Preparing and accounting for recent PT's being harder

tigersaresexy

Preparing and accounting for recent PT's being harder

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 am

I was testing around where I wanted to be, and I had saved the most recent PT's for the last two weeks before the test.

I've noticed that the 60's are much harder than the 50's, and given that there's not a lot of recent material (in comparison to older material) I'm starting to freak out about being unprepared for the October test.

Here are my scores the last few tests I've taken

PT 59 - 173
PT 60 - 172
PT 61 - 169
PT 62 - 168
PT 63 - 168

A 168 is really not where I want to be, I've worked so hard so this is starting to get really depressing and disheartening.

Any thoughts on how I can maximize my last few tests? I have 64-69 left, I don't want to waste them but I also don't want this downward trend to continue. What's some stuff that's markedly harder or more common on the newer tests than in the 50's? I'm looking for things I should be working on when I'm not testing.

bp shinners

Re: Preparing and accounting for recent PT's being harder

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:53 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:I've noticed that the 60's are much harder than the 50's, and given that there's not a lot of recent material (in comparison to older material) I'm starting to freak out about being unprepared for the October test.

That's not really true. They may be a little harder, but the difficulty has also standardized - while the average is SLIGHTLY higher, there are fewer killer or super-easy questions.

I'd say the drop is due to 2 things:
1) The LSAC has noticed that prep courses/materials have started to get extremely sophisticated in their analysis of the material, and we've come up with great tricks that work most of the time even if someone doesn't understand them. To counteract this, they've started to write questions that actively work around those tricks/rules of thumb, so that only people who understand why they work spot the trap and don't fall for it. They've also been writing elements of the test (especially games) to get you to think that you're dealing with a new question type, when you're really dealing with a convoluted wording of a basic question type. This doesn't mean the test is harder - just that it's different, and you'll have to adjust.

2) You're probably a little burnt out.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 am

bp shinners wrote:2) You're probably a little burnt out.

Oh god you're right. I'm totally burnt out. The thought of doing more LSAT almost made me cry this morning. What do I do?? Take a couple days off? It's so late in the game..dammit...I should've done this earlier.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:24 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:

Oh god you're right. I'm totally burnt out. The thought of doing more LSAT almost made me cry this morning. What do I do?? Take a couple days off? It's so late in the game..dammit...I should've done this earlier.

Taking time off now, even this late in the game, is better than going into the exam completely spent.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:40 pm

bp shinners wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:

Taking time off now, even this late in the game, is better than going into the exam completely spent.

This cannot be understated. I was basically forced to take the last 5-6 days either off completely or study LSAT lightly as I had a bunch of Midterms and school things to take care of. Just took my first PT in 6 days and got my highest score ever (177) after being stuck at a 173 for weeks.

I was super nervous that this test would destroy me and my confidence because of how little I have studied since my last PT but apparently being forced to spend my time studying accounting, finance, and investments let my brain recharge on logic stuff.

magickware

Postby magickware » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:41 pm

I have the opposite reaction. I forget things. Like how "unless" works. It's really weird.

What should I do =(

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:50 am

Thanks guys, a day later and I already feel less fried.

dat guilt though, after forcing yourself to study for months not doing anything seems like a betrayal.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:27 am

I like tigers because they fit my personality

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:30 am

tigersaresexy wrote:dat guilt though, after forcing yourself to study for months not doing anything seems like a betrayal.

Thanks to the curve, that feeling can get much worse during law school

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”