Best Online Prep Course While Studying Abroad

fupr92

Best Online Prep Course While Studying Abroad

Postby fupr92 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:24 am

Hello All!

I'm new to these forums as I just started studying for the LSAT.

Two weeks ago I took the June LSAT as my diagnostic cold and scored a 143. I pretty much got the same number of questions wrong on each section. +/- 1 between each one. My friend gave me the PowerScore 2011 or 2012 Logic Games and workout, Manhattan Logical Reasoning and reading comprehension books before I left to start my academic year abroad. Since my diagnostic, I've been going through the Logic Games book. Logic Games inference making seems a little at home to me as I play a lot of sudoku on my android app, and always play the Extreme level. However, there are always one or two questions in each example game in the book and in the workout book that I stumble upon. Mainly because I miss one inference I did not catch. I've heard about the 2013 revision that has undergone a lot of changes. Is it worth buying it?

I saved up $900 for an online course, and read about the different ones on TLS such as 7sage, blue print, manhattan, velocity, power score, and test masters. However, I'm having trouble deciding as I don't know which method will be most effective for me as I'm not the best person when it comes to test taking. In high school I only scored a 28 ACT (about 1860 on the SAT) after a 23 (about 1590 SAT) diagnostic. I also had a prep course, took 10-15 practice tests, and sat in for the test for a total of three times. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a course that I do not respond well to. If I can score 165+ on the actual exam then I would be SO HAPPY. Which ones do you guys suggest? I've also been thinking about the LSATBlog logical reasoning course and logic games course separately as well.

I have a lot of time on my hands as I have only 4 hours of class on Monday, Tu-Fri only 2 hours. Weekends free. I want to take the December LSAT so I can travel around, but should I take February instead?

Thanks!

Edit: Originally I posted: "I'm the best person" where I meant to say "NOT the best person"

jptw88

Re: Best Online Prep Course While Studying Abroad

Postby jptw88 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 am

Hi fupr,

BluePrint, PowerScore and TestMasters seem have high customer reviews and positive feedback. I've heard the worst about Kaplan and Princeton. If you've started prepping with the Powerscore bibles, then opt with a Powerscore course. Mixing two different strategies is not a good idea as your approach to the problems later in your preparation will become instinctive.

ACT scores are in not way indicative of LSAT potential or test taking aptitude. Yes both tests are "standardized" but they measure two different things. The ACT is an achievement test, LSAT is an aptitude test.

As for sudoku and logic games... when i started prepping i was under the same assumption that sudoku would help upon identifying games inferences. It does, but it can also hold your timing back when diagramming the game. At times i found myself "trying to solve the puzzle" (Fill in all blanks-ultimate goal in sudoku) and looking for inferences that were not supported by the question stimulus. Remember, the LSAT designs each section to not be completed by your average test taker so timing is key. Keep this in mind moving forward.

Only sign up to take the LSAT when your scores are in a consistent range every test. Hope this helps, and Good luck.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm

If you have any specific questions about our course (Blueprint), shoot me a PM - more than happy to answer anything! I can also check on discounts for TLS members if you get in touch.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:05 pm

[quote="fupr92"
I saved up $900 for an online course, and read about the different ones on TLS such as 7sage, blue print, manhattan, velocity, power score, and test masters. However, I'm having trouble deciding as I don't know which method will be most effective for me as I'm not the best person when it comes to test taking. [/quote]
You should be aware that there are different types of online courses. In order from level of interactivity--and for the most part in order of price:

1. Screen capture recordings (like Khan academy)
2. Recordings of teachers/classes
3. Interactive Videos
4. Live Online lectures, students have no mics but can type questions to TA (sometimes)
5. Live Online classes with small classes, students get on mic to ask/answer questions

I imagine all those options you listed can help you. You can try out samples of most of them. (We have #3 and #5 and you can do a free trial). Good luck and get ready for a brain squeeze!

alan-7sage

Postby alan-7sage » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:43 pm

fupr92 wrote:I saved up $900 for an online course, and read about the different ones on TLS such as 7sage, blue print, manhattan, velocity, power score, and test masters. However, I'm having trouble deciding as I don't know which method will be most effective for me as I'm not the best person when it comes to test taking. In high school I only scored a 28 ACT (about 1860 on the SAT) after a 23 (about 1590 SAT) diagnostic. I also had a prep course, took 10-15 practice tests, and sat in for the test for a total of three times. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a course that I do not respond well to. If I can score 165+ on the actual exam then I would be SO HAPPY. Which ones do you guys suggest? I've also been thinking about the LSATBlog logical reasoning course and logic games course separately as well.

I have a lot of time on my hands as I have only 4 hours of class on Monday, Tu-Fri only 2 hours. Weekends free. I want to take the December LSAT so I can travel around, but should I take February instead?

Let me know if you have any questions about 7Sage, I'd be happy to answer. You can create a free account in seconds and preview the course. Also, we have a 14-day no hassle money back guarantee. So if you try out 7Sage and change your mind, you're not out any money, and you can keep using the logic game explanations and grader at no cost.

Noah is spot on in pointing out that the online courses can be very different from one another, and different people respond to different styles. Since it sounds like you have the time, I recommend doing some free trials and to see what works for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”