PT55 section 1 #17

cneu333

PT55 section 1 #17

Postby cneu333 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:52 am

I get why (A), (B) and (C) are wrong, and I get why (D) is correct, but for some reason I don't understand how (E) is wrong. I looked at all the explanations on the Manhattan LSAT forum for this question but I still don't have a clear understanding of (E). Any help would be much appreciated!

JWP1022

Re: PT55 section 1 #17

Postby JWP1022 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 am

The stimulus says "declaring this culture didn't know what a 'moral' right is is dumb! That would be like saying a person who discovers a wild fruit tree and uses it all the time doesn't know what 'fruit' is because he hasn't named it such."

Essentially the argument is saying that "you don't need to have a name/term for something in order to understand it."

The core of the argument is essentially:

This would be like calling someone who discovers a fruit tree and harvests fruit from it regularly ignorant of what fruit really is --> The assumption about ancient cultures/moral rights is mistaken

The gap is pretty clear. What if that person doesn't actually get fruit (what would it mean to "get" fruit anyways)? Choice D nails this one. If it's actually correct that these people were ignorant of fruit (as the negation of the choice would say), the argument in the stimulus entirely falls apart.

Choice E says that "One need not know what something is before one can name it." This is out of scope. The argument isn't concerned with the pre-requisites for naming something, as it is basically saying that naming something doesn't matter at all in regards to understanding what that is! In essence, the actual "naming" part of the stimulus doesn't matter that much in the assumption because, within the stimulus, the names don't even exist. There is no term for moral right, and there is no name for the fruit tree, but there is understanding of what those things are. It's a tempting answer, but in the end this assumption really has no effect on the argument.

JWP1022

Re: PT55 section 1 #17

Postby JWP1022 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Edit: Wrong thread.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”