How do I improve LR?!?!

Kobaine51

How do I improve LR?!?!

Postby Kobaine51 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I am taking the October LSAT and have been frustrated with logical reasoning.

While originally I had difficulty with games and reading - I have since overcome these and only err as a result of time (and rarely is this a problem.)

I have been going between -2 and -6 on my last 10 PTs, and a majority of the questions I get wrong are logical reasoning. I am frustrated because I have essentially unlimited time - I generally finish the section (before going back and checking my work) in 22-25 minutes - but there are a couple questions in every section that I find difficult. There is no trend in terms of type of question, but what I have noticed is that these questions often have correct answers that feel more "least wrong" than correct.

Tangentially, I sometimes misread prompts when I am tired.

For anyone who consistently gets -0 or -1 on LR, what do you think of my problem. Does anyone have reccomendations for how I can improve further and increase my focus on prompts (and bubbling).

neprep

Re: How do I improve LR?!?!

Postby neprep » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Kobaine51 wrote:I am taking the October LSAT and have been frustrated with logical reasoning.

While originally I had difficulty with games and reading - I have since overcome these and only err as a result of time (and rarely is this a problem.)

I have been going between -2 and -6 on my last 10 PTs, and a majority of the questions I get wrong are logical reasoning. I am frustrated because I have essentially unlimited time - I generally finish the section (before going back and checking my work) in 22-25 minutes - but there are a couple questions in every section that I find difficult. There is no trend in terms of type of question, but what I have noticed is that these questions often have correct answers that feel more "least wrong" than correct.

Tangentially, I sometimes misread prompts when I am tired.

For anyone who consistently gets -0 or -1 on LR, what do you think of my problem. Does anyone have reccomendations for how I can improve further and increase my focus on prompts (and bubbling).

I think one of your problems is finishing the section in 22 minutes. So on average you spend less than a minute per question after having completed every question; some people reach the end of the section on the 22 minute mark, but that's because they've skipped questions so the section isn't complete. But if you've bubbled in answers for every question in 22 minutes and are only returning to check your work, that kind of speed is probably going to hurt your accuracy more than can be compensated by rechecking. Once you've selected an answer, there's some sort of bias towards it that develops as a result of its already being bubbled in.

Just try slowing down, and aim for 30 minutes, and 5 to recheck the ones that gave you trouble (this number will decrease as you spend more time on each question, on average).

Kobaine51

Re: How do I improve LR?!?!

Postby Kobaine51 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm

neprep wrote:
I think one of your problems is finishing the section in 22 minutes. So on average you spend less than a minute per question after having completed every question; some people reach the end of the section on the 22 minute mark, but that's because they've skipped questions so the section isn't complete. But if you've bubbled in answers for every question in 22 minutes and are only returning to check your work, that kind of speed is probably going to hurt your accuracy more than can be compensated by rechecking. Once you've selected an answer, there's some sort of bias towards it that develops as a result of its already being bubbled in.

Just try slowing down, and aim for 30 minutes, and 5 to recheck the ones that gave you trouble (this number will decrease as you spend more time on each question, on average).

I should clarify that I am finishing in 22-25 minutes, but marking the questions I don't know immediately and coming back and thinking about them for the next 10 minutes. I am not rushing, it just takes me about 20 seconds to read the prompt and 20-40 to determine the answer on most questions. My accuracy is near perfect on the questions that I do not take the time to go back to.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”