and seats were already assigned by alphabetical order so there was no need for it.

Depends on the test center what happens.

Also, dont use a pencil that smudges a lot!!!!!! Consult the pencil thread for how to go about this.

lolz pencil thread

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:54 pm

A piece of LSAT advice, especially for retakers from IDKMYBFFCHAD.

YOU OWN THIS TEST. Make it your bitch. Confidence is key.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:31 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:How confident do most people seem? Do a lot of people keep to themselves? HOW CAN I KNOW WHO THE 170+ TAKERS ARE

Ask them if they dislike conferences or mauve dinos more. If they look at you like you are crazy, they are TTTTesters.

Or ask them if they liked the older tests with 5 multiple choice answers better or the newer ones with 7.

Hahaha I'm going to try that! :lol:

jingosaur wrote:Also make sure that you troll as much as possible with things like "How many sections is this test?" and "I didn't really study because I only need to score the average to get into my top choice." The Overheard at the LSAT thread needs fodder.

+1, I LOVE that Overheard at the LSAT thread!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:10 pm

bbkk wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:How confident do most people seem? Do a lot of people keep to themselves? HOW CAN I KNOW WHO THE 170+ TAKERS ARE

Ask them if they dislike conferences or mauve dinos more. If they look at you like you are crazy, they are TTTTesters.

Or ask them if they liked the older tests with 5 multiple choice answers better or the newer ones with 7.

Hahaha I'm going to try that! :lol:

jingosaur wrote:Also make sure that you troll as much as possible with things like "How many sections is this test?" and "I didn't really study because I only need to score the average to get into my top choice." The Overheard at the LSAT thread needs fodder.

+1, I LOVE that Overheard at the LSAT thread!

Hahah, I kind of want to troll REALLY hard with the intention of getting in there after the test, and then tell whoever posts it that I was just kidding.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:13 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:Just gotta let it do what it do.

Don't get down and give up on test mid-way through, in fact don't even think about the test. Work to nab any last points possible (1-2 questions can swing the entire thing). You have an entire month to second guess yourself, don't start while you are taking it.

Also find a way to trick yourself into getting excited about whatever experimental you end up getting, even if its not LG. And also pretend that any sub-par section was DEFINITELY the experimental :lol:

chaaaaad

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Did any of you guys have some really unexpected experiences/events that threw you off significantly or had the chance to? I know some have been mentioned already, etc but just wondering if there are any other possibilities for which contingencies should be planned for.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:03 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:Did any of you guys have some really unexpected experiences/events that threw you off significantly or had the chance to? I know some have been mentioned already, etc but just wondering if there are any other possibilities for which contingencies should be planned for.

Going into my first test, I got 1 LG question wrong total on 21 prep tests. On the real thing, I got 2 wrong. Never discount a section just because you're good at it.

Also, you'll probably be surprised at how many stupid and uninformed people that there are if most of your exposure to prospective law students is through TLS.

Postby 10052014 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”