BerkeleyMan5

Postby BerkeleyMan5 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotguy

Re: Logical Reasoning Inconsistency

Postby Hotguy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Jeffort wrote:OP, significant fluctuations in LR scores over a short period of time typically indicates that the person is not always sticking to applying the same full set of systematic steps of appropriate analysis and techniques consistently to each question, meaning that on bad LR days you probably skipped steps/half-assed the analysis or did the analysis differently than usual for some of the questions in the sections, thus leading to mistakes. If it wasn't that then it probably was fatigue/burnout that caused you to not fully/properly comprehend/understand/process certain things in each of the questions you missed.

Quoted for brilliance. Everything else he said was good, too.

HTH

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:48 pm

BerkeleyMan5 wrote:I am having a particular hard time developing any sort of real consistency in the LR section, and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and was able to alleviate it. I've been studying for quite a long time and have a good grasp on the material, but I noticed that on some tests I just make real careless LR errors, and on other tests I don't. I fluctuate anywhere between -3 total for LR, to even -12 total. I'd say I average around -6 total.

Is this just due to going to fast? Burn out? My last LR section was really poor and it freaked me out so close to the test (I'm scheduled for October). I usually get between -0 and -2 in games, and -4 in reading comp, so it's really the logical reasoning that's been tripping me up at this point.

Same exact problem here. I went through my PTs on LSATQA and found that I'm missing strengthen/flaw questions consistently and need to shore up assumptions. I'm just going to re-read the MLSAT chapters and drill as much as possible until October.

BerkeleyMan5

Postby BerkeleyMan5 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:25 pm

The LRB was a solid foundation for me but I think Manhattan's guide is superior. Particularly, I like its argument core method. It's largely intuitive but the way Manhattan places an emphasis on using it to weave a common strategical thread through all the question types (except inference questions of course) really helped turn the light bulb on for me. I would definitely go through it between now and test day if you have the time. The Manhattan forums are also an excellent tool for getting explanations for particular problems.

I've been inconsistent with LR lately but I believe it's cause I had to take a month off from prep between mid-July to mid-August. I didn't have a chance to keep practicing what I learned. My first few PTs after finishing MLSAT in early July were 169 and now LR is keeping from breaking 170. I need to re-internalize the methods so I'm going to go through the text again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”