Going from low 170s to 175+

La.Chocolate

Going from low 170s to 175+

Postby La.Chocolate » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:20 am

It seems that studying Powerscore and other material and taking many, many PTs helps you break the 170 point.

But how does one go about from low 170s to 175+, once you've known all the "theortical" knowledge about how to solve problems, and you're consistently taking many PTs.

To be honest, I feel that there's a certain limit to how much you can improve on practice alone.

Is there anyone who was actually able to climb from low 170s to 175+ on the actual test?

KingofSplitters55

Re: Going from low 170s to 175+

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm

I think getting from 170's to 175+ is largely a matter of practice, luck, and how you've reached this point as of far.

At this level it really comes down to the shavings on the margins - namely, the little things. Things such as those few seconds saved per question from having practiced so much on that you are able to then go back and catch the question on the second run through that you would have gotten wrong with that run-through; being able to pick up on a rare but devastating trick in a question because you remember having seen it once before in the midst of 20 or 30 PTs; etc.

In my opinion, the only way more learning about the theory could help you is if you've reached the 170's so far while replacing a significant amount of theoretical understanding with gimmick tricks. Certain questions required for 175+ are generally immune to those gimmick tricks.

La.Chocolate

Re: Going from low 170s to 175+

Postby La.Chocolate » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

KingofSplitters55,
thank you very much for your informative response!
I guess it all boils down to practice, practice, and more practice.

Thanks.
KingofSplitters55 wrote:I think getting from 170's to 175+ is largely a matter of practice, luck, and how you've reached this point as of far.

At this level it really comes down to the shavings on the margins - namely, the little things. Things such as those few seconds saved per question from having practiced so much on that you are able to then go back and catch the question on the second run through that you would have gotten wrong with that run-through; being able to pick up on a rare but devastating trick in a question because you remember having seen it once before in the midst of 20 or 30 PTs; etc.

In my opinion, the only way more learning about the theory could help you is if you've reached the 170's so far while replacing a significant amount of theoretical understanding with gimmick tricks. Certain questions required for 175+ are generally immune to those gimmick tricks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”