Test Day Tips From Retakers

wtrc

Test Day Tips From Retakers

Postby wtrc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:30 pm

A similar thread helped people last time, but I figured we could create a new one for this exam (I couldn't find the old one easily, it was probably embedded within another study thread). I didn't come up with all of these tips-- some of them I took from other study guides in the past. These are big ones that helped me during my two takes so far. Writing them out helps me, and hopefully will help someone on this site too.

I took PT 63- June 2011; and most recently PT 69- this past June. Both were at 12:30 PM, so a bit different than this time. My first take I just wasn't prepared. My second take I was prepared-- but not following some of the stuff below really hurt me.

For people that have taken the LSAT before: any last-minute tips in terms of what helped you, or what you wish you had done differently? Please add to this!

I've taken twice, some of the tips I'd give:

The week before the test:

-- Exercise. Don't stress. Don't overdo the PTing. Eat well. Avoid shit food. Take 10 minutes every night and/or day to meditate. Wake up early. Release anxiety and tension, in whatever way works. Find a balance: don't overdo the drinking, but don't hole up in your room either. Don't stay in all weekend, but don't party til 4 AM.

Another one: don't talk about the LSAT to others too much. I had such a one-track mind before the June test, and people knew it, and getting so many well-intentioned good luck calls the night before and morning of raised the pressure significantly for me. I woke up the morning of the test feeling so anxious and feeling nauseous (which I didn't realize was anxiety until after)- the pressure got to me, and I think it's possible to avoid that.

The day or two before the test:

--- Seriously, relax. I tried to on the day before my last take-- I went to a pool, but was looking over PT 68 then. And relax within close proximity to where you need to sleep/test the next day. Don't anxiously drive at 10:30 PM the night before trying to find the hotel you are staying at-- another mistake I made the night before.

The hour before the test:

--- Get there early.

--- Use the bathroom at the last minute. In my test center, there was a pretty big line that took about an hour to process everyone. Once you're inside the test center and checked in, you can't leave until the first section starts. I realized that when I was one person away from being checked in.... and left the line to go pee, which I'm so happy I did. Seriously, there's no need to sit in a seat for an hour or more watching people get checked in. (Granted, if everyone takes this advice nobody will go on line, but I am going to assume readers of TLS are less than 5% of each test center... :P)

The break during the test:

--- Don't talk to people during the break. You will be in the test center for half your day, and there is a singular goal- get a 180, or as close to it as possible. If anything detracts from this goal in even a tiny way- as talking to other people about the test might- skip it. It seriously can psyche you out. Having someone say "section 2 was easy!!" or more likely "section 2 was hell" only will hurt your own performance. There is no need to determine which section was experimental during the break- it's strictly against LSAC rules and really is useless until all 5 sections have been administered anyway.

LG during the test (but applies to LR and RC as well):

--- LOGIC GAMES. In my experience, and in the experience of some other posters on here, logic games for real can be substantially different than when PTing. When I'm PTing, I am relaxed, thinking of the right setup, taking time on questions to check answers and find inferences. When I took this for real last time, despite 0s and -1s very consistently on PT's, HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME BRUTE FORCE THIS SHIT THROUGH. This time, before each game-- even the standard linear one(s)-- I am going to take 20-30 seconds to really pause and think. This will cost me a minute or two total, but I'll save time on questions and the risk of what happened last time (-7 somehow) will be mitigated.

After the 5 sections:

-- This was a tip from WormFather, I think: write down, when starting your essay, how you think you did on each section (a range as well as a specific guess). Try to be accurate. This is the only time you will have a reasonable assessment until you see your score in 3-4 weeks. Remember to erase, and scribble something down for the essay.

After the test:

Get drunk.

And even if you think the test went poorly, or even if the test needed to be cancelled, for whatever reason, don't go right into studying. It will absolutely lead to burnout. Our brains are focused on October only right now. Take a week off.

What else?

Otunga

Re: Test Day Tips From Retakers

Postby Otunga » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Excellent post.

Regarding your LG advice - I fn panic with LG on PTs, so I suppose I at least know what that feeling is like! Taking the time to really decipher the right setup for games is so important, and something I've made more of a point doing, even if it seems like a basic ordering game at first glance. 'Always read the fine print', you could say, since you never know when you're getting a 'basic' ordering game like game 4 in 68.

Following the test, I'm going to Eagles/Giants at Metlife Stadium (I'm a Cowboys fan, but I've gotten invited to go, and I certainly don't mind watching each team's ineptitude as opposed to stressing over the LSAT.)

One thing about the quick assessment during the writing section: Where are we writing this assessment? Obviously you can't on the testing sheets because those are taken. Edit - Just noticed you said to erase it, so presumably you can't take your assessment with you.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Otunga wrote:One thing about the quick assessment during the writing section: Where are we writing this assessment? Obviously you can't on the testing sheets because those are taken. Edit - Just noticed you said to erase it, so presumably you can't take your assessment with you.

You get writing space where you can write down your thoughts for the writing section.

There's no particular reason to erase your thoughts on the test though; I doubt LSAC cares about how you thought you did on your LSAT.

My only advice- Don't stress.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 pm

I see. Though I don't suspect writing '180, bitches' would fly.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Otunga wrote:I see. Though I don't suspect writing '180, bitches' would fly.

At worst they'll see your actual score and have a private laugh to themselves.

Unless you got 180, in which case they'd probably have much respect for you and your confidence.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Question on getting at the test center early but using the bathroom at the last minute: does this mean to check in later than the rest?? Are seats assigned or is it first come first seated? What do you do between early arrival and later check in?? I was thinking of bringing up some warm up material,which I will discard before entering the line of course.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:03 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Question on getting at the test center early but using the bathroom at the last minute: does this mean to check in later than the rest?? Are seats assigned or is it first come first seated? What do you do between early arrival and later check in?? I was thinking of bringing up some warm up material,which I will discard before entering the line of course.

Good question. If it's a matter of either getting the wide table or being able to go to the bathroom (if even remotely urgent), though, I'm taking going to the bathroom.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Otunga wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Question on getting at the test center early but using the bathroom at the last minute: does this mean to check in later than the rest?? Are seats assigned or is it first come first seated? What do you do between early arrival and later check in?? I was thinking of bringing up some warm up material,which I will discard before entering the line of course.

Good question. If it's a matter of either getting the wide table or being able to go to the bathroom (if even remotely urgent), though, I'm taking going to the bathroom.

My two takes have been assigned seating. I'm pretty sure assigned seating is required by LSAC.

Don't check in later than the rest- just check in towards the end of everyone else. People seem to be under a weird impression that they should be first in line to check in, as if it gives some extra time or something on the sections.

I brought a little warm up material last time and then threw it away- it wasn't a problem (even though it should have been a red flag that my brain wasn't really doing the warm-up material correctly..)

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 pm

This may depend on the test center, but at mine, the seats were always predetermined unless some weirdo lefty showed up last minute.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm

The seats were not assigned in the two times I took it, but there is a guaranteed spot in your room unless they fucked up.

You should get there sufficiently early that you won't have any issue with actually getting in. But you shouldn't go in until you're done with your private business and don't have to go to the restroom for a couple of hours afterwards.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Great thread and tips.

Wondering what the ideal time is to wake up and how much warm up I should do. One LG section with some LR and RC?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 pm

+1.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
Don't check in later than the rest- just check in towards the end of everyone else.

People seem to be under a weird impression that they should be first in line to check in, as if it gives some extra time or something on the sections.

This phenomena is probably caused by an ancient deeply ingrained human survival instinct that makes people feel like they should travel with the herd cuz it makes them feel safer. Same reason why people foolishly line up early and get all aggro about boarding a plane before others even though everybody takes off at the same time and sitting on a plane waiting really sucks. It's foolish herding behavior. Don't be like the crowd of sheep! baaaaa!

Seriously, during the time you have to kill before you have to get in line, people watch and get a laugh at all the silly nervous behavior around you. Maybe even joke around and mess with peoples heads a little if you are into that and want to get a good laugh.

Start rambling on about having mastered the new 3-D advanced non-linear logic games LSAC just introduced for the first time on the June test, then watch panic ripple through the crowd!

Stress relief and keeping a good relaxed mindset is priority #1 in the last hour or two before the test. Making yourself laugh can help a lot to de-stress,
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Post removed.

Power Clean

Postby Power Clean » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 pm

PourMeTea wrote:HOW CAN I KNOW WHO THE 170+ TAKERS ARE

Ask them the time. If they're unable to help because their 180 watch doesn't tell time then you know you're in the presence of greatness. Or size up their pencils.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
bee wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:How confident do most people seem? Do a lot of people keep to themselves? HOW CAN I KNOW WHO THE 170+ TAKERS ARE

you'll be able to smell it on them. the stank of the 99th percentile.

-__-

Srsly though, what is the credited way to not let other people get in your head?

Get in their heads!!!

Seriously, feed people a bunch of made up BS to see how they react if you have to. Anything to keep your mind preoccupied so that you don't obsess and stress about LSAT specific stuff. Reviewing techniques and procedures, etc. in your head before the test isn't going to help, it'll just get you all worked up while you wonder what you are forgetting.

Try to think about the test as little as possible. Joke around, make fun of things, talk about Miley and Twerking. Think about ANYTHING but the LSAT!!
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 pm

PourMeTea wrote:How confident do most people seem? Do a lot of people keep to themselves? HOW CAN I KNOW WHO THE 170+ TAKERS ARE

Ask them if they dislike conferences or mauve dinos more. If they look at you like you are crazy, they are TTTTesters.

Or ask them if they liked the older tests with 5 multiple choice answers better or the newer ones with 7.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Its only the most important exam of your life. So don't mess up.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Post removed.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Post removed.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”