Test Day Drop from PTs?

RichyD23

Test Day Drop from PTs?

Postby RichyD23 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if many test-takers experience a significant drop from consistent PT scores on the day of the actual test. Has anyone suffered a serious drop on test day from PTs? If so, why/what happened? How frequently does such a drop occur? For those of you that have taken the test once or multiple times, have you found it likely to score around the middle of your PT range, lower on the range, higher on the range, etc.

In other words, what is the range that one will likely fall within in relation to PT scores and, ultimately, what do PT scores really mean as a predictive evaluation of test day based on your wise TLS perspective/experiences?

Thank you guys,

D

splitcity

Re: Test Day Drop from PTs?

Postby splitcity » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:20 pm

I'd say the range is +/- 4

This all depends on:

- Your ability to deal with test day jitters (some people are paralyzed and others actually do better than they usually would)
- How many sections you've been practicing with
- How much you've been inflating your PT score (giving yourself extra time, allowing yourself that extra +1 so you can reach a 170, etc)
- The uncontrollables: Heavy traffic day of the test, you get into a car crash or something happens and your mind is somewhere else, you're thrown a logic game or a RC passage that you were absolutely unprepared for and it's unlike anything on previous PTs.

crestor

Postby crestor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 pm

fuck that shit. think you are going to score UP.

RichyD23

Postby RichyD23 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:34 pm

^I dig it. Thanks boss

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:15 pm

I read somewhere a study about the two types of high-performing personalities in academic environments - it may be relevant to this situation, as for many of us we are doing a prolonged period of LSAT study (through practice tests, reading through textbooks/workbooks, taking notes, etc) and then having a "final".

The first are people who do very well in the studying portion - the 'consistent' people. These are people for whom they do best on take-home problem sets, papers, etc. However these people often experience a decrease in score in the actual event. Therefore for these people they have to either study much harder to compensate and try to shave some more gains into the actual event or find ways to alleviate their performance anxiety. For them, the problem isn't that they couldn't get a perfect score based on their knowledge and ability, but rather they are unable to actualize it when under a stress pressure.

The second are people who are more lax in terms of the "daily grind" kind of work but who are star performers on test day. These are people who, in this context, may score 164's to 167's and then suddenly on test day score a 170.

I am unsure where the link to the study/paper is, but if I find it I'll post it too. I hope though this hypothesis can be a productive thought-jolter into this discussion of test day performance versus pre-test day performance.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:12 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:The first are people who do very well in the studying portion - the 'consistent' people. These are people for whom they do best on take-home problem sets, papers, etc. However these people often experience a decrease in score in the actual event.

The second are people who are more lax in terms of the "daily grind" kind of work but who are star performers on test day. These are people who, in this context, may score 164's to 167's and then suddenly on test day score a 170.

Sounds like this covers all the possibilities:
1) Study a lot and do well
2) Study a lot and don't do as well
3) Don't study and do well

So it kinda has to be true :) The only group missing is the "don't study and don't do well", but they're not high-performing personalities.

To OP - expect a few point dip. That's the norm. You may see a small jump. Don't expect anything crazy. But your PT average for the week or two beforehand is a good indicator of the general range, unless you have a tendency to completely freeze up under pressure.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”