Anyone take ADHD medication semi-regularly or regularly? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tigersaresexy

Bronze

Anyone take ADHD medication semi-regularly or regularly?

Post by tigersaresexy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 am

I have a prescription for Vyvanse, but I've never taken it with frequency so I'm kind of clueless about it. Pulling the occasional all-nighter or days when I have early morning tests mainly.

That being said, I've taken it three days in a row now, because I've been taking 9am practice tests 3 days in a row and I've scheduled the rest of my days before the LSAT so that it's test, test, test, break, test, test, test, break etc.

I plan to take a Vy every test day, as well as on the actual test day. But I'm worried about how my body is going to react to that, and I'm worried that it won't be as effective as I want it to be on test day if I take it so often.

So anyway, my questions are:

How do you feel after taking it everyday for three weeks? Do you feel that it can get less effective in such a short time? Do you take meds when you take practice tests? Do you think it effects your score? What's the best way to sleep early if you've taken one? When do you get your appetite back? Do you think it's a better idea for me to take it everyday from now till test day, or take a break every three days? How do you control having to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes (seriously, I need to know)? I've been drinking half a Red Bull before the test and the other half during my break while on Vy, what's the likelihood of my heart exploding if I continue to do this the next few weeks?

Your input is appreciated. I don't have any close friends who take addy regularly, so I'd rather ask strangers on the internet, and drug forums scare me.

LeafaR

New

Re: Anyone take ADHD medication semi-regularly or regularly?

Post by LeafaR » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:02 pm

I don't take ADHD medicine regularly, but I do have a prescription for adderall. I take it occasionally to study, and started taking it more frequently in preparation for the LSAT.
It's a powerful tool if you know how to use it right, and has definitely helped me in being able to stay focused through long 3-4 hour tests. That being said, amphetamines are fairly strong drugs.

I wouldn't recommend taking them everyday--for one, you'll develop a tolerance for it fairly quickly if you take it every day. Also, I find it physically unpleasant since (as you said) it's a strong diuretic, strong appetite suppressant, and sometimes gives me headaches and stomachaches. Take it 4-5 times a week (every study day) and give your body at least a day or three to relax/readjust. Otherwise it'll become less effective and you'll probably have to start adjusting your dosage frequently.

Sadly, the eating/drinking/food thing can be a problem. Get on a routine: take you vyvanse right after you wake up, with food. That'll give you at least 12 hours to come down, and for your appetite to return to normal before dinner.
Hope this helps.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:43 pm

you guys take them 4-5 times a week? i take them here and now but i need at least a week to recover..

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm

ADHD drugs are used in very restricted doses to treat a condition--namely ADHD. Use them for any other purpose and the consequences will range from useless to detrimental. Especially amphetamines--research shows they do different things to the brains of people with ADHD than to normal brains.

If you get a little anxious, would you take Xanax? If you get a little blue, would you take Prosac? If you got a little paranoid because you were under a bit of stress, would you take Risperdal?

jswranch

New

Post by jswranch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:23 am

How do you feel after taking it everyday for three weeks? Do you feel that it can get less effective in such a short time? Do you take meds when you take practice tests? Do you think it effects your score? What's the best way to sleep early if you've taken one? When do you get your appetite back? Do you think it's a better idea for me to take it everyday from now till test day, or take a break every three days? How do you control having to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes (seriously, I need to know)? I've been drinking half a Red Bull before the test and the other half during my break while on Vy, what's the likelihood of my heart exploding if I continue to do this the next few weeks?
I am a daily Adderall user. I used to take Vyvanse back when I had medical insurance, but now it is too expensive for me. Vyvanse is great at is comes on slowly and ends slowly, from 8am to 5pm. I usually found myself with my mind drained after 6pm. I finally found a good psychiatrist who gave me a dose of Adderall to take after the Vyvanse. Life is good.

I have been on stimulants for years. I can hardly read tough literature (like LSAT) without it.

How do you feel after taking it everyday for three weeks?
=Great

Do you feel that it can get less effective in such a short time?
=I am not sure I understand your question. Take you meds regularly. I feel it is bad juju to take inconsistently.

Do you take meds when you take practice tests?
=Cant take them without my meds and get a decent score.

What's the best way to sleep early if you've taken one?
=Take them early. Dont take Aderoll doses after 6 pm. Take vyvanse at 10am at the latest. For sleep aid I have tried the following:
-Melatonin (max 5mg) OTC, safe for kids, non addictive, fast acting
-Sudafed, trying it now to get on sleep schedule, so far so good but jury is still out.
-Trazadone requires prescription. Works but I feel drowsy the next day.

!!!!Keep in dark place to help sleep, Keep away from TV/Computer/phone screens at night as the light messes with your brain chemistry and will keep you awake!!!

When do you get your appetite back?
= A few days

Do you think it's a better idea for me to take it everyday from now till test day, or take a break every three days?
=take daily

How do you control having to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes (seriously, I need to know)?
=I dont have that problem

I've been drinking half a Red Bull before the test and the other half during my break while on Vy, what's the likelihood of my heart exploding if I continue to do this the next few weeks?
= Low. I feel that is unwise but the heart attack chances are probably very low unless you have other problems.

Vyvanse will serve you best as you take it daily.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:03 pm

OP check out provigil nuvigil if you get the chance. This is of course assuming you are going to the doctors to have a LEGAL SCRIPT first and foremost. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”