Tips on Jumping from 160s to 170s

Tips on Jumping from 160s to 170s

Postby frankib » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to bump up my score. I'm currently hovering between 163-168. But i want to break into the 170s before october 5th, when I sit the Lsat. I usually get a perfect, or near perfect, score on the logic games section. When I began studying at the beginning of July, I didn't have any problems with RC, and then all of a sudden I hit a wall, I've slowly built back up to less than 3 mistakes in RC, but I can't seem to keep any dramatic improvements in my LR sections. I've been reviewing old sections of Lsats in the Kaplan books, have read all the powerscore books, write explanations for mistakes and uncertain questions after each exam and have practiced my speed reading, and meet with a tutor around once a week. Is there any other way I can work on improving?

Re: Tips on Jumping from 160s to 170s

Postby Jeffort » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:18 pm

As you probably already know, you really have to figure out all the specific issues you are having that are causing you to miss LR and RC questions and then figure out how to fix them. That means after each practice test you need to figure out exactly why you missed each question you got wrong. You need to get as detailed as possible in determining the exact cause(s) behind every incorrect answer you selected in terms of the exact mistakes you made. There can be more than one reason/mistake responsible for each missed question so be as thorough and detailed as possible. For example, just saying you missed a particular question due to a careless mistake is not good enough analysis, you need to be clear about exactly what you were careless with, why, and how it lead to an incorrect answer.

Since you are working with a tutor, (s)he is in a much better position to be familiar with your strengths and weaknesses in order to help you evaluate your current performance (assuming you have a good tutor) and things that could use work than anyone here can unless you post some detailed information about your current performance issues. What types of things are you aware of that are causing you to lose points?

Before you can determine what to do to improve your performance it's essential to figure out the problems that are holding you back so you know what to focus on for more improvement.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby JWP1022 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:19 pm

1. Ace LG

2. Study at least the first six chapters of the Manhattan Logical Reasoning guide.

Postby drevo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:24 pm

JWP1022 wrote:1. Ace LG

2. Study at least the first six chapters of the Manhattan Logical Reasoning guide.

Credited. I was decent at LR before but Manhattan LR really helped me consistently get -2 to -4 with my mistakes usually being dumb things like picking a strengthen when it says weaken or forgetting that it says EXCEPT.

If you are consistently hitting -3 or so on RC and have a grip on LG you are golden with the help of Manhattan and drilling. I've been in the 173-174 range for a couple weeks now with the big issue for me being RC fluctuations and the above mentioned dumb mistakes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”