If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby roranoa » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

Just trying to make sure.

If I don't show up, does that count as one take? Because you can only take the test three times within 2 years, do I lose one of those three chances?

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby roranoa » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:27 pm

PourMeTea wrote:No, because you didn't take it. It counts as an absence. It doesn't look good. If you're not going to go, you might as well cancel it...


If I don't go, will that show on my report?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:29 pm

roranoa wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:No, because you didn't take it. It counts as an absence. It doesn't look good. If you're not going to go, you might as well cancel it...


If I don't go, will that show on my report?


Yes, if you mean just not going and not cancelling.

However, as long as you cancel by October 4th it won't show up on your report.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 pm

PourMeTea wrote:No, because you didn't take it. It counts as an absence. It doesn't look good. If you're not going to go, you might as well cancel it...


Does an absence really look bad? I have one from June, I was deathly ill the night before and the morning of the test...

That kind of stuff happens, a guy I know got stuck in a broken down metro train for an hour on his way to the test, got an absent too. I would imagine it looks better than a cancelled score in that situation.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby phillywc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:No, because you didn't take it. It counts as an absence. It doesn't look good. If you're not going to go, you might as well cancel it...


Does an absence really look bad? I have one from June, I was deathly ill the night before and the morning of the test...

That kind of stuff happens, a guy I know got stuck in a broken down metro train for an hour on his way to the test, got an absent too. I would imagine it looks better than a cancelled score in that situation.

Yes.

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:30 am

phillywc wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:No, because you didn't take it. It counts as an absence. It doesn't look good. If you're not going to go, you might as well cancel it...


Does an absence really look bad? I have one from June, I was deathly ill the night before and the morning of the test...

That kind of stuff happens, a guy I know got stuck in a broken down metro train for an hour on his way to the test, got an absent too. I would imagine it looks better than a cancelled score in that situation.

Yes.


Annnnnd...you're basing this on what exactly?

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 am

phillywc wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:No, because you didn't take it. It counts as an absence. It doesn't look good. If you're not going to go, you might as well cancel it...


Does an absence really look bad? I have one from June, I was deathly ill the night before and the morning of the test...

That kind of stuff happens, a guy I know got stuck in a broken down metro train for an hour on his way to the test, got an absent too. I would imagine it looks better than a cancelled score in that situation.

Yes.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:10 am

PourMeTea wrote:Seriously? Considering that you have until 11:59pm the night before to cancel, it makes you look like a flake who doesn't take it seriously enough. And if something does come up, write a compelling addendum and you'll be fine.


Or you could've just been caught up in an unfortunate situation? Believe it or not, it does happen.

There's no evidence that an admissions committee would look at one absence and think of it negatively. On the contrary, there is evidence that admissions committees don't care about one absent (a quick google search will show you several schools stance on it, I have personally asked this of several admissions people and they all said it wasn't anything to worry about, most of them told me not to bother with an addendum)

Writing an addendum about getting food poisoning or your car breaking down is a waste of your time and the admissions committee's.

Sure if you have multiple no-shows you come off as a flake, an isolated incident means nothing.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby dowu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 am

PourMeTea wrote:Seriously? Considering that you have until 11:59pm the night before to cancel, it makes you look like a flake who doesn't take it seriously enough. And if something does come up, write a compelling addendum and you'll be fine.

Most schools will not give a shit about your absence. All they care about is your LSAT (and GPA). I don't get why that is so hard to understand. Fuck an addendum.

People always worry about these immaterial things that have marginal (if not negligible) benefits or drawbacks.

OP, if you're scared, go to church. Cancel your LSAT and buckle down for the next test. You don't want to throw away a shot at the test because you're not sure. If you're not 100%, cancel.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:Seriously? Considering that you have until 11:59pm the night before to cancel, it makes you look like a flake who doesn't take it seriously enough. And if something does come up, write a compelling addendum and you'll be fine.


Or you could've just been caught up in an unfortunate situation? Believe it or not, it does happen.

There's no evidence that an admissions committee would look at one absence and think of it negatively. On the contrary, there is evidence that admissions committees don't care about one absent (a quick google search will show you several schools stance on it, I have personally asked this of several admissions people and they all said it wasn't anything to worry about, most of them told me not to bother with an addendum)

Writing an addendum about getting food poisoning or your car breaking down is a waste of your time and the admissions committee's.

Sure if you have multiple no-shows you come off as a flake, an isolated incident means nothing.


If you have your answer, why bother asking if it looks bad :roll:


Because I thought that you (and the several other people who say basically the same thing on this forum) had an actual reason for saying it and I wanted to know what it was.
But since the only reason you listed was "Because it makes you look flakey and not serious" I wrote out why I think you're wrong so that other people who read this thread don't just take that as fact.
*Over-the-top eye roll*

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby paglababa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:Seriously? Considering that you have until 11:59pm the night before to cancel, it makes you look like a flake who doesn't take it seriously enough. And if something does come up, write a compelling addendum and you'll be fine.


Or you could've just been caught up in an unfortunate situation? Believe it or not, it does happen.

There's no evidence that an admissions committee would look at one absence and think of it negatively. On the contrary, there is evidence that admissions committees don't care about one absent (a quick google search will show you several schools stance on it, I have personally asked this of several admissions people and they all said it wasn't anything to worry about, most of them told me not to bother with an addendum)

Writing an addendum about getting food poisoning or your car breaking down is a waste of your time and the admissions committee's.

Sure if you have multiple no-shows you come off as a flake, an isolated incident means nothing.


If you have your answer, why bother asking if it looks bad :roll:


Because I thought that you (and the several other people who say basically the same thing on this forum) had an actual reason for saying it and I wanted to know what it was.
But since the only reason you listed was "Because it makes you look flakey and not serious" I wrote out why I think you're wrong so that other people who read this thread don't just take that as fact.
*Over-the-top eye roll*


+1. I wish more people would back up the shit they say with solid facts. Groupthink.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby phillywc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:53 pm

It doesn't look good, it can't help you. Just cancel before test day. That easy. Cause all it takes is one adcom having a funny feeling about the A to fuck you. Is it likely going to be important? Nah. But why take the risk?

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby Jeffort » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:48 am

Since there is some disagreement over the potential impact an absent mark can have on admissions chances, some historical perspective is important to take into account.

For the last several years it has been true that admission committees didn't care about an absent mark on score reports and made no negative inferences about applicants that have one. There is a lot of information available from good sources about LS admissions written in the last few years that correctly concluded that an absent mark would not be used against you by admissions committees and therefore doesn't matter. That is probably why some people in this thread are being soo adamant about an absent mark not being a matter of concern.

However, the reasons that has been the case are important to consider since they no longer exist due to an LSAC policy change.

Prior to several years ago (don't remember which year offhand, but it was recent, maybe three or four years ago) LSAC allowed people to change their test date or cancel their registration up to a day or two AFTER the administration date for people that didn't show up on test day when they were registered and nothing would show on the score report. No absent mark, no score cancelled mark, just like now if you withdraw before test day only back then you had until a day or two after test day instead of the night before the test. This was the way it had been for many many many years going back a decade or more.

Under that policy there were only two real ways to end up with an absent mark:

#1: You are a big flake that blew off the test and also blew off getting around to spending a few minutes to cancel or re-schedule your registration during the two days after the test. This way, no matter what the reason you failed to show up on test day, such as getting into a car accident, sick the morning of, didn't feel ready, forgot about the test, partied instead of going, whatever, you still had two more days to deal with it easily to prevent an absent mark.

#2: You died, ended up in a coma, or got locked up somewhere against your will and couldn't show up to the test and could not get to a phone or computer or fax machine to tell LSAC to cancel or re-schedule your registration by end of biz hours on Monday for a Saturday test, Wednesday for a Monday test, etc.

During all those years an absent mark was a big scarlet letter on a score report that screamed FLAKE FLAKE FLAKE since it was super easy to prevent, and accordingly schools interpreted that way with good reason. There was no reasonable alternative explanation for an absent mark other than the student was a flake except death, coma or incarceration.

Next is where things started getting interesting. Several years ago in their infinite wisdom LSAC came up with the brilliant idea to make a big policy change concerning the deadlines for changing/re-scheduling your test registration date and also for cancelling your registration so that nothing would show on score reports about you having even been signed up for that date. The policy changes immediately caused chaos for everyone in many ways.

LSAC set the deadlines to be more than two weeks BEFORE the administration date to either postpone your test date or to simply just cancel the registration and forfeit the reg fee. If you were registered for the test and didn't re-schedule or cancel your registration by those deadlines (close to three weeks before test day for some administrations!) you were locked into having one of three things show on your score report about that administration: A reported score, a cancelled score, or an absent.

This horrible change tore students apart by adding tons more stress to the last few weeks leading up to test day since you had to decide three weeks before the test whether or not you think you'll be within striking range on test day to decide if ready or not and should postpone rather than waste a take or get an absent. People freaked out because they got forced into having to figure out which looks less bad to an admissions committee, a canceled score, a crappy score or an absent when they realized shortly before test day that they weren't yet ready to do their best and it would be best to wait. It created a lot of controversy because in order to avoid having something show up on your score report about an administration if you felt unprepared and wanted to postpone, you had to make that decision weeks before you could determine your final scoring range close to test day. In short, the drop dead deadline or else something will show up on your report was changed from being two days after the test you were registered for to about 2.5 weeks before the administration, so you had to make the 'am I really prepared to hit my goal on this test date?' decision more than two weeks before the test instead of the day before like now.

Since letting an absent end up on your report had always been universally considered to be a big red flag about an applicant, people felt locked into showing up on test day just to give it a shot and probably cancel the score due to the negative stigma absent marks had always carried. Everyone went nutz about this issue for a long time and there were tons of debates about which is better or worse to have, an absent or a cancel, since of course most people couldn't reasonably figure out whether or not they would be ready to hit their score range until after the new LSAC deadlines had passed, test day was closer, and they were already locked into the administration.

Schools got flooded with questions from students about the issue and really didn't have or give any straight answers since they were in uncharted territory they had never faced before with what an absent mark on a score report could reasonably be interpreted to mean as well as what a cancel mark could be interpreted to mean. Before it was easy to draw a conclusion about each one: Absent = flake or horribly incapacitated. Cancel = thought they were ready, took it, didn't do as well as expected.

Since many different unexpected things can occur within the last two weeks before a test that would be good reason not to sit for it, such as not getting close to target range and wanting to postpone, not wanting to waste one of your three allowed takes since you know you aren't ready, getting sick, etc. an absent could no longer be fairly interpreted to mean the student was just a flake. More likely it meant they wisely decided they weren't ready to do their best and that it would be dumb to waste one of their three takes.

Schools hated the new LSAC policy since it caused them to get flooded with tons of questions from stressed out students shortly before each administration about how cancel vs absent affects admission decisions. Schools didn't know how to assign any positive or negative weight to either one under the circumstances the new LSAC policies forced students into so they went with the rational, fuck it we don't care either way policy since to do otherwise would require them to speculate/guess about the reasons each student has a cancel or an absent. Schools also got really really tired of reading tons and tons of lame arse BS excuse filled addendums from practically every applicant with a cancel or an absent on record.

All the associated nonsense with debates about whether cancel or absent looks worse raged on the whole time the lame new LSAC policy was in effect but the dust finally settled that under those LSAC rules, an absent didn't matter and wouldn't be used against you since it no longer was guaranteed to mean either flaky or dead student and instead could just be somebody that got the flu the day before the test. This is where all the advice you find here on TLS and everywhere else about absent being meaningless comes from, the short period of time when you couldn't withdraw your reg right before test day if for any reason you decided not to show up. Unfortunately that reason is now gone and under the current regs an absent is a pretty sure sign an applicant is a flake, just like it used to all the years before.

LSAC changed the policy back to what it is now with the night before withdraw option last year after seeing all the chaos the short lived policy caused during its life and from talking to law schools about it. Law schools wanted the policy changed back because it created confusion and took away their ability to assign any meaning to a cancel or an absent on a score report, told LSAC the policy sucked, they listened, and here we are today.

Does this mean that absent goes back to meaning either flake or dead/coma/incarcerated since there is now the withdraw the night before option? I say yes, but probably not right away, give it a few cycles since the current policy has only been in place for a year and there are plenty of people with absent on their record due to the old policy that could apply in an upcoming cycle.

So there is a little history lesson that will hopefully keep you guys from killing each other who is right about whether absent means flake or nothing. Right now it means both! depending on the date next to it and/or when you apply!

Seriously though, under the current LSAC rules, we are back to the situation above where an absent really only does mean one of two things, both of which are very bad! (but hey, flake is better than comatose, dead or locked up right?) and a cancel means you thought you were ready but decided during/after the test that you didn't do the best you could for whatever reason (cuz you showed up instead of withdrawing!). Admissions committees want to be able to make inferences/judgments about candidates from all the data they have for each application, especially stuff on LSAT score reports since its, uhh, the most heavily weighed part of an application. Absent only became meaningless due to a short lived set of LSAC policies, so don't count on it staying meaningless in the future once law schools forget all about the short bad phase under the crap policy. Of course if exigent circumstances make you absent such as a car accident on the way to the test, you simply write an addendum and tell them so they know you're not a flake and it wouldn't hurt you.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingofSplitters55
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm

So much unwarranted speculation. It is just as likely that admission officers really don't have the time or inclination to care at all.

User avatar
clay7676
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 am

Re: If I don't show up for the test, does that count as 1 take?

Postby clay7676 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:49 pm

I don't really understand how you can penalize an absence. There are a plethora of reasons, whether emergency or non-emergency, that could hinder one from attending their intended date. Moreover, there isn't really any accountability with it at all. You don't have to produce a doctor's note or a police report to the LSAC Gestapo. Though, I think it counting as a cancel is fair. If you have something serious enough to happen to you three times in a row for a set date, I would be worried about you as a person in general.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, bcapace, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Instrumental, ltowns1, MSNbot Media, Pozzo, Tazewell, tuesdayninja, Windjammer and 5 guests