Has anyone done a Kaplan Technical interview?

I Used to Be a Spy

Has anyone done a Kaplan Technical interview?

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Just wondering what to expect. I've got one coming up but they haven't provided very much information. Some web sources (from 2011) mentioned doing a group online interview which I'm suspecting is what this will be.

Anyone done one of these before?

cahwc12

Re: Has anyone done a Kaplan Technical interview?

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Don't do it. Whatever money you think you're going to make teaching for Kaplan you won't. All they want you to do is promote their materials as much as possible. You'll get very few hours initially, and the pay rate is abysmal compared to what you could make as a private tutor. It's also a prodigious task to not hate yourself while knowingly advocating poor problem-solving methods which are laden with acronyms, arbitrary nomenclature, and a lot of very obviously cherry-picked questions that are supposed to "wow" the student into believing their methods work.

As far as actually passing the interview, show up on time, have a score above the acceptable range, and don't be a weirdo. But really you shouldn't waste your time with it. Trust me, I was in a similar position as you, mapped out how much money I "would" make as a tutor for Kaplan, and thought it was a great deal. You won't get the hours you think you'll get, and you'll end up going the private route anyway. Save yourself the time and do it now.

According to your other thread asking about this, you have a 99th percentile score. I highly recommend posting an ad on craigslist and joining various tutor websites such as tutorselect and get some business. If you live near a university, post some flyers there. Work out an initial session prep plan and then apply it when you have a new student. Once you begin tutoring, you'll see how much more you'll make versus teaching 6 hours per week for Kaplan.

I Used to Be a Spy

Re: Has anyone done a Kaplan Technical interview?

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks Cahwc12 for your very helpful response.

You're right of course. I was/am hoping that teaching Kaplan will be a fun and social way to earn some extra bucks(like doing volunteer work, but slightly paid). I work a full time job that pays the bills but isn't very social so the money is a secondary concern.

That said I hadn't considered how frustrating it may be teaching Kaplan's methods. Like most (all?) 99th percentile LSATers I used the Manhattan books and TLS.

Much Obliged,

Spy

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”