LG Rule Substitution

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

LG Rule Substitution

Postby aesth24 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22 pm

I was wondering what strategies you guys use on such questions? I know they're not very common, but PT 66 had one on G2 and was my single miss. I don't really have a strategy for these questions and have no idea how to approach them. Any tips?

Thanks

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: LG Rule Substitution

Postby jk148706 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:58 pm

aesth24 wrote:I was wondering what strategies you guys use on such questions? I know they're not very common, but PT 66 had one on G2 and was my single miss. I don't really have a strategy for these questions and have no idea how to approach them. Any tips?

Thanks


I have not found any foolproof method, but there are a couple approaches that help. I first scan the answer choices and try to intuitively eliminate two or three answers. I usually mark those answers to indicate they are PROBABLY not correct (though I don't necessarily cross them out).

Once I'm down to two or three choices I just try to create a situation that is OK under the new rule, but not under the old rules, or vice versa. It's not too bad if I plug and chug quickly with only two or three answer choices, but I agree that these questions are definitely the hardest in LG.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: LG Rule Substitution

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 pm

jk148706 wrote:
aesth24 wrote:I was wondering what strategies you guys use on such questions? I know they're not very common, but PT 66 had one on G2 and was my single miss. I don't really have a strategy for these questions and have no idea how to approach them. Any tips?

Thanks


I have not found any foolproof method, but there are a couple approaches that help. I first scan the answer choices and try to intuitively eliminate two or three answers. I usually mark those answers to indicate they are PROBABLY not correct (though I don't necessarily cross them out).

Once I'm down to two or three choices I just try to create a situation that is OK under the new rule, but not under the old rules, or vice versa. It's not too bad if I plug and chug quickly with only two or three answer choices, but I agree that these questions are definitely the hardest in LG.


To add to this, it can be helpful to use previously constructed (viable) hypotheticals to eliminate incorrect answer choices. If you have done a hypo out that violates the "new rule" in the AC, then that "new rule" is obviously not having the same effect on the rules that the one you're substituting for did.

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: LG Rule Substitution

Postby aesth24 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Appreciate the responses guys.

User avatar
SecondWind
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: LG Rule Substitution

Postby SecondWind » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:58 am

Generally, if I'm not mistaken, those massive time vampires appear as the last question of the game; when it does appear. If it's not, I skip it and work it at the end of the game I'm working on. I do most hypos in my head (which saves a lot of time), so other than my main diagram there is very little writing on the page for me.

That being said, when I work a rule sub question, I sometimes build it right into my main diagram (it doesn't matter because it's the last question I'm doing for that game) erasing the previous rule. However, if I perceive the question as "easy" (I base this on how well I have internalized the rules of the game), then I run the hypos in my head. Yes, I know it's really easy for this to bite you in the ass. :oops:

All in all, be flexible. If there's no readily apparent way to solve it, build it into your main diagram. If you don't think you have the time skip it and finish the other games and come back to it.

User avatar
JWP1022
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: LG Rule Substitution

Postby JWP1022 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:29 am

A lot of times, the rule substitution will be a restatement of an inference you can make about the game. For example, in PT65 G4 (TV Broadcasts), the fact that Generations lasts an hour and can only start on the hour means that it can only be program 1, 3, or 5 (starting at 1:00 2:00 or 3:00). The answer to the rule substitution question is "Generations cannot be program 2 or program 4," which is basically a restatement of that inference.

As the previous poster said, it really varies. There is no 100% surefire way to do them, and it blows.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: LG Rule Substitution

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:30 am

elterrible78 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
aesth24 wrote:I was wondering what strategies you guys use on such questions? I know they're not very common, but PT 66 had one on G2 and was my single miss. I don't really have a strategy for these questions and have no idea how to approach them. Any tips?

Thanks


I have not found any foolproof method, but there are a couple approaches that help. I first scan the answer choices and try to intuitively eliminate two or three answers. I usually mark those answers to indicate they are PROBABLY not correct (though I don't necessarily cross them out).

Once I'm down to two or three choices I just try to create a situation that is OK under the new rule, but not under the old rules, or vice versa. It's not too bad if I plug and chug quickly with only two or three answer choices, but I agree that these questions are definitely the hardest in LG.


To add to this, it can be helpful to use previously constructed (viable) hypotheticals to eliminate incorrect answer choices. If you have done a hypo out that violates the "new rule" in the AC, then that "new rule" is obviously not having the same effect on the rules that the one you're substituting for did.


That's exactly what I do, using old hypos. You can usually eliminate 2-3 choices and then it's down to 2 subs that you can further make/use hypos for.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests